Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2001 6:38:42 AM EDT
I saw the other thread here about what type of a dog would be good for a guy in an apartment and a beagle was recommended a few times.  I am in a similar situation, and looking for a dog but have a couple questions.

I am in a townhouse with 1500 sq ft, but obviously do not have a fenced lawn.  Everything I have read about beagles has said you will need a fenced yard.  Is this just because they like to run, or is it becuase they like to be outside for extended periods of time?  I don't have a problem keeping them on a leash all they time, but will they not be happy with this scenario.

Any idea how well they get along with cats?  How do they like cold weather?  I live in Minnesota, so any exercise it gets will be in the winter.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:41:42 AM EDT
[#1]
i like garlic ones, toasted, with cream cheese.
huh? oh, beagles.....sorry i thought u said.......
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Beagle are wonderful dogs.  As a kid my great-father always had 5-6 of them and we hunted rabbits almost every weekend.  I have owned 3 beagles in my adult life time. I have one now that is 10 years old.

You do need a yard that is fenced.  They are driven by their sense of smell.  They'll get on a trail and become oblivious to everything else in the world.  They'll trail something for hours then look up and be lost.  They are marvelous to watch track something.  I mean they lock in like radar.  When I was a kid hunting with my grand-dad a sometimes one of them would get lost and we'd have to come back the next day to find it.

Living in an apartment with one is not a good idea, I know from experience.  They need plenty of exercise and opportunities to utilize thier scenting talents.  Keeping mine indoors most of the time was a bad idea.  He would get bored and chew things.  Besides without the daily exercise they will get fat very quickly.

Cold weather is ok for them.  Mine always chases cats but won't fight them.

For apartment/townhome living I would suggest you look at other bread, preferably a non-working/hunting type, that is unless you will be hunting and working them a lot.

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Beagles and Black Powder!

[img]http://www.peanuts.com/comics/peanuts/d_history/images/d_snoop.gif[/img]

Nuckles.   [smash]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#4]
beagles ar known to be sweet loving pets
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Very smart and sweet breed BUT they bark. Everyone talks about small breeds for apartments … I talk about ones that wont bark.

Aikita – personal fave (but not if you have kids)

Husky – If you have kids
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Beagles are for the MOST part not "Barker's" They will occasionally howl....
HKer,
If you want some great info and links to better info plus personal experience information shoot me a e-mail.

John
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
beagles ar known to be butt headed, hard to train and dumb....steer clear
View Quote

Before making a statement like that you should at least learn about the breed. What most people fail to realize is that Beagles are scent hounds and pack dogs. They are a lot different from the average lap dog or Lab in the back yard....and therefore training and behaviors are going to be different from what most people know.

"Dumb."...
There is no such thing as a Dumb Dog just a Dumb dog owner....

John
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Beagles are for the MOST part not "Barker's" They will occasionally howl....
HKer,
If you want some great info and links to better info plus personal experience information shoot me a e-mail.

John
View Quote

LOL My father in law has two of them a chocolate and a standard. They never quit barking (guess it’s just his dogs that want to hunt 24hrs a day)
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]
My beagles like to run and they bay a lot.
I can't imagine them in a city.
They shed a bunch.
They are the best dogs on Earth!
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I saw the other thread here about what type of a dog would be good for a guy in an apartment and a beagle was recommended a few times.  I am in a similar situation, and looking for a dog but have a couple questions.

I am in a townhouse with 1500 sq ft, but obviously do not have a fenced lawn.  Everything I have read about beagles has said you will need a fenced yard.  Is this just because they like to run, or is it becuase they like to be outside for extended periods of time?  I don't have a problem keeping them on a leash all they time, but will they not be happy with this scenario.

Any idea how well they get along with cats?  How do they like cold weather?  I live in Minnesota, so any exercise it gets will be in the winter.  Thanks for the info.
View Quote

I don't have a fenced in yard, I just use one of those cords where you attach one end to a corkscrew into the ground and the other to the dogs collar like a leash.  You can get them at any pet store and they come in many different lengths.  Mine's probably 25 feet.

As for cold weather, I live in MN like you and my beagle doesn't mind it too much.  When it gets bitter cold out (below zero degrees f) he'll lift his paws and limp with certain legs (or not use one at all).  He likes to stay inside except to relieve himself when it gets like that.  I certainly wouldn't leave them out too long in harsh weather (including 90+ degree humid weather).

As others have mentioned, you should walk it daily because they have a tendency to get fat otherwise....  I recommend one of those leashes where the cord can be coiled up within the handle so you have a leash length from 3 feet to 20 or more.  This is because they really like to sniff everything outside, so it's nice to give them some room to run sometimes.

If there's anything else I can try to answer it, certainly someone here will be able to answer.  So ask away.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
beagles ar known to be butt headed, hard to train and dumb....steer clear
View Quote

That is absolutely the most ignorant thing I've ever heard.  My personal experience with my Suzy has been quite different.  She was the sweetest dog and very intelligent.  She was also very, very energetic.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#12]
The hunting dogs will bay a lot but when your sitting at home watching TV they will lay around quietly unless you have activity outside your door......

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top