Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2001 9:09:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
that show on MG was ASS, i turned off in the first 10 minutes. the opening montage was of assault rifles and their "experts" were peter kokalis from soldier of fortune...please.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was okay, but what happened?
They go to commercial and next thing I know they went from Germany in WW2 to a blurb on the new "super" machine guns.  They totally missed 90% of the story.  Didn't hear them mention Browning once.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
This show really sucked!  Started out talking about how Gattling's gun slaughtered Zulu's in South Africa and Cecil Rhodes's pacification of the indeginious people in the Congo area.  Oh yes the Russians also slaughters lots of people with it too!

It implied that machine gun enabled the Europeans to colonize the "great societies" in Afica.  More evil followed during World War I by the Maxim and Vickers followed by the Tompson(?) reaking havoc by gangsters during probihition.

The next subject was the Nazi's and the MP-40, MP-34(?) then switched to Aushwitz and the Houlocust(?).  WTH?  This is a show on machine guns.  At this point, I shut it off.  

Typical liberal BS, rewriting history.  MG should be banned from the earth.  None of the previously mentioned events would have occurred if MG weren't around.  BS!

There was no mention of American MG's at all.  What about the BAR, Lewis, Browning .30, Chauchaught(?), or Grease Gun.  The History Channel does a much better job.  It's show talks about the evolution of MG thru time to the presend with no polical spin.

Screw the Discovery Channel!

Spambo

Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't believe I watched the whole thing. I kept waiting for them to move past WWII. About :50 into it I was wondering if it was a two or three parter and got really upset when that was all they were going to do. What a joke.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#6]
What a disappointment.Hardly any technical history of MG's and more about Jew's suffering in concentration camps.I think the shows title misrepresented the program and it was a disservice to the viewers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#7]
spambo-  The cheaucheaut (I have no idea how it's spelled either) was French, not American.  It was also a total piece of crap, not exactly something we should even want to claim.  

"Do what you will,
just don't give us false credit for bad shit."
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I also stumbled into this show & like the others I was repulsed by the clear PC slant of the writers. No wonder we folks prefer the History Channel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#9]
im glad you all agree. a history of MGs without john browning is like a history of the automobile without henry ford. revisionist garbage!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Discovery is a bunch of liberal crap. I used to like it but more and more it has become more fodder from the liberal media dungpile. I think I am just about done with television. Anymore we only watch FoxNews and my wife likes that stupid show Charmed. If it weren't for Band of Brothers and Sopranos, I'd have cancelled the cable service long ago.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Discovery is a bunch of liberal crap. I used to like it but more and more it has become more fodder from the liberal media dungpile. I think I am just about done with television. Anymore we only watch FoxNews and my wife likes that stupid show Charmed. If it weren't for Band of Brothers and Sopranos, I'd have cancelled the cable service long ago.
View Quote

Have you not yet checked out the History Channel?  "History of the Gun" was a series that was wonderful in its detail & accuracy. The Great Ships series is pretty cool as is Military Blunders. I admit to getting PO'd when watching the latter & seeing poor footsoldiers getting the brunt of a sorry-assed command decision.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I watched the show and was disappointed.  It was marginally educational, but spent most time on:
Machine guns are BAD BAD BAD
Machine guns KILL KILL KILL
Machine guns OPPRESS OPPRESS OPPRESS
They gratuitiously threw in the Holocaust, when the involvement of machine guns in murdering Jews was minimal.  The SS Einsatzgruppen in the USSR in 1941 shot hundreds of thousands of Jews, gypsies and Russians, but they usually got a bullet in the back of the head.
They spent no time whatsoever on any sporting or legitimate defensive use of machine guns.

Was very disappointed.  The "metal storm" machine gun at the very end was interesting, but they spent about 47 seconds in a less than detailed examination, when it is actually a very radical concept.  Also, a factual error:  they claimed that the inventor intends to target the "civilian market in the US", despite the ban on post 1986 machine guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top