Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2001 12:53:54 PM EDT
A friend of mine just called and said that she was just laid off. She's been working with this company for almost six years. They gave her a pretty good severence, six months salary, but that still sucks.
I know of eight people who have been laid off since Sept 11. I wonder if I'm going to be next?

Peace,
John
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Been there, done that.

My last day was Oct. 12.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Things are bad all around but thankfully I still have a job, it's more of a family than a job but we all are watching the bottom line because it's a private venture.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My job is temporary to begin with. SO, I expect to keep it until December when it is supposed to end. I'll have to see what happens after that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the Building components industry and we are hiring.  We are swamped.  People are definately building houses.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I worked for 13 years in textiles.along comes NAFTA ,things got slow ,things got slower then they just closed the doors that was last november.......
got a job last december that made parts for the computer&communication industry worked 70 hrs a week for 6 months thing got slow,so they reduced
workforce i was the 21st person out the door they got 79 more that night......
so i got a job in september in the local plastic plant forman comes by yesterday saying"things are looking slow we may lay a few off" ............. [bounce]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of people I know got laid off.   I'm in a Govt position so there is like 0% chance to get laid off.  A few co-workers last spring/summer quit to go to better jobs and they just recently got laid off / rif'd.  They are hurting now.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it me or is almost everyone getting laid off?
View Quote

YES - everybody is getting laid off...and those that are not laid off soon will be...
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
They laid off 25 engineers and testers at my company last week.  Then I found out today that they are cutting the weekend shift I work on which will be a 20% paycut for me to move back to week days.  I'm getting increasingly worried about the whole thing.  Maybe I should have joined the swat team or something......
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, I've been pretty goddamn lucky. I'm in construction, and I haven't been this busy in long time.

But I also work in a boom town, that's been booming for 12 to 15 years now. It's been in the top five of best cities to live in quite often in the past ten years.

And the town doesn't depend on big industry. We've got three Colleges, four hospitals, and some factories (some food, some heavy industry stuff, and even some tech). So luckily we haven't been hit to hard here.

But that's not to say we won't.

I sincerely hope that the economy turns around in the next six to eight months, and those who have lost their jobs well be able to find work again.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm.  Don't tell my boss, I just got a raise.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep.  Oct 19.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, I'd have to agree... I just got laid off Friday afternoon, got four days notice... my last day is tomorrow.  Luckily I already have several prospects...

TC
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I got laid off today and I have no prospects. Maybe it's time to find a job in the firearms industry.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Been laid off since September 5th, another victim of the telecom industry. Yeah, I got your broadband right here, pal!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Nachoman what you do in the Telecom biz? I'm in telecom also, nice small company in Alaska we are still hiring people, can't find anyone to work in the bush areas....
I considered coming back to the lower 48, glad I didn't now...
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Been laid off since September 5th, another victim of the telecom industry. Yeah, I got your broadband right here, pal!
View Quote

Yeah, the telecom is really getting hit hard. I'm gone with about 25 to 30% of the staff, by the end of December. Great Christmas gift.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I was laid off in May from my Silicon Valley internet job.  Haven't found anything yet, have about given up on internet jobs.  $ other friends I know, including a lawyer working for a utility lobby have been laid off in the past 2 months.  I'm considering getting a temporary job at the local Trader Joes grocery store because my unemployemnt payments end next month. Will be a strain working for $7.50 an hour instead of $19.50.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted: Nachoman what you do in the Telecom biz? I'm in telecom also, nice small company in Alaska we are still hiring people, can't find anyone to work in the bush areas....
View Quote

What do you consider bush?  And is it a livable wage (for AK?)
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I teach special ed and there is no friggen way I'd get laid off.  In fact we are pretty much always hiring new teachers.  Job does suck a lot of the time as I deal with severe disabilities paired with severe behavior problems.  And have you ever changed diapers on a fifteen year old?  But... job security, I work with good people, and I get seven weeks of paid vacation each year plus every available holiday off.  Pay isn't too bad compared to most jobs, but luckily my wife has a "real" job.   Overall the freetime is worth a lot to me.

Sorry to hear about all you that got laid off.  Couple of my friends have too.  Just don't go nuts like Frank T. Spank.  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#21]
To answer the topic-line question:  It's not you.  At least not yet. . . .
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I got a $12,000 raise 9 months before I was layed off in July. Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#23]
[b]Quoted:What do you consider bush? And is it a livable wage (for AK?)[/b]

Opening in Bethel Alaska this is company website, click on employment [url]http://www.unicom-alaska.com[/url]

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I work for Nortel, and folks are dropping like flies around here. We started the year with 98,000 employees and it looks like we'll end it with around 45 or 50,000. Whenever anyone asks how anyone is doing, the answer is always, "I'm still here." Pretty disheartening, as this was a great company to work for before the telecom crash.

