Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2008 3:40:08 PM EDT
I have a recipe for a food item that would sell year round.  People have to make it themselves and few can do it well.  It could be prepared and canned with a decent shelf life.

How does a person bring something like to the consumer?  Marketing would have to be involved but this stuff would take off through word of mouth.

I am clueless on this topic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
does it not lend itself to internet sales?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a recipe for a food item that would sell year round.  People have to make it themselves and few can do it well.  It could be prepared and canned with a decent shelf life.

How does a person bring something like to the consumer?  Marketing would have to be involved but this stuff would take off through word of mouth.

Read up on Ben and Jerry's...?

I'm not sure if it's still Kosher to go THEIR route (I "think" they distributed out of a garage) but who knows...?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
does it not lend itself to internet sales?

Never even thought of that.  Good one!

The main obstacle would be the large scale batches and the actual canning process.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Pangea, if you're gonna get in the inventing biz you've got to know who to trust and you have to put all your trust in that person.  PM me the details of your idea and I will dispense sound advice.    Trust me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read up on Ben and Jerry's...?

I'm not sure if it's still Kosher to go THEIR route (I "think" they distributed out of a garage) but who knows...?

Also the Masterpiece BBQ sauce guy. He started making it for large party's at his house, then for his neighbors, and soon for sale in his city. After running a test market in Colorado where it sold very well he finally started branching out to other markets, and so on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#6]
by truck.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking for an IM?  or is it PM?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
my idea for gefilte fish flavored bubble gum was a bomb...
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
my idea for gefilte fish flavored bubble gum was a bomb...

I sure would have bought some.  Gifelte fish ROCKS!  Really, I've been known to down 2 jars.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Working on this problem myself for a client.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
First you must get licensed and approved to make food for human consumption.

Contact your State's Health Dept. and/or state USDA-FSIS office.  They will forward you to whoever is in charge of food production/inspection/approval. They will guide you thru the process of getting a good product to market.
Some highlights:
Your production area will have to be inspected, a.k.a. sinks, utensils, cleaning process,packaging, etc.

Your "recipe" will also have to be tested by a food lab for labeling....protein,fat,carb, fiber etc.  (same as the label you see on commercial foods).

You may have to deal with "Weights & Measures" folks as well. Some states are very picky about this....depending on whether you sell by weight or volume.

This will cost you some upfront money but will save you in the long run.

Be careful about internet sales w/o proper licenses. Several folks do it, but they are playing fast and loose. Some states like to do "internet sweeps" on people selling to their state--this can result in either a ban on sales and/or fines.

It only takes one food poisoning lawsuit (real or not) to put you in the poor house, or discredit your product.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
First you must get licensed and approved to make food for human consumption.

Contact your State's Health Dept. and/or state USDA-FSIS office.  They will forward you to whoever is in charge of food production/inspection/approval. They will guide you thru the process of getting a good product to market.
Some highlights:
Your production area will have to be inspected, a.k.a. sinks, utensils, cleaning process,packaging, etc.

Your "recipe" will also have to be tested by a food lab for labeling....protein,fat,carb, fiber etc.  (same as the label you see on commercial foods).

You may have to deal with "Weights & Measures" folks as well. Some states are very picky about this....depending on whether you sell by weight or volume.

This will cost you some upfront money but will save you in the long run.

Be careful about internet sales w/o proper licenses. Several folks do it, but they are playing fast and loose. Some states like to do "internet sweeps" on people selling to their state--this can result in either a ban on sales and/or fines.

It only takes one food poisoning lawsuit (real or not) to put you in the poor house, or discredit your product.

All that is why I was hoping that I could just bring my recipe to a food processing operation to be processed and canned under their operation umbrella.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Find a similar (in terms of how its packaged) product, and find out how they did it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top