Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2001 5:51:39 PM EDT
Are 50 Cal Ammo cans from CTD any good? Are all surplus cans alike in quality, some scratches some dings and should they be pressure washed out and repainted?  I want to build a stand for them to locate things in one area, tired of looking for places and ways to keep things inventoried. Thanks for any comments.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Any closer and you would be using your "Bayonet"

CTD ammo cans are in good to very good shape the ones I bought from them last year. Some ding's, rust, etc. but not trash.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Dunno, but just ordered 3 of em, guess we will find out shortly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
have bought about a dozen, all were in good shape, a few looked almost new.  one looked like the truck ran over it, I called and they mailed a replacement.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
the one I got from CTD was a little dirty, but then that it was fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:34:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought 3 from CTD about two months ago.  They have a few small dings but nothing at all major.  They were a little dirty but no rust on any of them.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got in 3 from CTD last week and all were practically new. Just a few small scratches.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#8]
hehe, my FFL just bought a few hundred of them last week, I helped hump em into his barn... I got the pick of the bunch and paid his cost...  Now I just have to figure out where I will store these cans in my apt.

My girlfriend stopped asking long ago... "and you needed this why?"  she learned that I'm just naturally this way.  I think it has something to do with that lead paint...

Oh yeah, I do have a point... if you in SW Ohio and need .50 cans drop me a line I can get em for you cheap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh yeah, I do have a point... if you in SW Ohio and need .50 cans drop me a line I can get em for you cheap.
View Quote

Cincy here... how much?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I would suggest if you want 4 buy 8 then pick the best 4 and return the worse 4. That's what I did. There is usually one really bad one in the lot they send.

John
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one from them. it was painted tan and bright orange and had some writing about explosives on it. Works good and closes tightly though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I get 9mm ammo from Georgia Arms.  Their "Canned Heat" comes in an ammo can and it's always been in good shape.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Out of the nine (9) .50 cal cans I got from Cheaper Than Dirt, only 2 were really dirty. After some scrubbing with simple green there were good to go. 4 of them look brand new, the other 3 looked well used, slight rust and someone wrote something on one. All the rubber seals are perfect.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I was contemplating on getting the .50 ammo cans from CTD, but since a gunshow was coming, I opted to try to gun show.

Guess what? I paid 3.00 per can, that's better than the CTD price and that's not counting the shipping.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
The on that I got was covered with rust on the inside[pissed].  I guess that I just got a bad one.  I don't know????
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Speaking of Ammo Cans...  One of my favorite topics. [:D]

Remember a few months back Garand Shooter or was it Garandman said that the US were going away from ammo cans?  New ammo was in something else.  Something to that effect.  Any more new on this?

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I've purchased sets of 10 from them on three occasions. They must have three pallets labeled "good", "marginal", and "crap" because all three times I ended up with 5 "good", 4 "marginal", and 1 "crap". I use the "crap" can for tools and junk, but the "good" and "marginal" cans still seem to work okay.

The gasket is the most important thing. If the top of the can seals tightly into the gasket, than I don't mind so much about dents and rust as I always clean the cans with soap and water first and then spray on some WD40 and let them sit until needed. Right before I use them I use a cotton rag to remove the excess WD40 and line the inside of the can with wax paper before putting in my ammo boxes. And I always use a new dessicant pack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top