Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2001 7:46:06 AM EDT
What is Tritium for sights?
Is it a mineral that stores the UV energy and then glows in the night or is it like fiber glass that conducts night light (moon, stars).
The one on my S/A TRP/SS does not glow in the night...then again it did not see the day light yet.
EXPLAIN, EXPLAIN, EXPLAIN...
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a slightly radioactive ( I think ) mineral that will radiate or glow after being exposed to a bright light.  Kinda like the glowing dials on a wristwatch.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
It is actually a radioactive byproduct of ???  that glows without any other catalyst ([i]such as a light to "charge" it[/i]) for several years...  generally 7-10.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Tritium is a radioactive substance.  In a site it is encased in a glass chamber in a gaseous form that is lined with phospherous on the inside, much like a picture tube on a television.  Similar to the way a TV works a tritium site utilizes the radioactive element to illuminate the phosphorous coating.

The radioactive particles emitted impact and excite the phosphorous molecules causing them to emit photons of light.

IIRC you get more radiation from a lightbulb or something like that!

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
its an isotope of hydrogen
H3 is the elemental structure
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen.  It has a single proton and two neutrons.  It emits a beta particle (electron) to become a Helium-3 nucleus (two protons, one neutron).

The tube in which the tritium is sealed has a phosphor on the inside end.  The electron (beta particle) bangs into the phosphor, causing the phosphor to glow -- just like your TV set.

As the tritium decays (half life of six  years, IIRC), the sight gets dimmer, since there is less and less tritium (and more and more helium-3) as time goes by.

Hydrogen-1 has a single proton as the nucleus.
Deuterium is hydrogen-2, a proton and neutron as the nucleus.
Tritium is hydrogen-3, a proton and two neutrons as the nucleus.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe the half life is 12yrs not 6
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I believe the half life is 12yrs not 6
View Quote

Yep, 12.  I shoulda looked it up instead of just marking it with an "IIRC".  My bad.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Dacon just a question what shop said something about it storing UV energy? i have heard this bs before and i wonder if its the same source
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top