Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2001 10:14:06 AM EDT
My freebee with AOL is coming to an end soon and since I refuse to actually pay for their service I'm in the market for a new ICP. I have 2 options so far. I'm considering Worldnet and am also going to look into a local high speed cable provided connection. No doubt the high speed connection is the way to go but the cost is a concern.

Anybody have any experience's good or bad with Worldnet? Any other service suggestions would also be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Go cable if you can get it. You will NEVER regret it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Check your credit card billing records VERY carefully to make sure that aol has actually stopped billing you after you cancel.
The Anti-Server is infamous for continuing to bill months after you have cancelled.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Check your credit card billing records VERY carefully to make sure that aol has actually stopped billing you after you cancel.
The Anti-Server is infamous for continuing to bill months after you have cancelled.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. Consider me informed!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#4]
A quick little FYI about WorldNet.... the last I heard, they were still preventing their users from accessing the WorldNet SMTP (mail) servers from outside their network. That is, if you wanted to get your e-mail from, say, work or a friend's house, you would not be able to get to it unless you dialed into the WorldNet network.

It's a small detail, but you won't know how important until you try to get your e-mail from someplace other than your house.

I've had good luck with the support from MindSpring/EarthLink. They are a national ISP with DSL POPs all other the country.

Cable modem service is usually pretty good. Ideally get it with digital cable service. The analog stuff can be really crappy. I used to have it, but the cable apes running it into my house couldn't get the loss lower than 10dB into my house from the curb (about 50 feet). The offical max allowed signal loss is 4dB for the cable company I was using. If my dB math is still working, that 6dB difference works out to 1/4 strength over 50 feet. No wonder the cable modem kept dropping service.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going for CFW DSL when I get off my free year of AOL.  AOL just sucks.  I've done searches for firearm related stuff on the main browser window and it's returned "Sites will not be displayed because they have objectionable material not endorsed by AOL."  Funny thing is, one of my daughters was doing a search for information on Thomas Moore (the guy who wrote Utopia), typed "utopia" into the search window and came back with an AOL Keyword that was for AOL's gay and lesbian online community.  Apparently guns are objectionable and not endorsed by AOL, but being a sexual devient is perfectly acceptable.

"Do what you will,
just don't get AOL if you are anything but pinko liberal."
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
rg00red,

I that homosexuals are a protected class.  If AOL banned the use of their facilities to the gay community, then it would be regarded in the same levels as AOL banning African-Americans from the use of their facilities.

What we need to do is lobby to become a protected class just like everyone else in this country.  [;D]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If (like me) you are stuck with dialup you might want to look at NetZero Platinum. I have had them for 7 months and they seem to give you everything the other guys do at half the price. Just dont believe them when they talk about
"unlimited service" cause they have a timer that cuts you off after 2 hours. You just have to dial right back in, but they do it to cut off people (like me) who stay hooked up all the time even if they are not doing anything. Its still less than $10.00 per month though which is good for cheap skates (like me)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top