Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2001 7:50:11 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a Garmin eTrex Vista. I'm looking for any input about this GPS, good, bad or otherwise. I travel quite a bit with my job and I think that the mapping capabilities will make getting around a lot easier. Will also be using it for hunting and fishing.

TIA
Jamie
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a Garmin GPS-III-Plus.

It's pretty nifty..  Connect it up to your computer and download maps, etc..
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#2]
RBAD, does the III Plus have the MGRS grid system?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an Etrex I bought a couple of weeks ago.  Yesterday I marked my truck as a waypoint, wandered around and came back.  It told me my truck was 423 feet away from where it really was.

I have no idea why something allegedly accurate to 19, 30 or 15 feet would have such an error.

I also actually had to read the book to figure out how to make it work, it's more complicated than you might think.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have an Etrex I bought a couple of weeks ago.  Yesterday I marked my truck as a waypoint, wandered around and came back.  It told me my truck was 423 feet away from where it really was.

I have no idea why something allegedly accurate to 19, 30 or 15 feet would have such an error.

I also actually had to read the book to figure out how to make it work, it's more complicated than you might think.
View Quote

The GPS system was put up and is used by the Military, WE ARE AT WAR!
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#6]
So the military is tweaking with these things because of Osama?  I thought already the GPS had the capability to be more accurate than they are, but there is deliberate inaccuracy introduced to help prevent using a GPS for targeting.  Has the tweaking increased recently?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a garmin E Map. Topo, and aviation data CDs I can download into it. Love it. Don't leave home without it.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]

Edited cause I cant spel
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ll second the Garmin E-Map. I really like the ability to download info into it off a computer.

However, it is neither waterproof nor armored - there may be other GPS’s out there that are better for outdoor activities.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the e-Trex Legend and LOVE it.  The built in maps and the optional MapSource CD's make all the difference in the world.  Go for it!
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a garmin E Map. Topo, and aviation data CDs I can download into it. Love it. Don't leave home without it.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]

Edited cause I cant spel
View Quote

Which version of the aviation software do you have?

AACOMDCOP
(Six hour from my PPH)
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the little camo e-trex and like it.  It is all you need for basic navigation.  I can download waypoints and routes from my PC topographical program, and export the same to the PC after my trip.  The unit is pretty rugged, simple to use, and waterproof.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is called Selective Availability. There are 2 different signals, one for the military and one for civilians.
View Quote

SA no longer exists. It was dropped about 10 or 12 months ago. We all have the same accuracy now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a GARMIN GPS 12 I just turn it on it,s 400 ft.-North and + - 100 ft West of my waypoint of home before sept 11 the gov must be doing something.it's never been this far off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad has an eTrex Vista, it's excellent. Can't think of anything I don't like about it. Definately recommended.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a GPS III+ and have been using it for 2.5 years.  It goes with me on every back-country and long distance road excursion.  It does have MGRS, not that I use it.  

When I first got it, I did have to go buy a book to understand some of the more advanced concepts with GPS's, like the UTM grid.  I use the UTM grid exclusively for my coordinate system.

The Garmin units are very powerful.  They make great operating system software and are always improving it for each unit.  

If you get a Garmin, get one with the base map built in and some memory to upload additional road details.  

I recommend that you use the GPS in conjunction with some sort of CD software product.  I use the Topo CDs. These have all the USGS maps scanned in for defined areas.  I draw out the path I want to take.  Have it make a GPS route from what I have drawn and then upload it into the GPS.  I then print out on a color printer the map(s) with a 500 meter UTM grid overlay, and then tape together all the pages to make a nice custom Topographic map for my trip.

It is very good!  If you want simple and cheap, get a low end eTrex. If you want something for back country and road use get a better eTrex or GPS III+.  If you want something really really nice for road and back country, get the GPS IV.

Garmin is great.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the input. I've only used Magellans in the past. I still haven't decided, but I think I'm going to go with either the Vista or the Legend.

Jamie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top