Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2007 8:42:27 PM EDT
A friend is trying to get me to join the dark side and play 40k with him. Which is fine by me, since nobody within a thousand miles of me plays Battletech, but it's frigging expensive. I've done a little research on 40k and while the Tau seem to fit my tactics more, the Imperium of Man just appeals to me. I mean, after watching Starship Troopers (shitty plot, no relation to the book, but it's good for some bug-killin' pr0n and boobies) and Aliens and always playing as the Terrans in Starcraft (in fact, I'm the ONLY Terran player at my university. Dang xeno scum.), I've GOT to join humanity in exterminating every frigging alien in the universe.

The Space Marines are cool and all, but the Imperial Guard gets fricking artillery. Yeah, baby. If everything around you is exploding, that's probably us.

So, get me convinced. Hook me up with some images of the Imperium, especially the Imperial Guard (and even more especially the Steel Legion guys, they look the coolest) and convince me to waste money I don't have on this game.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Save the money and buy guns. The models were fun to paint, but the games always took way too long.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Save the money and buy guns. The models were fun to paint, but the games always took way too long.

Nobody will buy me guns for my birthday or Christmas, but they'll buy me miniatures. Besides, when I get tired of 40k, I can sell my painted miniatures for enough to buy a nice gun.

Meanwhile, I'll be spending all MY money on guns. The only reason I'm even really interested in playing is because my friend wants someone to play with and is buying me my first starter set for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
play guard and run a squad of deathwatch marines. Then you're bad ass. I play Dark Angel Space Marines, thinking of going Tau in my quest to update to 4th ed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get a good army for less than 300$, and it holds its value pretty well, since GW keeps hiking the prices. If you don't suck at painting, you can actually sell minis at a profit.

I play Imperial Guard. I wouldn't go any other way. We've got the biggest guns.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Man - u warhammer guys are hard core. Want nothing to do with you. Your little figures are pretty, though.

I did get sucked into Star Wars miniatures. But I dont have to paint them and the game play is pretty fast paced.

Hey look this guy up for stuff if you need something ciphergames.com/

I did his site a long time ago. I know he doesnt have it all updated, but give it a gander. Maybe call or email if you have questions Tell him Robot 44 sent him

good luck.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
play guard and run a squad of deathwatch marines. Then you're bad ass. I play Dark Angel Space Marines, thinking of going Tau in my quest to update to 4th ed.

Bad ass? You think you're badass to be a 7" tall, psychotic genetic mutant encased in two tons of power armor? I laugh in your disproportionately tiny space marine face.

Now, imagine facing down building-sized, slathering, tentacled horrors from the icy depths of space, while you're wearing flak armor that may as well be cardboard and armed only with a flashlight, a prayer to the God Emperor of Mankind on your lips the only thing keeping you from falling head over heels into shrieking, gibbering madness... Imagine taking that on, and winning, that's badass.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The guard kicks ass. Not a whole lot of arguing with masses of guardsmen and a few Leman Russ tanks. A commisar (Gaunt?) and a few Ogryn's for close combat, and you're set.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Warhammer training!!!

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Read the Gaunts Ghost Series... one of the best Sci Fi Series I have every read... Ever... and I have read them all
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Warhammer training!!!

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Deegan and Metzger... the metal militia... Motocross
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Playing with a friend, two squads of assault marines with melta bombs can rip through an armored company so fast it's not even funny. 400 pts of marines taking down over 1000 of tanks. That bad ass.

And isn't a platoon of dudes like 150pts? Thats 10 marines.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Read the Gaunts Ghost Series... one of the best Sci Fi Series I have every read... Ever... and I have read them all

Have you gotten the new one? I think it came out yesterday. Need to go to BN and pick one up. I love those books. Dan Abnett can write.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Imperial Guard are pretty bad ass, bue here is something to consider if you are into painting them: There are a lot. As in, you would be painting 3 guard for every 1 marine. Just a lot more time consuming.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you gotten the new one? I think it came out yesterday. Need to go to BN and pick one up. I love those books. Dan Abnett can write.

No son of a bitch I forgot.... I'll pic it up tomorrow
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#16]

The problem with imperial guard, when I played, was twofold: first, you have to paint ALOT of miniatures. second, at the time, there weren't any plastic IG miniatures, which meant you had to have a crapload of dudes, and they were all pewter, which is ridiculously expensive.

Unless you've got a hard-on for some IG faction (it'd be cool to play with Mordian Iron Guard miniatures and paint them to look like US Marines in dress blues), play a few games with someone else's minis and see if you really like their play style.

Artillery may be cool, but there's NOTHING cooler in 40k than driving into the center of your opponent's army with a crusader, and out pop 7 assault terminators plus a terminator High Marshal, who proceed to open up an EPIC can of whoop-ass on pretty much everything in thier path.

I played Black Templars space marines (up close and personal assaulty army) and Tau (very agile shooty army)
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#17]
anybody know where I can get some Imperial Double Eagle stickers? Those would be awesome on an AR magazine or two...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
anybody know where I can get some Imperial Double Eagle stickers? Those would be awesome on an AR magazine or two...

Get a bare receiver and build a Saiga-12 pistol. Slap the sticker on that sucker and show off your new bolter.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:03:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a bare receiver and build a Saiga-12 pistol. Slap the sticker on that sucker and show off your new bolter.

That'd be a pretty sweet project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top