Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2001 5:36:48 PM EDT
The first time I remember seeing a M16 in person was when I was 15 years old (1983).  I was in Kansas City at Worlds of Fun on Armed Forced Day.  Down by a roller coaster the local Guard unit had a display set-up.  On the hood of an old Jeep they had a real M16 and M14 laying there.

I walked up in disbelief when I saw the M16.  I just couldn't resist asking to see it, to handle it.  I had seen them on TV but never in person.

I walked up to the guy and asked of I could see the M16.  He let me hold it.  I was shocked at how light and skinny it was.  I held it and immediately fell in love.  I asked the man if he knew the gun laws and could I legally own one.  He didn't know anything... but he did mention the AR-15.  Two years later (when I was 17) I owned my first AR-15.

How about the rest of you?  Do you remember your first encounter?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Basic 1972...
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
My first encounter was when I started to build one and  bought my first lower back in 1986-87.  Built my first one part by part.  It wasn't until I had already had my built when I got a chance to hold and shoot a Colt.  A couple of years later, my buddy offered to sell it to me for $400!  I should of bought it!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I had fondled an AR15 in a gun store while with my Dad when he was buying his first gun (a Beretta highcap .380 -- beautiful gun, wish we wouldn't have sold it).  This was probably around 1986-87.  I didn't know much about AR15's at the time.  Truth is, that was probably a "preban" Colt that sold for $700, with 30 round USGI's going for $12.

About 6 months later, at a recruitment function for the USAR, I got to handle an M16A1.  After handing the AR15, flipping the selector lever to "auto" was an experience I'll remember forever.  I didn't fire it, but will never forget the significance of that second, backward motion flip of the lever.  I didn't need the college money, and my parents (while proud) were apprehensive, but wanted the adventure.

Within the year I'd have my hands on one that I aptly named after my first girlfriend.  Heck, The drill sergeants said we had to name ours, so....  I slept with it, shit with it, and slept with the carry handled threaded through my belt so my Basic Training comrades wouldn't steal mine on night patrol in the field.  The point was weapons security.  Anyone else remember being a private E-1 put on guard duty over your platoon's M16's and having a Captain come up and try to take one?  Do you remember what you're suppose to do?

I went to basic back in 1988 (long time ago, huh?), but didn't own my first AR15 til 1998.  Guess what?  It was my wedding gift from my wife.  Almost brings tears to my eyes....

EDITED for typos.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Freshman year of college, elective ROTC class (before I applied for and got a scholarship).
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Courtesy of the USMC 1970.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Feb 1964
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#8]
An ar15 was the first rifle i ever shot was about 9 10 years old ever since i shot it i wanted one of my own now i have one the m16 well i had the oppurtunity just 2 weeks ago to shoot it was a hell of alot of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Courtesy of the USMC 1970.

View Quote

Funny, you don't sound like a day over 47.

But you must be...[;D]

Bought my 1st SP1 in 1980.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
JROTC, Sr yr in H.S. We went to Ft. Ord for a week of abreviated boot camp. Got to shoot M16 just about every single day we were there. Also got to shoot an M60, back then I couldn't do it in a standing position just prone. Also rode around the base on a AH1 Cobra. That was cool, I threw up afterwards. Damn pilot took it personal when I told him he was too young to know how to fly. He was a WO1 that looked younger than me. Well he proved me wrong. The most vivid memory was the take off and landing. He took the chopper up about 100ft, then pushed it nose down to the point I was looking straight at the ground and had to till my head up to look forward. Then I said that it couldn't do an maneuver like an aileron roll that a fixed wing can. He then popped the nose up and we did a 4 point roll. Bunch more maneuvers he did. Then in the landing, topped off reason to throw up. He came in hot on the LZ, pulled nose up, chopper went up I believe 500ft, then he cut the rotors lose and we auto rotated down. Talk about your stomach in your throat. I opened the canopy and threw up. Did not even make it completely out of the cockpit. But I'm off topic now, just reminescing. Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
My first experience, other than looking at them on TV or pictures on web sites, with an AR was when I opened the box of parts from Olympic last March.  My first response was "nice!"  My second response was "where do all these parts go!"  Keep in mind, I had never looked at one close-up.  With the excellent lower receiver instructions here, I was able to get it together with only a couple of marks on the receiver.z
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My first experience, other than looking at them on TV or pictures on web sites, with an AR was when I opened the box of parts from Olympic last March.  My first response was "nice!"  My second response was "where do all these parts go!"  Keep in mind, I had never looked at one close-up.  With the excellent lower receiver instructions here, I was able to get it together with only a couple of marks on the receiver.z
View Quote

I had the exact same experience just last week... my first AR.  I've never really shot one, or even handled one until I had my own.  Haven't gotten her to the range yet... hopefully will this Sunday!

[sniper]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]
1982 courtesy of the USMC.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Besides from drooling over them for quite some time at the FFL dealer, I shot an AR-15, my brothers, for the first time about two months ago I guess.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought my AR 2 augusts ago.  I had never seen one in person until I opened the box in the shop.  Now she is my baby.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]
The first time I ever saw an AR-15 in person was in Oshman's Sporting Goods at San Jacinto Mall in Baytown, TX.  I was around 10 years old at the time, and I thought it was a full auto.  I would go and stand at the gun counter and just stare at them for hours.  I wanted one desperately.

After my dad died, my passion for hunting and shooting died, mostly because none of the worthless sons of bitches that were my dad's friends and male relatives would take me.

