Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2001 4:36:14 PM EDT
Help !!

I am clueless.  I have never been camping in my life and have very little experience with the utilization of camping equipment.  

I just bought a few Coleman Propane Stoves from Campmor. (for my bug-out-bag --hehehe)

They are the self-lighting style (green metal case w/ 2 burners).

They use 1lb. propane cylinders and I also bought the hose adapter to allow use with the 25lb bbq style tanks.

Here's the question:   How much propane will the stove use?  Ie:  How many hours will the stove work before having to replace the 1lb. cylinder?  

Also..  is it safe to use indoors in case of a emergency or [red]*cough*[/red] terrorist strike?

(I have AC carbon monoxide detectors w/ battery backup located throughout the house and a very comprehensive fire alarm system -- AND I'd only use it w/ a fire extinguisher close at hand) Hell..  I can even wear turnout gear!

Thanks in advance!!!!
You guys know EVERYTHING about the outdoors and I am pretty much a lazy ass couch potato.

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Oops..  forgot to add:

How long would the 1lb. cylinder last (aprox.) with one burner lit AND how long with both lit?
(I am assuming it would be 1/2 of the time w/ 2 running, right?)

Thanks !
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]
There are 21,567 btu in a pound of propane. Assuming your cookstove burners are 10,000 BTU apiece, you should be able to run one for a little over 2 hours, or two for just about an hour.

That BBQ propane tank is probably a 20 pound model, which holds 4.72 gallons, or   431,613 BTU — enough to run one burner for over 43 hours.

Forgot to add that propane stoves are plenty safe for use indoors — one  of the cleanest burning fuels around — certainly as clean as the natural gas stoves that many homes have. Now, I wouldn't recommend running the propane barbecue grill indoors...

(Anyone happen to know if Hank Hill is an NRA member? He seems like the kind that would be a lifetime member...)
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was in college I had one setup in my dorm room.  When I cooked I set it infront of the window with a fan blowing outside.  I'm still here, so that type of setup must be ok, at least for short uses.

I used it mainly to fry chicken and kept it on low heat.  I'm not sure how much gas it used, but I don't remember having to change the bottle on it at all.  So one bottle should last quite awhile if used sparingly.  Just as a very rough guess, I think you would be able to get 8 to 10 hours out of one bottle.

Good thing I never got busted while using it.  I'm sure that would have had big smiles on their face while kicking me out of the dorms, as they didn't like me too much.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The only problem with propane is it freezes in cold temps. so if you are doing any cold weather camping keep a bottle insulated. Propane is easier to use and cleaner than keroseen but like I said it can freeze in the tank.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The safety issue with propane is that it's heavier then air and will sink to the lowest level of the house if it leaks from the cylinder.  If that happens and you have an oil or gas fired device or other ignition source in the basement and it fires up it will blow the house up.  20lb propane cylinders should never be stored or used indoors.

Unless a propane device is certified for indoor use it should not be used indoors.

[url]http://www.gasco-propane.com/Files/safety.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
If using indoors, to be on the safe side, mix a solution of 25% liquide soap to 75% water and put in a spray bottle and spray all connections to check for leaks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]
RBAD's original question was:

Also.. is it safe to use indoors in case of a emergency or raghead terrorist strike?
View Quote

He's not planning on using it all the time indoors, or installing it permanently. The correct answer to his question is "Yes."

(mutter-mutter...bunch of worry-warts hanging around here!)
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Skibane, if you want to let propane leak in your house for even one night thats fine with me but please warn your neighbors because I've seen what it can do.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
How long a 1 lb. bottle lasts depends on more than just how many BTU are available. Lots of things come into play.
How many people are you cooking for?
How many hot meals a day will you cook?
What are you cooking? (boiling water takes little time, simmering your 10 qts of home made chili for the frat brothers consumes a lot)
What is the ambient temp?
What is the altitude? (propane is not as efficient at cold temps and high altitudes)
Are you all day long coffee dependant? [:D]

