Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2001 9:45:45 AM EDT
I don't know what it is, but I'm nervous that something is going to happen tonight.  I haven't been worried about antrhax or armed terrorists in the streets, but this morning I woke up feeling anxious and it's not getting any better.  The only plans the wife and I have for the kids tonight is going to the church carnival for "Trunk or Treat" and some trick ou treating in our in-laws neighborhood, where we know most of the people.  Still, I'd rather stay home tonight.

May God keep all of us and our families safe.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]
We live in a very ethnic neighborhood. There are many, many Midlle Easterners as well as Orientals and Eastern Europeans. Most, if not all, are high tech professional. It will be very interesting to see the turnout (as well as choices of costumes) for trick or treat tonight.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The only thing that I would fear are the stupid anti-gun soccer moms freaking out and causing mass panic because their kids pixie stick broke open spilling out a white powder.  For some reason it's always the liberal anti-gun soccer moms that over react.  Next they will want people to be licensed and register the candy that they pass out for Holloween.  You know, it's for the children.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I do !!!! I will be out doing the traditional things----barking at a gorgeous full moon, becoming slightly intoxicated, maybe a little broom riding, sacrificing my girlfriend to the gods of.......crackers and cute fluffy bunnies...oops I might have gone too far.

Be careful out there and please, for those that have kids, give em a hug from me. Especially you DonR!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I know what you mean GBT... My wife, for the first time since all this began asked me if I could stay home from work today... I couldn't - but I'm going to cancel my appointment that I have for tonight and head home early.

I'm not sure that I or my family or even the area I live in may be in harms way, but I don't want to be separated from them should anything happen.

Of course, if nothing happens tonight, there's tomorrow to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#5]
People locally are taking their kids to the local fair grounds for a party, no one seems to want to do the candy thing this year.  I can't blame them.  I'm going with a concealed pistol and I'm also bringing my MP5K in a little bag with a few magazines.  If some Arab gets a notion to shoot the place up, he's going to have a little surprise waiting for him.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the candy and the jack-o-lantern ready. If the local kid don't show up me and the dog are gonna get SICK eating 'milk duds'....
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Why conceal?  Just put a 10 gallon hat on and shome shit kickers and a turkey platter belt buckle, and call yourself a 'cowboy'   Note: this may not work well with the law though...
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I half joked that I was going to dress up as GI JOE tonight and bring the M-16 trick or treating tonight....

Yes, I am woried as an attack on our children scares the hell out of me!  I hope that the would be terrorists are smart enough to leave the kids alone or I will start my own FCKing holly war and I can be much harsher than my Government!

As for the the Terrorist threat to other facilities, I fear that as well but lets be honest, we didn't expect this thing to end overnight, right?  This might be a great time to pray while we keep an eye open for the unexpected!

Oh yea, I will have the Glock, even if the boss said I had to leave the M-16 at home!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I half joked that I was going to dress up as GI JOE tonight and bring the M-16 trick or treating tonight....
View Quote

No joke. It's what I'm doing.  Got the cammies and the cap. Gonna sling the AR15 and walk with the kids.  Since I'm short, fat and old, I figure that it'll be a "hide in plain site" kind of thing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know, but that being said, I will be packing except when in class. I will have my 9mm Carbine & my Revolver.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
The last 2 years I haven't had anyone come to my apartment (more candy for me), but I still bought some candy, and will probably have my glock in its sidearmor(under my shirt) when I answer the door if anyone does come.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#13]
We're lucky enough to live in a small town of about 800 that's an hour from any big cities. Chances are that things will be ok, [i]but[/i]I'll have a Kimber full of Hydrashocks with me just in case. It's makes me mad that our kids can't enjoy Halloween like we did when we were kids.

