Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2001 2:09:20 PM EDT
Family wants me to find a good pair of work boots for Christmas. I am a school counselor and wear dress shoes. Last pair of boots were $40 ones that killed my feet. All I want is good leather 6 inch ones for yard,some weekend casual use and wear to gun ranges. Cost not an issue as want ones I can keep for years and have resoled. Local friends that wear boots in their work recommend standard Redwing for $105. Please give me some additional thoughts as tired of tennis shoes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Caterpiller makes a great pair of work boots. If you order them out of a catalog they cost over a $100 dollars. If you can find a factory outlet they'll cost you $60 dollars.

Alex
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I second the reccomendation for Redwings.  When I worked construction they would last 3 or 4 times as long as cheap $40/pair boots and were comfortable as soon as you put them on.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I get Timberlands.

They have the best soles for slip areas.
I work in a soda bottling company in the lab/filler areas.
I'm constantly walking through Syrup and liquid sugar.
Soda litterally covers everything.

They've been real good with the highly caustic cleaners we use also.

Comfortable but not cheap. Usually around $100 but they last me 3/4 of a year.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the Red Wings and stay the hell away from Wolverines if they're for anything besides casual wear. Wolverines will literally fall apart within six months if subjected to heavy work. I've seen this time and again at the utilities where I've worked. If money is truly not an issue, then allow me to recommend West Coast Shoe Company [url]http://www.westcoastshoe.com[/url]. They have a custom fitting option where they'll make a pair of boots to a tracing of your foot. Super good and super expensive.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I also vote for redwings. I work on my feet for a living and have tried every brand in my area, only to come back to redwings. They might cost a little more, but they wear better and longer in my opinion,for what its worth.    fullclip
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a huge Redwings fan.  I never thought I'd pay that much for a boot but got a pair subsidized through my work one time, since then I have bought more on my own.  You can spend alot less or alot more but I think Redwings have alot of value.  

IMHO the double leather redwings are the most water resistant "real" leather boots going.  

I have worn out the soles of Redwings but never the entire boot, and most dealers can get them resoled.

Redwing is a great company with a long rich history including making the first GI boot for the US.  I love supporting companies like that.  Also the dealers tend to know alot about thier product and will fit you properly, something you don't find at a Wal-mart.
[url]www.redwingshoes.com[/url]

Wolverine has some decent models, the durashox are soft and comfortable but tend to run to narrow for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Whites is the most comfortable boot to work day in day out, these boots will probable out live the casual user, they are built to last. I have hike, fought fires,walk through marshes, worked construction and have yet to find a time there were uncomfortable.

[url]http://www.advertisenow.com/whites/wpage.htm[/url]

Clinth
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.chippewaboots.com/[/url]

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Think about the Justin Double Comfort work boots!

[url]http://www.justinoriginalworkboots.com/boots/navdefault.asp?sDiv=11&sGender=6&sType=28&sSubType=49[/url]

Bad thing a friend of mine found out about Timberland: they might not be meant to be worn  beyond the sidewalk anymore! He bought a new pair to replace a 10 yr old set he had. He got his boots wet during a hunt in upstate NY a week ago; the welt came unglued. He swears that he didn't step in any deep puddles. He has since replaced them, on advice from the company(!) with another brand, Rockies, IIRC.

Semper Fi

Dave
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
sears die hards
wolverine durashocks
redwings
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://www.redwingshoe.com/images/redwing_logo.gif[/img]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Redwings. If you use them for the listed activites you will not wear them out.
Them's Foreman boots.

For down and dirty,nasty,ugly work-DieHards.

I worked for an electricl contractor digging,boring,jack hammering, you name it.

I couldnt kill those bastards(soles that is)

They will finally fall apart at the seams, though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought my dad a set of Redwing "Irish Setters" in Kangaroo leather for his birthday.  He loves the boots, but he has worn Redwings all his life being a railroader.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#15]
You wont catch my feet in anything other then Red Wings. I work construction and Im on my feet 8-10 hours a day and the Red Wing Comfort Force is the way to go. I swear sometimes I think their more comfortable then my Reboks. I've tried the Sears DieHards but they killed my feet and I took them back after two weeks. The Wolverines, though very comfortable and needing almost no break in, will fall apart after 6 months if you subject your boots to hell like I do.

BKVic
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I second that, I have had mine for about 3 years not, and I have beat them up pretty bad when I was working on cars and heavy equipment, they still don't leak and there are still treads left on the soles.  I still wear them everywhere because they are the only thing I could wear when standing all day without having me back or knees ache.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought a pair of Duckhead boots from A&N last year for 19.99!

The pair lasted a year. Bought a another pair today for 29.99

Best boots that i ever had.

I wear them everyday on concrete floors. Even the shoestrings held up.

