Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2001 6:58:27 AM EDT
i always wanted to know what the inside of an m-16 looks like. does anyone have a pic of the inside of an m-16?
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is a photo I took a few months ago.  What you'd probably rather see is a photo of a cut M16.  

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Vi/Oh/ch/uU98481.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
7,  I added your pic to my collection of stuff, I hope you don't mind!

I have a bunch of pictures that might help....

Go to [url]http://briefcase.yahoo.com/quarterbore [/url]

Look in .... "AR-15 and M-16s" Folder

Files that will help...

AR & M-16 internals
AR15 converted to m16
section1
action1

Very simple design.....!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, 7, got enough oil on that thing? You can see it dripping off. I bet that thing sprays oil out when you shoot it!? [;)]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
[b]Hammer up so you can see the internals:[/b]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1207778&a=11644879&p=55857227[/img]

[b]Another angle:[/b]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1207778&a=11644879&p=55857228[/img]
[b]Hammer back:[/b]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1207778&a=11644879&p=55857229[/img]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quarterbore,
That Kaboom must have been an exciting day at the range!  Did you determine the cause?  Bore obstruction?  Scary!
View Quote

One day I will need to get that story in an HTML file as I have the old threads from this forum from about 2-years ago when it happened....

Nobody was hurt....
The cause was attributed to poor reloading practices....  PISTOL POWDER WAS USED to reload some 223 shells!  BIG MISTAKE!  Rappid ignition, high pressure spike... KABOOM... no more POST BAN AR-15 with a PRE-BAN upper!

Note, I didn't see it, I just saved the pictures and the story for my webpage if I ever find the time to work on it!

[url]www.Quarterbore.com[/url]

Funny aside, I just tried to open my own webpage here at work and I can't access it because of the firewall!  Wow, I have made it to the side of the pollitically incorrect... or so my work IP servers thinks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn, 7, got enough oil on that thing? You can see it dripping off. I bet that thing sprays oil out when you shoot it!? [;)]
View Quote

Quarterbore,  np at all.  

SNIPERm88,  I lube it up that way so you'll never want to shoot it.  It might messup your beautiful clothing. lol. [;)]  I've toned down my oiling just a tad.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've toned down my oiling just a tad.
View Quote

Woo Hoo!!![:P]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've toned down my oiling just a tad.
View Quote

Woo Hoo!!![:P]
View Quote

In an attempt to moderate "buffer sproin-g-g-g" I overlubed the buffer and spring once.  I had the best lubricated armpit south of the Mason-Dixon line!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys that own M-16s. How often do you shoot it full auto?  Is it worth $6,000 or $7,000? I live in Utah and can get one if I really wanted, but damn... that is a lot of money, is it really worth it?
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You guys that own M-16s. How often do you shoot it full auto?  Is it worth $6,000 or $7,000? I live in Utah and can get one if I really wanted, but damn... that is a lot of money, is it really worth it?
View Quote

The one I have pictured above is my M16A2.  I paid $8500 for it new.  I see them selling for $9k now on the net used.

Is it worth it?  I think so.  If I didn't think so, I wouldn't still have it.  :)  If you're asking from a practical standpoint, no... I don't believe it's worth it.  A semi-auto AR-15 is just as capable as a military rifle as the fullauto M16.

If you have the money, I say get one though.  They are FUN!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You guys that own M-16s. How often do you shoot it full auto?  Is it worth $6,000 or $7,000?
View Quote

When I first bought mine I shot quite a bit....  With a dedicated 22 LR upper it is affordable and fun as hell!  You can actually buy a RR for less then the prices you list as I have a Registered Bushmaster Conversion that I paid $5500 for and some RRs can be purchased for less than $5000.  Best of all, the value of machine guns keeps going up so as an investment they are great as well!

I am glad I bought mine and if you can afford it and it is legal I would recomend it greatly!  The only thing that sucks is the almost 5-month waite it took to get all the paperwork together, submitted, approved, and finally to get the stamp that allows you to have the gun!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#13]
How about nside an AR-15?
[img]http://perfectunion.com/images/m4xmeddist.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
That picture of the lower in near the top got me thinking. Is there such a thing as a post-ban lower without the "A2" features built into it? I am trying for a post-ban M16A1 copy and something like that would help! A2 has safe and fire engraved on the right side, a little differently shaped near the stock.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

My registered lower was $4,200.  EA arms lower which was never shot before.  Bought it 5/2000 and didn't have it myself until around 10/2000.  Yes it is worth the $.  

Unfortunately I live in Northern VA and there  are no local places to shoot FA.  I have to go 2-3+ hours west or south to shoot full auto.  Therefore, only about 5-6 times a year.  

It sure is great dumping a 30 round mag in under 3 seconds.  The only better fealing I can think of is a FA belt fed.  Which is in my future.

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
yes they are worth it. lots of fun. kind of nice to have something that few others in the gun crowd own. i usually shoot mine nowadays with the .22 upper. plenty fun, and you can afford to use it more often.
willy
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I say go right to the belt feed,M-16/AR-15s are aim and stoot weapons for identified targets but a belt feed .........[:D] now that a weapon[):)]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Put 10 guys with semi auto's and unlimited ammo against 10 guys with full auto's and unlimited ammo with EVERYTHING ELSE EQUAL, I think the guys with FA's would win quickly!
View Quote

This is a HUGE "what if".  

First off, unlimited ammo isn't practical so we might as well throw in some phasers too.  [;)]  Let's say a combat load of 6 - 30 round magazines for a total of 180 rounds of ammo.

What's the range?  What's the terrain?

Let's put combatants 100 yards apart in a lightly wooded area.

This is a practical scenario.

If I were in command of a squad of Marines, my orders to them would be to leave their rifles on semi-auto and pick their targets.  Fire and move, cover each other and advance on the enemy.

If the enemy was firing full auto I suspect they would hit fewer of my guys and would run out of ammo much faster.

I wasn't talking about video games, I was saying that men armed with semi-auto rifles aren't at a substantial disadvantage... perhaps they are at an advantage in many situations.

I'm not saying FA isn't useful, but it has few practical applications compared to semi-auto/aimed fire.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Put 10 guys with semi auto's and unlimited ammo against 10 guys with full auto's and unlimited ammo with EVERYTHING ELSE EQUAL, I think the guys with FA's would win quickly!
View Quote

Oh, and when you're at the range running mag after mag through your M16, how many magazines do you fire back to [red]back[/red] before your gun becomes dangerously hot?

M16's aren't SAW's or crew served weapons and they will cook-off with sustained use on FA.  In your unlimited ammo scenario the weapons wouldn't make it through 10 magazines before stuff started to go dangerously wrong.

Just something to think about.  [:)]

[red][i]*EDIT in red[/i][/red]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top