Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2008 6:44:17 PM EDT
How, where do you carry your spare mags during a string of fire for reloads? Do you wear a vest, or a belt that has mag holders? I'm just getting into this, so I'm looking for options. Right now all I have is an old issue pistol belt and some 70's-80's issue G.I. mag pouches.

Thanks,
Scott.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There is probably a better forum for quality answers, but I use a molle vest.  experiment until you find what works best for you.  Others in my militia err, target shooting club use chest rigs
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Tactical Tailor Mav with the 3 pouch mag panel and the X harness and it works really well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I much prefer a kydex mag holder worn on the belt. I like Blade-tech's mag holder.

www.blade-tech.com/Magazine-Pouch-AR-15-with-Tek-Lok-pr-868.html

They are much cheaper than any kind of vest, and work as well or better.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
don't forget a dump pouch, saves stepping on or losing mags, & other utility pouches ect.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a belt pouch thing to carry my clips. It has individual pouches for each clip and a flap on top to keep them from falling out.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
don't forget a dump pouch, saves stepping on or losing mags, & other utility pouches ect.

yeah, it depends on the competition though. I tend to just leave my clips laying until the stage is over.  

If it was for real, keeping up with my clips would be my last concern.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
You compete with a Garand?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I always use my pockets on my pants.
But that is how I expect to be dressed when/if I ever need to use a carbine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out threegungear.com.  I use a couple belt pouches for 223 mags, and I have a triple pouch thigh rig for .308 mags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You compete with a Garand?

Huh?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I much prefer a kydex mag holder worn on the belt. I like Blade-tech's mag holder.

I agree. Over hte course of the last 4 years I have tried everything from full on vests to a couple simple belt worn holders and pouches and that seems to be the best for me.

Unless your a gamer the best thing you can get from these matches besides the trigger time is the testing of different gear. Change things up. Try new combinations/gear/guns. Try what you have within arms reach at home. Try what you would grab if you had hours to gear up.

Best to try and fail now then find out that highspeed gear you picked up and never used doesnt really work as you thought.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I typically use either an HSGI Weesatch plate carrier, Kydex mag carriers on my belt or the Magical Murder Bag.

Train to retain your magazines. Some use a dump pouch and some just use the thigh pockets on BDU's/5.11's/etc.

If you do it "for real" you may end up needing that partially depleted magazine later on. Better to be looking at it than looking for it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]
First and foremost competition is a way to practice skills and evaluate gear for the possibility that I would ever need to use it for real.  So I only use guns and equipment that I would want for real.  That excludes most of the "gamer" gear you will see around.

For rifle/multigun that means a chest rig and for pistol only matches that means duplicating my carry rig as close as possible.

YMMV

Currently I am evaluating this custom 5 cell + MOLLE rig from armchar tactical made by board member "thereisnospoon"

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I use the matches to evaluate gear as well. To the OP you may want to think about what else you would use the gear for.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I like these too.

Fast, practical, and inexpensive.

Shared muscle memory from loading a pistol.  You can mix and match them with pistol mags, etc.

And, to me, from a self defense point of view, they are much more practical.  It is an easy way to carry an extra mag.  You can leave a mag in it and slip it onto your belt at any time in any clothing as long as you have a belt on.  It won't attract attention the way you would if you got all jocked up in a plate carrier.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top