Used wisely and sparingly under the right conditions a few 1 lb. bottles of propane CAN go a very long way.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Do your self a favor, Go buy the colman lanterns The supersmall ones There sold at walmarts and targets. Cost 16.99 each Compact propane lanters Model # 5132-700 They burn up to 32 hrs on low light setting and 12 hrs on full power. Also go buy yourself the Adapter that lets you refill the 1Lb bottle off of a 20 pound tank. Cost 16.99 Sold at Cabalas And just FYI After may 2002 you will no longer be able to get your 20Lb tanks filled or Exchanged unless it is the OPD valve style, Keep that in mind when buying tanks.    
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I grew up in a house where the stove, oven, water heater and furnace all burned propane from a monster size tank in the back yard, so yes it is safe.  T

There are some guidelines to follow:

- Like others have said propane is heavier than air and will sink.  If you have a basement then you'd better be *very* careful.

- As with any gas, CO buildup could be an issue so have some ventilation and do not go to sleep with it burning.

- Related to the above is that the O in the CO comes out of the air that you're trying to breathe so be extra sure of the ventilation.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I doubt propane would ever freeze here on earth.  Butane will lose its pressure at colder temps but propane will always have enough pressure to function in stoves and the like unless you are at the poles or at 20,000 feet.  Besides, once you get the stove lit, you have enough heat to raise the pressure just from the radiation near the stove.

This is the best fuel IF you get a bulk tank, a reuseable cylinder and the transfer set-up.  Propane by the cylinder is too expensive for my taste.  $4 per pound vs. $0.20 in bulk.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#15]
You guys are damn amazing !  

Thanks for all of the help...

Whenever I have a question, regardless of the subject matter, I know I can always count on the AR15.com family!

BTW:  I tried a little experiment last night.
I started up one of the stoves with a fresh cylinder.  With both burners on (high setting), it ran for about 4.5 hours straight.

Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
RBAD, what ever happened to that great idea you had? You know, a survival...I mean "camping and outdoors" forum. I just picked up a 3000 btu coleman heater from BJs wholesale club. ($40 with electronic start, most internet places sell it for $55-60) Its the only propane stove that is approved for use inside of an enclosed area (requires a 3"x3" opening for oxygen) I wanted to hook it up to the bulk adaptor but it is not recommended by coleman (I wonder why?) Its supposed to run for 6 hours on a 1 lb tank and the little heater gets pretty hot, plenty to heat a small room. Lets get together sometime and do some shooting and Ill tell you all that I don't know about survival....I mean camping and outdoors, Greg from JCA tells me that your from North Jersey. Good luck.
View Quote

Geez..  I completely forgot about doing that.
I'll reach out to the master goat tonight so we can get it running ASAP.

We should get together..  We try to make it down to the Bullethole on Saturdays and go out to Sunset Hill in the summer.

What part of Joyzee are 'ya from?

BTW:  Greg really got fucked HARD by the BATF. [:(]  
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Not exactly an answer to your question but here is a cool stove that will run on a variety of fuels (white gas, jet fuel, auto gas, etc.), is compact and lightweight.
[url]http://www.msrcorp.com/prod/prod_stoves1.htm#4[/url]

[img]http://www.msrcorp.com/prod/prodimages/wl_int_600.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not exactly an answer to your question but here is a cool stove that will run on a variety of fuels (white gas, jet fuel, auto gas, etc.), is compact and lightweight.
View Quote

If you are going to use those camping gasoline stoves, besure that you add some fuel preservatives to the the gasoline because in the long term the gasoline will deterioate. I think the local Walmart stocks them in the automotive section.  Propane will last forever, whereas gasoline will deteriotate into varnish.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I doubt propane would ever freeze here on earth.  Butane will lose its pressure at colder temps but propane will always have enough pressure to function in stoves and the like unless you are at the poles or at 20,000 feet.  Besides, once you get the stove lit, you have enough heat to raise the pressure just from the radiation near the stove.

This is the best fuel IF you get a bulk tank, a reuseable cylinder and the transfer set-up.  Propane by the cylinder is too expensive for my taste.  $4 per pound vs. $0.20 in bulk.  

View Quote

Thats funny multiple times while elk hunting the one pound tanks go clunk when you turn them upside down and wont release enough pressure to light. This is with temps in single digits. You may not have this problem in Texas but much of the rest of the good ol USA does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top