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I have tried many different work boots, but have found none that last as long, or are more comfortable, than redwings. I always get the big ones (either the lineman or logger style, can't remember what they call em') for about $189. I haven't regreted it. I use them for work (hanging drywall), for cutting wood (often in the snow for hours), and general winter wear. They're like the duracell bunny, just keep going, and going, and going...

A friend recommended that I try them, and I haven't been sorry I did.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]
REDWINGS.....they are all I ever buy and if you have to be in boots all day you will appreciate where your money went.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get the Red Wings and stay the hell away from Wolverines...
View Quote

I've absolutely beat the tar out of my Wolverines and they are still in great shape, and extremely comfortable, one of the few types of footwear that don't make my back hurt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#21]
[red][size=6]REDWING![/size=6][/red]

Everything else just sucks!

Sherm

edited cuz i know board code.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Red Wings #1, I get factory seconds from my dealer when he has them. $120 boot for $60 and I can't tell what is wrong with them, but they are not guaranteed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not sure if it comes from the factory or the shop where I buy mine, but I get a 10-20% off coupon from them about every 6 months.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I would get the Danners I spent years on my feet in the military in boots from $75-$100 wish i would have spent the $200.00 then I love my arcadias

john
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I've absolutely beat the tar out of my Wolverines and they are still in great shape, and extremely comfortable, one of the few types of footwear that don't make my back hurt.
View Quote

If mowing the yard is your idea of beating the tar out of work boots, then fine. Wolverine steel toe boots seem just barely ANSI 75 compliant, their soles don't hold up after repeated use on rough surfaces, the ones that have the steel shank offer about as much support and protection as a piece of cardboard, and their construction just won't hold up to repeated chemical contact with things like mineral oil, hydraulic fluid, and acids. With saddle soap and mink oil, I've got some Red Wings that've lasted over ten years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Matterhorn Sport.

Used to be a Redwing guy till I got my first pair of these. I will never have anything else. Get the ones with the "comfortemp" lining. I wear a pair of white crew socks whether it's -20 or +100, doesn't matter. And of course, they're Goretex lined.

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I wear boots everyday of the week. So, the only comfortable boots that I have found for all day wear are Redwings and Danners. They are not cheap, but they are worth it.

Jamie
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#28]
For "real" boots, I second (third, fourth, etc.) the suggestions for both Danner and RedWing. I've had both brands and they're top notch. My present pair of Danner Camp Pendletons are still in great shape, and I've been wearing them for six years or so. I had a pair of RedWings last nearly ten before having to be replaced.

I miss both RedWing and Florsheim's old practices of re-soleing shoes/boots for a reasonable price.

Before someone guesses, I'm only 36, but I still remember a lot of things that aren't around any more (like the cooper cut in the haircut thread...)

Now let me tell you about the time...

Tachyon
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]
If you need an 100th opinion - Redwings -  Just don't buy them from the Rugged Boot Shop (Ohio) -
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Whites is the most comfortable boot to work day in day out, these boots will probable out live the casual user, they are built to last. I have hike, fought fires,walk through marshes, worked construction and have yet to find a time there were uncomfortable.

[url]http://www.advertisenow.com/whites/wpage.htm[/url]

Clinth
View Quote

I worked for White's for 12 years as a boot maker.  They are no longer a fine hand made boot like the once were, there crap. The owners are living off the name, they could car less about quality anymore. They have gone too alot of automation to build the boots. The Forest Service won't even buy them anymore. save your money, it is sad for me to see a fine product go down the drain like this, I use to be proud of what I made.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#31]
For work outside, hunting and hiking and such I am a diehard Rocky fan.

I guess right now I own and use weekly at least two pairs plus have a pair of knee boots from Rocky as well as their awesome Snow Stalkers.

For work work I wear a pair of Carolina Boots w/ steel toe.

They meet all current safety specs and are comfortable as hell.

My pair ran me about $100 locally and saw the same pair on the net for $170.

I got a pair of Danners as well and they are equally as good.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Redwings  have a pair now since 1972, just get them resoled.

Also have a pair of their wingtips since 75, still going strong...
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I wear the Redwings for work.  I get steeltoes with very soft soles.  Put in 12 hour shifts on concrete and work with both water and chemicals.  I replace the boots every year.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#34]
REDWING -- and if you don't have a discount coupon -- tell them you are associated with the biggest employer in the Area,(consulting work, you know)-- hell they want to give you the 15%discount, they don't care!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a pair of Redwing hikers that I bought in 1983, they are comfortable and lasted forever,still wear them in the winter, a dozen pairs of laces and a quart of mink oil.  They last.
I also have a pair of Matterhorn boots for duty, they are heavy but waterproof and insulated.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:26:55 AM EDT
[#36]
1bluedog, what kind of troubles have you have had with the Rugged Boot Shop? Ive used the one in Reynoldsburg since in opened and have never had a problem.

BKVic
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#37]

i have a pair of chippewa loggers. arguably some of the best made boots i've ever seen. made in usa too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Mason
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top