I bought my first gun, a pistol, for Y2K, and have been pro-2nd Amendment and RKBA ever since.  My friend sold me his Colt SP1 in September of this year because he got his paperwork for his DIAS.  He brought his MG down when he brought my SP1, and we had a blast with it.  It sucks when the first time you fire an AR is full auto, because you're never quite satisfied with semi-auto again. [:D]  Needless to say, I'm now saving my pennies for a DIAS and the fire control parts to legally go full auto.  Unless this new contract job comes through, I'll be saving for a long time. [:(]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#18]
the first time I saw an M16 in person was shortly after August 23, 1992 in Homestead, Florida. Anybody from South Florida will know what I am talking about. For those not from Florida, that was when Hurricane Andrew came through Homestead. I was down there with a church group helping clean up a Perrine Church. Afterwards, I saw a soldier in person with an M16 for the first time. I had sen plenty on TV during the Gulf War about a year earlier, but never in person. Second time was shortly thereafter at Career Day (School) when a few members of the SWAT Team showed up for career day at my school. In 1993, I got to handle an M16 for the first time when the Navy was showing off their guns to students who took a field trip to an Aircraft Carrier that was in port. Unfortunately, those M16s had been unloaded and probably deactivated.

First time I shot one was shortly after I turned 18. I went down to a local gun range and rented an AR-15 in .45ACP. It was really old and I didn't yet know what the Foward Assist did. I had trouble get the bullets to seat and it didn't have a muzzle brake. Which, meant it kicked up (the barrel) when rapid firing.

I got a chance shortly thereafter to shoot a Pre-Ban M4gery with Collapsing Stock. I fell in love immediately. Someday, I'll have my own Pre-Ban M4. When i can save up the money, I would like to get a registered M16 lower and build a true M4 (Full-Automatic, 14.5" Barrel, Collapsing Stock, Removable Carry Handle, etc...)
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Other than seeing them on TV and at airshows my first experience with one was when I went shooting with a friend and his father, and I shot his father's. He knew I was looking for a new coyote rifle, and after I finished shooting he said "AR are fun, but for the price get a Mini 14." Yeah right.

Kyle
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#20]
NJROTC Summer Camp in 1986 was the first time I actually got to fire one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#21]
In Oshmans in 1976.
GG
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#22]
First time was over 20 years ago in college.  My buddy had one and we would go blasting along the railroad track that bisected the Sturgeon River Slough.  He shot a woodchuck in the head and I'll never forget how much smoke rose up from the wound.  Later that day he shot at a quarter inch steel plate and the hole looked more like something done on a drill press rather than with a bullet.  I was impressed!  From then on, I knew I had to have one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:06:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Bought one before I joined in 82. I wanted to understand it before basic and RIP.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:38:42 AM EDT
[#24]
At Red's Guns, Austin, TX, 2000.  Was visiting a friend and we went there to rent a gun and shoot a bit....i rented an AR-15, popped off 100 rounds and fell in love.  Will own one by spring.  Keep up the good work, this is a fantastic site & forum.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#25]
A friend told me to get one.  I had never held one in my life until my Bushy arrived in '97.
Had to get the Gun dealer to show me how to operate and shoot it!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Summer of '66 in the Air Force.  What a change from lugging around Garands.  Qualified expert first try (nothing to brag about in the AF).
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#27]
August 1965.  I qualified with an M14 before I left the States and was issued an M16 in RVN. Never did officially qualify with it..
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow, WGUNN, your a KC native?  You must remember the BulletHole in JOCO?  In 1984, when I was a sophomore at KU (go Jayhawks!!), one of my gun nut buddies took me there to shoot a class 3 m-16.  Loved it, they don't do class 3 anymore, sorry to say.  3 years later, got some trigger time at the Island for bootcamp.  Live in kc now, have a couple of ar's and a 14 (well,M1A or whattever).
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow, WGUNN, your a KC native?  You must remember the BulletHole in JOCO?  In 1984, when I was a sophomore at KU (go Jayhawks!!), one of my gun nut buddies took me there to shoot a class 3 m-16.  Loved it, they don't do class 3 anymore, sorry to say.  3 years later, got some trigger time at the Island for bootcamp.  Live in kc now, have a couple of ar's and a 14 (well,M1A or whattever).
View Quote

I grew up in the Kansas City area.  I lived on the Kansas side though, Lawrence to be exact.  So you went to KU eh?  Isn't Lawrence a great little town?

I remember the Bullet Hole.  When you were in Lawrence there was a gunshop that dealt in machineguns, owned by a guy named Ludwig.  I can't remember the name of the store anymore, but it was on Iowa and 23rd in a little mall... which is long since gone.

I never could understand why he was a C3 dealer given citizens aren't to be trusted with machineguns in Kansas.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Basic, Fort Jackson, summer of 1989.

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#31]
First time was basic training Jan 85 Fort McClellan AL. A M16, no forward assist, three prong flash suppressor. Then in Germany the M16A1 untill we recieved the A2. Shot expert every time! (No comment on my shooting ability but the rifles ability! LOL) Also the M60. At night was fun with starlight scope! Also a fringe benefit of being in aviation was my chance to shoot the 20mm cannon on the AH1 Cobra what a rush!!!! Didn't hit shit!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#32]
1965 when I bought my Colt SP-1 in Florida for $182.00.

I was issued an M2 Carbine upon arrival in Vietnam due to a shortage of M16's. Three months into my tour I was able to swap the M2 for an M16. This was June of 1967 I believe.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top