Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2001 3:30:22 PM EDT
I was just hoping to get some input on a Century Arms FN/FAL I just saw at the local shop, in .308.
Price was $599

[BOUNCE]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
SHort answer is if they are built on Imbel receievers, there's hope it could be a decent rifle someday.  If they are on Hesse receivers, wait.  
Also, check out [url]http://www.fnfal.com[/url].  They have their set of opinions you may want to hear about Century.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
DSA STG58
Enough said!

Ybbeat
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought mine a year ago, and enjoy mine quite a bit. Though I did have to spend a little bit more to get it running properly, so be warned. I had to have the gas port cleared, and put in a new gas piston. I also put an original buttstock on it. But got a FAL with a real accurate barrel for about $700.

You may also look into the STG58's that DSA are selling which are a little bit more, but from what I here are nice. And quite a bit cheaper than their US made FAL's. This may be the way to go if you don't want the hassle of having to fix the Century up if it doesn't run right out of the box. But then, some people have had theirs shoot great right off the bat, so.....  
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
First, that's a little high.

You can order these from FAC (Guns-N-Stuff) in L1A1 config for $427 (Hesse receiver, I think) and in STG58 config (IMBEL) for $549.

Now, as to the quality.  You are going to get three responses.

1/3 of people are the Centruy Arms haters that tell you anything they make is junk.  These people will tell you to get a DSA.

1/3 of people will tell you that sometimes they assemble a decent rifle, sometimes they make crap.  So it's a crap shoot as to what you might get.  They do have a reputation for some rifles not working out of the box.  These people will tell you to take your chances, or get a DSA and be sure.

1/3 of people will tell you about their great experience with their Century purchase, and how happy they are to get a great rifle at a great price.

So... where do I fit in?  Somewhere in the middle.  I have "had" to work on both Century rifles I own.

I have a Century FAL, STG58.  I LOVE it.  However, after reading about how bad the gas pistons are from Centruy, I decided to go ahead and install a DSA gas piston for $35.  I dont know if mine would have bent over time, but I figured for $35 why chance it.  I also replaced the fire control components with FSE ($50) but I really dont think thats necessary...

So, if price is your main concern, and you dont mind adding $35 to the cost replacing the gas piston, then I say go for it.  (plan for ~$600 total)  

However, if you want a pristine rifle, with a better finish, that will function right out of the box very well, then go with DSArms.  You will pay for it tho.  ($800 to $1000)  FAC also sells these for $800.

Here's mine:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/022/ka/gF/Qn/Aw92896.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
FALARAK,
You got it down bro....
Here's mine in the middle

DSA STG58 Carbine
[img]http://photoasa.com/disk3/3261/109165_blkrifles.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
First, that's a little high.

You can order these from FAC (Guns-N-Stuff) in L1A1 config for $427 (Hesse receiver, I think) and in STG58 config (IMBEL) for $549.

First of all DO NOT!, and I repeat DO NOT! buy one on a Hesse receiver. Make sure and get one with an Imbel.
Also, sure you can order the Imbels for a bit less wholesale. But you'll have to pay an FFL dealer for them to do the transfer, and shipping and handling. So really it would be about the same. Unless you know someone who does transfers real cheap.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the Hesse statements, from what I have read.  Since I have not owned or seen one... just pointing out that other alternatives are out there.

Also, forgot to point out, I paid $499 for mine, from AIMSurplus.  They are out.... at least on their wep page.  

And true, you would have to add shipping and FFL... so that factor's in.

I have a buddy who is an FFL.  Good thing to have.  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, Ybbeat...

Where did you get that BIG mag?  I keep seeing those in pics... never seen one at a show.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
FALRAK,
Man these 30 Rnders are absolute perfection!
Soooooooooo much fun and they work flawlessly too!
The secret.......
DSA!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
ahh, fn fals, one of my favorite rifles. reliable, soft recoil, accurate, and very user friendly. just GET ONE! you really need one, you know----[:)]
willy
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I was surprised how light the recoil is.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FALRAK,
Man these 30 Rnders are absolute perfection!
Soooooooooo much fun and they work flawlessly too!
The secret.......
DSA!
View Quote

OUCH!  Those things are $65 for mine!

I'll stick with 20 rounders for $5.

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#13]
FALRAK,
Yea they are a bit expensive but I had to have to for my collection!
If you get the extra cash I highly recomend having at least one!

Cheers,
Ybbeat
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
It took me 8 years to find a cherry, imported FN-FAL from Argentina.  It was the second FN I had ever fired, a C1A1 being the first.  I sold an M-14 that I loved to purchase the FN and haven't missed it for a minute since.  Nothing really shoots like an FN and once you've fired a real one, nothing else compares.  Since pre-bans are rare and expensive, be careful where you purchase these parts guns from.  Imbel receivers are the way to go, as far as a foundation to build from.  DSA is still the best post-ban product on the market, unless you scrutinize the workman's ship on a lessor Century or Hesse product and find a decently assembled piece.  Try www.FNFAL.com for technical information.  The user's group message list is especially informative with respect to FNs, AR-15s and AK variants.  Good luck on your search and have fun at the range!
[sniper]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I've rebuilt about a hundred of these CAI guns and I fall in the middle too.

Too bad for them, they got some real nice kits and then let their trained chimps mess them up.

I've got a complete pricing structure on refurbing these guns.

D. www.azexarms.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top