Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2008 1:35:20 PM EDT
Asking for money, I guess my membership just ran out. The person said, "The Supreme Court is getting ready to hear a court case..." and I cut him off and said, "Yes, the Parker case, I am well aware of it." I told him I had to go because I'm busy and he just wouldn't let me off the line without wanting to send me a packet. I told him not to waste the resources mailing it to me, I'll donate when I am ready.

What REALLY burns me is... Didn't the NRA try to fight this from going to the SC? (Correct me if I am wrong) Now they are using it to get funds?
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I see what you did there..
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I got the same call. I had a real nice talk with the young fellow on the other end of the line. He claimed that he had not heard anything about it, the NRA not supporting it at first, but still said they needed money. I simply told him, "not this time". That was about it for me. I suspect they get alot of members that are unhappy with them over their performance in the early stages of this case.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I got the same call. I had a real nice talk with the young fellow on the other end of the line. He claimed that he had not heard anything about it, the NRA not supporting it at first, but still said they needed money. I simply told him, "not this time". That was about it for me. I suspect they get alot of members that are unhappy with them over their performance in the early stages of this case.

I was very nice, and I didn't say anything about not supporting it in the beginning to him, it's not his decision anyway and I respect what he is doing, but he said he was calling on behalf of Wayne, so I imagine he's the one I'm not happy with.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was very nice, and I didn't say anything about not supporting it in the beginning to him, it's not his decision anyway and I respect what he is doing, but he said he was calling on behalf of Wayne, so I imagine he's the one I'm not happy with.

Oh I made it quite clear that I understood that he was just the guy on the other end of the phone and that it was Mr. Wayne I was not happy with. As I said, we had a nice talk.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 2:16:05 AM EDT
[#5]
So you're saying that since you don't like how they handled one case, you're dropping out until you're ready to join again.
I'm sure you inspired them to fight harder with your dedication to our cause.

Maybe you could call them back and let them know that you'll be there to help once all the battles have been won and there are no more enemies to fight. I wonder why nobody else came up with such a brilliant strategic battle plan.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:28:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Here we go again........
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:31:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Didn't the NRA try to fight this from going to the SC? (Correct me if I am wrong) Now they are using it to get funds?

yes
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Of course they're using it to get funds. That's really the only thing the NRA is any good at, the acquisition of cash.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]
The same thing happens to the libs.  The people that work for the ACLU don't always know what the ACLU does.  They know what it stands for and that is it.  Just like the folks that work for the NRA.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a life member

The other day I received a "new" membership card, sending them a reply was required to "activate" it.

of course, they were soliciting for more money.

they haven't earned what I paid for my original life membership dues yet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Maybe you could call them back and let them know that you'll be there to help once all the battles have been won and there are no more enemies to fight. I wonder why nobody else came up with such a brilliant strategic battle plan.

The major problem is, they seem to be working "with" or enemies, instead of fighting them.

I won't renew my membership (long time member) or give them anymore money (yearly donation) until I start to see some real results from them. The NRA has ton's of cash and if their only worry is collecting more money, we are in very big trouble.

The way the NRA tried to get in the way of the Parker case, the way they worked with McCarthy, the way they helped get the 68, 86 machinegun ban passed and rolled over on the assault weapons ban, has shown me they are more of an anti-gun organization than a 2nd Amendment organization. Or at the very least are a bunch of Fudds that are only interested in fighting for hunting rifles and shotguns.

I use to be really supportive of the NRA, but they have shown me in ACTION, that they are more of a shill organization that a true 2nd Amendment organization. I hope to God I am wrong, but my grandpa use to say, "Words are only words, but action tells the true story". And the NRA has been a lot of talk with no action, except to get in the way of the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 3:51:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm a life member

The other day I received a "new" membership card, sending them a reply was required to "activate" it.

of course, they were soliciting for more money.

they haven't earned what I paid for my original life membership dues yet.

I called to activate my card.

They only asked me to verify my name/address and birthday.

They didn't ask for money, or anything of the sort.

They said the "activation" was required for the insurance coverage.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So you're saying that since you don't like how they handled one case, you're dropping out until you're ready to join again.
I'm sure you inspired them to fight harder with your dedication to our cause.

I think you missed my point, it isn't that I am not donating over this, that's retarded. I was burned by the fact that the powers that be at the NRA first fought this, and since it's going to the SC, they want to use it to get money.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that they are like any other lobby, but I guess I just expected a little more morality.

But I guess doing the right thing doesn't get us anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't like how the NRA has been acting lately but I still send them money because their our only hope.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#15]
They called me too, yesterday, telling me about HR1022.  I told them to mail me something, they were very persistent.  Hopefully they will mail me something.

I have let my membership come and go with them over the years.  They are just a little too pushy.

They do wield power though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Good, it's been almost a day since the last 'OH TEH NOEZ TEH NRA!!!!!' thread.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I put myself on the "no contact" list years ago.  My mailman (or mailwoman) hasn't complained about back pain since.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't like how the NRA has been acting lately but I still send them money because their our only hope.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I understand why they didn't want to go to the SCOTUS: the NRA does not know that it is a fight that they will win, and the consequences of a loss would be huge.  I'm fairly certain that a lot of the anti-2A groups had the same thought: stakes are too high for them, too.

But now that we are in this fight, it needs to be funded.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I understand why they didn't want to go to the SCOTUS: the NRA does not know that it is a fight that they will win, and the consequences of a loss would be huge.  I'm fairly certain that a lot of the anti-2A groups had the same thought: stakes are too high for them, too.

But now that we are in this fight, it needs to be funded.

Explain, please, how sending money to the NRA will have any affect on the SCotUS.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I have Caller ID so I don't get those calls.

Well I get them but we don't answer them.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, what did you expect?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Why do they need money,are they going to bribe the Supreme Court justices ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Not only did the NRA not support the case in the beginning but after the DC appellate court ruled in favor of Parker, the NRA tried to push a bill through Congress making it legal for DC residents to regain their right to keep and bear arms. This would have made Parker moot and the case would have never made it to the SC.

As much as the NRA ticks me off I am still a member and I let them know how I feel about them as much as I can. The problems with the NRA are systemic in nature and will only be changed from the inside. Either that or they will die once the fudds disappear. It's not as if the gov will step in to solve the problems.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I support the NRA because it does support 2nd amendment rights up to a point. Supporting the NRA is one tier of defense against the gun grabbers. Support the state rifle organizations is another tier. Supporting organizations like GOA is another. The NRA is not perfect but it does part of the job of lobbying for our rights. The best thing is working with the NRA leadership and voicing our views concerning our right to bear arms and semi-automatic firearms. A lot of progress has been made, particularly in the area of the right to conceal and carry for self-defense.
There is a lot more to accomplish but attacking the NRA and not supporting it won't get us anywhere and could cause a backslide. As the influence of the NRA grows buy a larger membership, so does our influence grow in the NRA when more of us AR15.com folks participate in the NRA.
Just makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top