Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2001 7:58:08 AM EDT
In reference to this topic: [url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=66133[/url]

I'm wondering,  do each of you already have a lawyer on standby who will represent you?  Or are you like me, having never talked to a lawyer before.

Should all of us call around and get friendly with a lawyer and keep their phone # in your brain or wallet?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
When I got my CHL, I found a good, well-connected lawyer and introduced myself. He knows what I'll say if I ever have to use my CCW ("I was in fear for my life and shot to stop the threat. I'd like to speak to my attorney now.") and I carry his card in my wallet at all times.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd certainly want a lawyer if/when I get my CHL.

On a related note, how have others gone about selecting the "right" one?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah..I got a bunch of Lawyers in the family plus 2 lawyers that my father keeps on retainer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#5]
It pays to know a good attorney, some honest LEOs (alot are, but make some friends) and maybe even a judge.  

Of course if you can get a Pres Pardon card, that also helps, but those are harder to find than a decent priced Steyr AUG at a gun show.

Ice
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]
So, just how does one find a pro-2nd attorney?  As a job perk, we get a free hour per week of counsel with a lawyer the company has on retainer.  While he is a nice guy, he doesn't willingly assist with firearm-related issues.  Also, I've actually read the state firearm laws, so I'm one step ahead of him.  Also, he doesn't have any criminal law experience.  So, I think I need to find someone else.

I need help fighting for a CWP, and I want someone that can be there for me if something happens when (well, if) I'm allowed to carry.  I work with a bunch of former-LEO's, so while I have permission of the owner of the company to carry, I'm afraid one of them will try to cause trouble if they find-out.  I'd like to find someone with criminal experience, but I don't have any good friends or family that's worked with a criminal lawyer before.  Basically, I'm in the dark.  So, how do we match-up gun owners and lawyers that are willing to help us?  I could just pick one lawyer at random and ask for his card, but picking the wrong one could be very costly in the long run.z

Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Last March I needed an attorney with experience in firearms laws.  I contacted the NRA (ILA actually) who gave me a list of attorneys in my area and I also asked around here on the forums and on a couple of email lists.

I picked George Freeman in Fairfax.  He did a good job and I keep his card in my wallet in case I ever need his services again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#9]
That's a good idea, Hoplophile, especially since the NRA HQ is a couple miles down the road.  Should have a nice list of pro attorneys in the area.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#10]
It is smart to have a good attorney whom you or your parents or spouse will know to call for you if your ever in a jam. Pay the money for the best one you can afford, when your freedom is on the line is no time to economize. Make sure your friend/attorney can refer other good attorneys who specialize in various fields such as federal cases, firearms law, use of force etc. Also can refer you to good attorneys who are out of state if you happen to get in a jam away from home. There is a growing trend towards pre paid legal, kind of like insurance that provides legal representation. You pay periodic premiums like with your insurance plans. That may not be a bad idea since most prosecutors are happy to spend the tax payers money to pressure you into a deal that if you fought would break you financially regardless of your innocence.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#11]
No...All I got is the "Prepaid Legal" thing that is part of my Company benefit.  It's a joke but it's better than nothing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Luckily, I am in a similar situation as HiramRanger.  Even luckier is that in my case,  he's my Dad. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top