Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2008 11:53:12 PM EDT
So I was at the fun store today, and picked up a live smoke grenade, is there a special way I should be storing this?

It's an ALS Technologies White Smoke Grenade, the model is ALSG972.  It has an Aluminum body with yellow lettering, and an OD Green Military type fuse, theres a white sticker on top of the spoon thats labeled 041201, it appears to be covering up some black lettering.  The side of the fuse body has an embossed E, and theres a white washer between the Grenade body, and the Fuse.  The "smoke holes" are all sealed with silver colored stickers, theres 1 large hole in the bottom, and 4 small holes in the top clustered around the Fuse, the top holes have little bits of paper stuck to them, and the stickers are affixed from the inside, I think the paper is just packaging material that got stuck to them, as theres some dust, and crap on them to.

Does any one know the delay on the fuse?, how accurate is that time?

Is this just a standard Smoke Grenade, or is it White Phosphorus?

How much smoke will this produce?, and how thick will it be?

How long does it take for the smoke to billow all the way up to maximum density?

Whats the minimum safe distance?

Is the smoke toxic at all?

Should Eye, and Ear protection be used?

I'm not planning on using this right away if at all, I mainly bought it for the cool factor, and possible use should the SHTF, or just in case  get incredibly bored in an open area.  So is there anything special I should do to store this short of the obvious don't pull the pin?

For anyone wondering I am unaware of any law barring the possession of smoke grenades so this is perfectly legal, any laws about it would be on the state, or local level, and I don't have any.  Tear Gas is also legal, but unfortunately not in Michigan

The same shop also had what appeared to be Military Surplus Smoke Grenades, in I believe Green, and Red, I bought the only White.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#1]
google is your friend I googled the model number and
http://www.gearzoneproducts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2296
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely with the pins in.

From using a smoke grenade, they hiss a lot, get very hot, and spew a lot of smoke, but it takes them a little time to really start spewing. I think it burned for maybe 30 minutes, smoke went a few hundred feet, we all stood pretty close to it, I don't remember it bothering anyone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:59:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Just store it somewhere fairly cool (not in direct sunlight) and you'll be fine.

Do be aware that they get VERY hot while burning and do pose a fire hazard.

I'm not familiar with that specific type but some smokes draw a lot of oxygen and can be very nasty when used indoors (don't ask me how I know...)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top