Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2001 5:45:16 AM EDT
I am a flight sim nut and have built my own computers over the years just to fly them.  I just got Flight Simulator 2002.  For any of you into this kind of thing, this has to be one of the most fantastic pieces of software in this genre I have ever messed with.

Runs WAY better than FS 2000

pat the splat
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Pat, Ithinking of getting MS COmbat flight sim 2. I heard it was built on the same engine.
I need a new flight sim bad! I'd also like to find a jet sim for my new computer.
Scratch
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I have Flight Sim 2000 Professional Edition. It has helped me TREMENDOUSLY with my instrument training. I still cant figure out how to load a GPS approach....??? Anyone know?

Does flight sim 2002 have a Piper Warrior or Arrow on it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Scratch,
MCFS 2 is very good and alot of fun.  2002 uses basically the same engine with a few improvements.

Death,
I also have Flight Sim 2000 professional.  2002 blows it away with graphics and it runs better on the computer.  The new graphics engine must be better coded or something.  With my 1.2 ghz system with a Geforce 2 GTS and 256 megs of PC133 sdram, it still ran choppy.  And I never hardly played it for that reason.

2002 with all graphics turned up never goes less than 19 frames per second.  Very smooth.  Virtual cockpit is awesome.

It doesn't have the 2 planes you want but I am sure that given enough time, you will be able to get them off the internet if not already.

Don't know how to do a GPS approach either.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Can FS 2002 be copied?  I guess most of the new games can't, but was just wondering.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't know if it can be copied or not.  I do know that if you do a full install of the game, you don't need the cd rom in the drive to run the game.

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Scratch-

MS CFS2 is a blast! Graphics, sound effects, flying models, everything. It kicks!

Once you get bored with the missions included, you can download new ones from multiple places on the web. Some very clever people have put together some really challenging ones.

Another thing, you can download totally new aircraft too! Keep in mind that the game engine is geared to single seater fighters, but I have downloaded a B-25 bomber and TBD Devastator and TBM Avenger torpedo planes. The torpedo thing is harder than you think to program remembering that MS did not include that functionality into the program. Someone has created a mod that allows you to fly along (preferably below 50ft), drop a torpedo, then watch its wake as it speeds towards your target. Of course, watching it can be fatal if you just launched against a Japanese carrier. (Did I mention the flak? And shells whistling past you as you get targeted?) Watching those torpedoes go boom when you hit is extremely satisfying though.

Only drawback- no online play. But you don't notice that, the game is very functional.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Bill, Everything can be copied. You just need to know what software to use and have the hardware to do it.
I just haven't found anyone with this game.
I haven't found anything to stump me yet!
Scratch
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#8]
WHAT????

WHAT????

2002 is out?????

I can go buy it right now????

ALRIGHT!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:54:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Anybody interested in purchasing B-17 Flight Sim.  It's been loaded twice but never played.  My computer is too slow with it.  Got everything that goes with it - box, diagrams, book, etc.

email me if interested.

$40 bucks
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only drawback- no online play. But you don't notice that, the game is very functional.
View Quote

Have you been to the gaming zone recently?  I see CFS 2 and 1 up there all the time.  You can play online, it just sucks if you don't have a really fast connection (which of course I do not).

"Do what you will,
but all your cool sims are belong to me."
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#11]
rg00red,

Yeah I just found out about that yesterday, AFTER I posted. I wonder how long that has been available?

My problem is I am cheap, and I refuse to pay $10 a month for something like that. I am lucky if I spend 2 hours playing CFS2 per month. In our home we pay for dsl ($40 a month) and have 2 computers hooked into it, which works out cheaper than having a second phone line and 2 dialup accounts. No cable or satellite either. I will have plenty of time for those luxuries after I retire, hopefully within 10 years while I am still under 50.

I like Infiltration online, it's free. In fact, the program is free too, you only have to buy Unreal Tournament for the game engine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
rg00red,

Yeah I just found out about that yesterday, AFTER I posted. I wonder how long that has been available?

My problem is I am cheap, and I refuse to pay $10 a month for something like that. I am lucky if I spend 2 hours playing CFS2 per month. In our home we pay for dsl ($40 a month) and have 2 computers hooked into it, which works out cheaper than having a second phone line and 2 dialup accounts. No cable or satellite either. I will have plenty of time for those luxuries after I retire, hopefully within 10 years while I am still under 50.

I like Infiltration online, it's free. In fact, the program is free too, you only have to buy Unreal Tournament for the game engine.
View Quote

MSN Gaming Zone never charged me anything to play online.  Both CFS 1 and 2 have been on the zone for over a year.  

It's fun online if you have a fast connection.  People have formed squadrons which are a lot of fun if you can get into one that isn't populated by kids.

"Do what you will,
just don't play anything online with less than DSL."
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, what do you guys think of FLY! and FLY2K!???  

I worked with the company that published both titles, they're as close you can get to procedural flight sims.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's the official website:  [url]http://www.microsoft.com/games/fs2002/[/url]

-kill-9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top