Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2001 9:28:38 AM EDT
i use barnes cr-10. wet patch 2x then  bronze brush it for 20x, wet patch, then dry patches till patches are clean.

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#1]
WD-40.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I follow the military's recommended cleaning and lubricating procedures and products.

CLP.

BTW - this post belongs under MAINTENANCE AND CLEANING
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#4]
breakfree clp on everthing but boltgun bores
shooters choice and only patches never a brush
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
BoreSnake with Hoppes No.9 about five times then follow it with a dry patch.  If patch comes out dirty I'll repeat the procedure till clean then finish with an oiled patch.

Haven't had any problems or rust yet.  I think that's really all that matters. You say tamayto, I say tomahto, you get the picture.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Brush about 20x with #9 to get the burned powder out, then push a mop soaked in Sweet's 7.62 and let sit for about 15 minutes. Push a dry patch through and repeat with the mop until all of the jacket material is out. Don't use the mop to scrub, use it to wet the bore. The chemicals do all of the work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I use Hoppes No. 9.  But a gunsmith friend of mine told me (and you guys may already be aware of it) NOT to use an aluminum cleaning rod.  He recommends a plastic coated one because he says that if the aluminum comes in contact with the rifling in the chrome barrell, that the aluminum could build up...

Sounds logical to me, so I bought a plastic coated one.

I also use CLP sometimes too... haven't yet decided on what's my favorite.  But the guy at the Hoppes table at the NRA show last year in Charlotte, NC swears that a very sexy lady had come by his counter and told him that she LOVED it when her husband cleans his guns with Hoppes.  Said it drives her wild sexually.  Hell, that sounds good to me... but I don't know where she lives, or what her husband might say if I dropped by.  [sex]

ARnSC
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#8]
the sound of me cleaning my ar:
weeeeet  thoonk
weeet    thooonk
that is the boresnake.

shhpritzzz: break free into the bolt from the outside.

rackety rackety: cycling the bolt several times to distribute the break free.

clink, thud, clickety clickety ding: gun thrown into the safe untill the next outing.

to make you guys feel a bit better, i actually field strip my weapons about once a year and detail clean with a dewey etc. not that they really need it----[:)]
regards, willy the gun cleaner.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I like to use Ajax with a brush attached to a drill with lots of unleaded premium[;D]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Hoppes #9 and a cotton patch
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
But a gunsmith friend of mine told me (and you guys may already be aware of it) NOT to use an aluminum cleaning rod.
View Quote

The main reason not to use a plastic or aluminum rod is that these rods are "soft" and will pick up grit in the rod and cause wear especially muzzle wear when used from the muzzle end.  The best cleaning rod to use is a full length stainless steel rod.

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Hoppes #9 and cotton patchs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
scub a few times with mpro7 let sit 3 min then dry patch and run a clp lubed patch to coat. All clean. I tried it all and that is the easiest by far.
View Quote

YES !  

This stuff is Awesome !

I've taken "thoroughly cleaned barrels" that have been done w/ hoppes and re-cleaned w/MPro7 and the patches initially come out black.

I use it exclusively now for all of my bore cleaning tasks.

Use the "Gel" (same product -- just more viscous) for cleaning your bores.  It clings to the interior surfaces while it is working.

I use the "Spray" for the outside of the barrel (handguns) and for all other cleaning tasks.

The stuff has no smell, is non-toxic and non-irritation to the skin.  It is a clear solution that can be re-used multiple times by simply filtering out any debris with a paper coffee filter. (per their instructions).  I actually have a few friends that "dunk" their weapons into a bucket of MPro7 to clean 'em.

It's a tad bit pricey though..  The most economical way to purchase is by the gallon.

The liquid is around $60-70 per gallon) --
I get aprox. 30-40 handgun cleanings per gallon.

Here's the place to go:

[url]www.mpro7.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like to use Ajax with a brush attached to a drill with lots of unleaded premium[;D]
View Quote

I had a really nasty 03 barrel that that method worked pretty good on. [;D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top