Thanks hound. The hugs will be given and they'll know who they're from. You and Psyren please stay safe tonight.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No joke. It's what I'm doing.  Got the cammies and the cap. Gonna sling the AR15 and walk with the kids.  Since I'm short, fat and old, I figure that it'll be a "hide in plain site" kind of thing.
View Quote

Put some orange tape around the barrel at the muzzle. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Skipped my college class tonight.  Campus is located 2 miles from Three Mile Island and a couple hundred yards from Harrisburg International Airport.  Decided to stay home with the wife instead in our rural home town.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
...not to mention that tonight's full moon will be the first on halloween in 40+ years...spooky! the next one will be in 2020.

got no kids, but plenty of candy for those who do! however, since i have been labelled as the "gun guy", most kids just walk really fast past my house.
[B)]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I work in a building with 70% Muslim/Middle Eastern population.  I feel very very bad about tonight.  I am not looking forward to working tonight.[:(]
View Quote

That's probably a safer place to be.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I think anyone who says he/she isn't at least a little concerned about tonight is lying -- to us or to themselves. Living near both a military base (Pendleton) and a nuclear power plant (San Onofre) gives me pause. But I'm going to do what our President asked of us; go on an live our lives but be vigilant. So for the kids in my neighborhood, I'll have a bowl of candy -- they'll have a choice of Snickers, Reeses or Milky Ways. For any bad guys who want to get stupid, I'll have the choice -- from a couple of AR's, HK's or maybe I'll go low-tech w/ a Mossberg.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#22]
One of my most creative costumes could be applied well this evening...

I wore a wetsuit and swim fins, painted "whiskers" on my face, taped a beachball to my head, carried a Mossburg 500 pistol grip shotgun, and posed as a [b]"Navy Seal"[/b].

We were at a huge costume party and NOBODY figured it out!  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think anyone who says he/she isn't at least a little concerned about tonight is lying -- to us or to themselves.
View Quote

I'm not concerned.  What's going to happen?  Terrorists running down the streets throwing Anthrax powder into the air?  The terrorist target large scale events to shock the most amount of people and cause the most amount of panick.  If they were going to do anything they would do it at the World Series or some other large scale event.  They aren't going to be picking a non-name suburb and target one or two kids.  They also won't be passing out bad candy or anything else as it would be very easy to track them down.

Also all these so called "safe events" at schools and community centers are a joke.  If someone wanted to do something bad what would be easier, walking all over a suburb hurting kids or showing up at one centeral location where all the kids are gathered?  Obviously by rounding all the kids up and putting them in one centeral location you are making it much easier for someone to do bad things to more kids.  Even those these events would be prime targets, nothing will happen at them either.

All you have to worry about is homegrown problems such as child molesters and such.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#24]
It's 4:30 here, and there's been a steady stream of kids for the last hour and a half.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I am a little concerned every halloween, moreso this year. I am still going to take the kids out tonight, but I will be much heavier armed than usual, just in case. It may not do any good, but it makes me feel a little better.

Edited to add:
If you guys have a bunch of leftover candy, you could send it to me. I wouldn't want you to get sick or anything.[}:D]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I don't have any kids (yet [:D])

I am not very concerned.  I live in the country about 3 miles from town.  We rarely get kids that stop..maybe a friend or two, but most of our friends live 30 miles away.

I always have a handgun with me...so nothing new here on packing a weapon.  I did get the wife involved in loading mags...hehehe I counted it as "quality time"

The nuclear power plant is about 45 miles away from me.  So if that gets hit I guess I just go with the flow and glow!

Oh well, everyone take care and be safe!

medcop
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Since I live in a pretty white-bread subdivision
View Quote

mmmmmmmm...white bread....
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is something that should help put things in perspective.  It was reported that for every hijacker on the planes there were 4 to 5 terrorists on the ground.  That means about 100 terrorists.  Don't get me wrong 100 terrorists that are well funded and coordinated could do a lot of damage.

However, keep this in mind, in Michigan alone there are over 800 cities, towns, and villages.  That means if the terrorists wanted to cause mass problems in Michigan each one would have to cover 8 towns at the same time.  That would also mean nothing would happen anywhere else in the US.  It's because of this the terrorists work together and target large scale events.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#31]
know how kids are always vandalizing on halloween, especially in detroit where they end up buring down a few buildings, wonder if any of those punks will be shot for being terrorists?
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I'm glad to say that there has been nothing out of the ordinary around here in N. Houston.  I'm very glad that my anxiety was for nothing.  I think I'm going to crash.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Being a new parent, An This being the first holloween that my child has had I am nervous but i am nervous by nature. I am concerned about contaminated Candy. Hell if they can mail it out they can get it into the candy supply That makes me real nervous. Any body thought about that???      
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top