[b]AKAR15[/b], what kind of switches does Unicom use?
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#25]
We mostly use redcoms but we have 1 mitel GX5000 and 3 DMS10's, the position we have open in Bethel has one of the DMS10's. I was in Raleigh at the Nortel training site in August for the DMS10 translation class, they had several layoffs while I was there. One of our guys just got back from the same class and had my instructor who was laid off in the middle of the class. That's just bad business, what does that tell all your customers that paid big dollars for training? Like I said I am glad I didn't move back to the lower 48.....

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I got laid off last Sept 7th. Been looking really hard..haven't really turned up anything.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got laid off today and I have no prospects. Maybe it's time to find a job in the firearms industry.
View Quote

My last day was Sep 24.... Even Federal cartridge is cutting back.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I got laid off from Teligent last November but I knew they were on the slide adn already had my net job lined up.  If the boss hadn't calle dme into his office in the morning I was going to go in that afternoon to give him my resignation.  Worked out much better since I got severance money.

This past summer the (sub)contract I was working got canceled because the client backed out.

Working on a contract for the Feds now so there is job security but the commute's too long and the technology isn't as good.  I can't wait for the economy to pick up enough for me to leave this contract and get back out in the 'real world'.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey, I just got word a couple of hours ago that I'm laid off too.  Maybe we should form a club.

Speaking of clubs, I plan to spend the next couple of weeks golfing.  :)

-kill-9
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I haven't laid anyone off yet, but if anyone quits I won't replace them.  I'm telling the rest to bank the OT they are making now cuz they're gonna need it this winter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#31]
My little forestry consulting firm that once had the phones ringing off like crazy is now wondering what we are going to do with out work.......we have 3 timber sales (we hope) and after that.....nothing......we have enough cash on hand to make it through January after that who knows?  There are only three of us and I am second in command for now......I guess if I get laid off I will move back in with my mom and dad and either 1 start my own forestry consuling firm or try for something in law enforcement.  My friend and co-worker is thinking about joining the army.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Yup...I have been laid off and downsized 3 times this year. I am paying off my debts as quickly as I can, just in case it happens again. Either way, I am going back to College next Fall.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#33]
If any body needs a job Polaris industries is hiring They can,t get enough people to work. plus you will get to live in the country. http://www.polarisindustries.com/ check em out. Been there 5.5 years stock is still going up to.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Wellnot really laid off, but tonight when I got to work we had a meeting and hours are being cut, salary people will get a wage decrease of 10%. After doing the math most hourly people are losing 18%. This is supposed to last until at least the middle of January, maybe longer. I guess I'll start looking for a part time job[:(]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:13:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I got laid off about 10 hours ago
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#36]
They handed out lay off notices yesterday.  Roughly 3% of the workforce.  I work for Philips Medical System, Ultrasound Group.  I dodged the bullet this time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got my notice today. I am not bothered though as I wanted it. I know alot of people think I am nuts, but after 11yrs with a company that is sadly going down the tubes fast, I wanted a package as they say while the gettin is good. I had alot of opportunities these past months to double my salary or close to it, but something told me to hold off. Its a good thing. Those that took off and joined this high paying company I was looking into are all out of work and no serverances. My package is 60days pay, then a severance of 16.5 weeks pay. I also get the use of a job placement firm. Here is my opportunity I needed to get through Bootcamp and AIT for the guard with steady income to pay my bills. Only problem I face now is what if after the training I am activated immediatly for NYS. Then I will run out of cashflow to keep the bills paid. So I have some time to make my new path just to have to make sure its a choice I will be happy with. I see this as my chance to go back and do whatever I missed/regretted not doing.

Oh yeah, I was a Network Analayst with MCSE 2k, MCP 4.0, and CCNA certifications.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#38]
To all the folks that are going through the lay offs, I say "Good luck to you." You'll find something better.
I just came out of a meeting with my VP. He warned me that my name is on a list of potential people to be laid off. He's a guy who I play tennis with and we are pretty good friends. So, he felt obligated to tell me in advance if I'm to be laid off. He said he'd get the best severance package possible for me, too. Bummer, I was getting a little too comfortable.

Peace,
John
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top