Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2001 5:54:17 PM EDT
Just curious about dry lubrication for guns. I am a little wary about trying it out. I see that they advertise that the U.S. Navy SEALs use their products, but so do those idiots with the workout program tapes in any given gun rag.

I was thinking about treating my carry gun (H&K USP 45 Compact) because lint and oil are a bad combination. I clean her every week and thought that a dry lube system would be a great solution if it lives up to, or exceeds wet lube.

If you have any experience with this dry lube or any other dry lube product (Good, Bad, or Otherwise) please, let it be known here.

Thanks,
Tony
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
I just ordered their armorer kit from Botach. Will be hear before Christmas (can you say customer service!) I will try it and let you guys know when I get it.

I am sure that someone out there has had some experience with it. Let's hear it!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]
All reading and no posting makes for a dull forum!
BTT
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#3]
What the heck is it made of?  

I tried some "dry lube" in a spray can for and automotive application (no, not the oil pan) and wasn't pleased by it at all .  Something by Chevron.

Have you ever seen any VN-era "solid film lubricant" as mentioned in the tech manual?

I'd be interested in trying some of that but don't know where to get it, maybe it's not made anymore.  Sounded like it had Moly in a resin base or something.

Geez, you mean buying all those "ultimate fighting system" videotapes DIDN'T make me invincible?  But the Seals all use them!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Got this off of their website
www.sentrysolutions.com

Sentry Solutions Ltd.

General facts about our product line:

To ensure product performance, apply to clean, residue free surfaces. If there is any doubt that the cleaner you are using does not leave surfaces residue free, simply rinse the cleaned surface with rubbing alcohol.

None of Sentry's products are permanent coatings. Each product bonds to the metal surfaces to which it is applied. It will eventually wear off and may be removed using products such as gun solvents or industrial cleaners.

Sentry's product line is based on dry film technology except for HIGH-SLIP GREASE™ which utilizes solid lubricants but remains wet.

All the products last a very long time. You'll get the best performance if you apply a single, thin coating.

SMOOTH-KOTE ™ needs to be stirred and then shaken very well before use.

Questions about TUF-CLOTH ™:

· How often do I need to use TUF-CLOTH™?

When you first start using the product, use it every time you use or handle your equipment. This will ensure that you are getting complete coverage and that TUF-CLOTH's ingredients are able to get into the pores of the metal. Once your equipment has been thoroughly wiped with TUF-CLOTH™ the protection can last several weeks or longer. If your firearm or equipment is exposed to wear or extreme conditions you should use TUF-CLOTH™ more frequently.

· Will TUF-CLOTH™ remove rust on my equipment?

No, TUF-CLOTH™ is not a rust remover. You can use TUF-GLIDE™ on some synthetic steel wool to remove surface rust. If the metal has severe rust you will need to use a rust remover (we find that naval jelly works well). Please keep in mind that rust removers may also remove finishes from metal. Once you have removed the rust, use TUF-CLOTH™ to keep the rust from forming again.

· What if my TUF-CLOTH™ dries out?

No problem, you can use pure, odorless, mineral spirits (available at most hardware stores) to restore the cloth or use TUF-GLIDE™. Simply open the ziplock on the bag and pour about a teaspoon of mineral spirits onto the cloth and re-seal the bag.  TUF-CLOTH™ is user adjustable; the wetter the cloth, the thicker the coating. You can allow the cloth to dry in order to apply a thinner coat. A dry TUF-CLOTH™ can be used as a polishing cloth. If you prefer using a wetter TUF-CLOTH™, after the surface is dry you can buff off the excess with a clean dry cloth.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
more........

· Do I need MARINE TUF-CLOTH™ ?

You should use it if your equipment is going to be exposed to salt-water or put into storage. This product was designed specifically for use by Navy SEALs and it provides a thicker film of protection for extreme conditions.  

· Can I use my TUF-CLOTH™ treated knife to cut food?

None of Sentry Solutions products are FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved. TUF-CLOTH's protection bonds to metal surfaces. This bonding reduces the possibility of transferring material to food items that might be cut. If you plan to cut food with a TUF-CLOTH™ treated blade, we suggest that you wash the blade first.

Questions about SMOOTH-KOTE™

I cleaned my firearm and then applied SMOOTH-KOTE™ to the interior and the bore. After firing the firearm what do I do?

Simply use a dry nylon bristle brush such as an M-16 brush or even a toothbrush to brush off the dirty surfaces (extractor, breech face, feed ramp, slide rails etc.). To clean the bore, use a dry nylon bristle bore brush followed by a clean dry patch or two. Once you have cleaned the firearm you can now use the precision applicator to touch up the wearing surfaces with SMOOTH-KOTE™. Don't forget, because SMOOTH-KOTE™ bonds to metal, a little bit goes a long way.

Note:
If you use a bronze or other metal bristle brush to clean it is important to re-apply a thin coating of SMOOTH-KOTE™. The metal bristles scratch the SMOOTH-KOTE'd surface and these scratches need to be smoothed out.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried it on my Beretta 92F. I seems to work as advertised. Personally, I like to keep my pistols "wet". The two things I do like that they make are the Hi-Slip Grease, and the Tuff Cloth. I use the grease sometimes on the frame rails of pistols. The Tuff Cloth is great for semi-long term "dry" rust protection. I use it on the exterior of my Sig P220 and my knife collection.

You can also use the Smooth Coat dry lube as a bore treatment. I have yet to use it in this application, so I can't comment on its usefullness there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Like the Tuf-Cloth better than any other wipe down rag. Tuf-cloth smells exactly like BirchwoodCasey Sheath. Wonder if its the same stuff. Anyone know? Get my rifles wet plenty - had good luck with Sheath.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I will give it a try and see how it works. I have used the tuf-cloth and it is really nice.
When I purchased my first Glock, I was looking all over for the ruby-colored gold-speckled grease that it had at the lube points. Does any one know where to get that stuff or who makes it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top