Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2001 6:28:04 AM EDT
A quick forums question,  when shipping a firearm,  the firearm has to go from me to an FFL on the receiving end.  My question is about shipping to a PD.  The buyer in this case is a LEO in a small town,  the only FFL he's aware of is a local Walmart and I'm guessing they aren't available for FFL services.  So the question is about shipping to the PD. I know PD's are subject to all kinds of exceptions regarding the firearms laws, i.e. hi cap bans, post 86 class III's etc.  

So does anyone know if there is a law relating to shipping firearms to a LEO?

Just checking,  he's still trying to find a local FFL but we wondered if this might be an option.

thanks for any insight you can offer.

crashburnrepeat
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#1]
This is just a guess, so take it with a grain of salt.  You are not making a sale to a PD, you are making it to a private individual.  This being the case, I would venture a guess that you still must ship to an FFL.  Either way, it's a safer bet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
It's my understanding that the gun can be shipped to a law enforcement agency provided a letter signed by the chief/sheriff on department letterhead is supplied to you. Check BATF's site or call a BATF office to be sure. He could also do the same and locate an FFL holder in his area that way (the BATF will give you free of charge a list of a dozen or so FFL holders in your area).
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Ahaa,  I knew the ATF would give you a list of FFL holders but when I checked their site it was only a complete listing and they wanted a bunch of money for it.  I'll have him give them a call and get a list of FFL holders locally.

thx fellas.

matt
crashburnrepeat
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#4]
The BATF advertises a complete database of [b][i]all[/i][/b] FFL holders, but will give you a list of several in your area upon request (not everyone in your/his area, just several).
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a heads up since nobody else said anything but if he is in the same state as you, you should be able to do everything without any ffl or fed involvement unless UT has restrictions on that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Fortunately,  UT doesn't have any prohibitions like that. Unfortunately,  he's WAAAAY across the country in TN.  There are gonna be some very sorry rodents in TN in about two weeks I'm guessing.

Thanks for all the advice everyone,  we finally found an FFL close to him but he's getting gouged on price,  he's charging him 35 bucks for the FFL service and 30 for the NICS check.  Dork.  I wish the feds would relax the FFL fees and regs to what they were a few years ago when there were a lot more FFLs.  It sure makes them easier to find.....

thx everyone ,

crash.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought all FFL holders HAD to do private party transfers as a condition of getting the license and that they can only charge $25 to do the actual transfer.  If you are shipping from another state then they may charge more (they charge about $50 here in the Los Angeles area), but if you are both at the FFL's place of business I believe they cannot charge more than $25.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought all FFL holders HAD to do private party transfers as a condition of getting the license and that they can only charge $25 to do the actual transfer. If you are shipping from another state then they may charge more (they charge about $50 here in the Los Angeles area), but if you are both at the FFL's place of business I believe they cannot charge more than $25.
View Quote

There you go thinking. Not true. This was a hot topic awhile back. There is no law or condition requiring an FFL holder to do any of those things. Sorry, that's life and it ain't fair.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Sheldon,   That is only in California for private party transfers conducted at the dealer's place of business.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
If it is for the PD and not an individual, it should not be a problem to have it shipped. If it is an individual officer purchase, then an FFL is needed.

If it is a PD purchase, you are best off going for a State contract purchase (if your state has it) or going through one of the numerous LE distributors. They will usually get it cheaper, and can drop-ship directly to the PD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top