Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2001 6:54:28 PM EDT
adopted a stray kitten tonight and this sucker has 2 thumbs on each front paw wtf??

Looks like boxing gloves.

Anyone know if this thing might be a mutant?
[%|]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
"As long as you have this cat, you will NEVER DROWN!"

This is a genetic trait treasured by superstitious sailors of old!

Got one!  A great cat!

Get those front claws removed if kept as an indoor cat!

A pirate "ARGHHHHHH" to ya'! DaMan  
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Not too uncommon.  It's called polydactylic.  Multi-toed.  I had a cat like that, named Twanger.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 2:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
We had beautiful tiger-stripe we called 'Footes'.  With his feet so large, he was the last of the litter to learn to walk.  Lived to the ripe old age of 16.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Our office cat has extra toes on both front and rear feet. He thinks he runs the place. He may.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]
We have a cat with 7 claws on one foot and 8 on the other.  He had an extra paw, complete with claws in the middle of his hind leg that we had removed as the claws were curling around and growing into his leg.  He's 14 years old and doing great.

marsh
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, it IS a mutation.  While I am not well versed in the minutae of genetics, it is a gene (combo) that isn't normally expressed, or a gene that is normally expressed, didn't in this cat's case.
There are all kinds of mutations.  I haven't seen very many animals with genetic oddities, but people born without a body part (I knew a woman who had been born with half a face) or with extra body parts are certainly examples of extremely rare gene combinations, or unexpressed genes.  Most mutations are invisible, and I am pretty certain everybody has some kind of mutation or another.
View Quote

right, it's a mutation only in the sense that it's a different genetic code for that trait than the dominant one.  mutation in genetics does not necessarily mean a bad thing, it just means a change.  like if the code was for G-A-T-C and the change made it C-A-T-C.  and, DoubleFeed is right again, mutations don't necessarily manifest themselves in traits that can be seen and we all have mutations in our genome.  fascinating subject really.  amazing how complicated yet simple the genome really is.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a girlfriend who had one of those six toed cats. It's name was Velcro. Her family was always unhooking it from the carpet or it's scratch post. I made the mistake of picking it up and putting across my shoulder. It took my girlfriend about 10 minutes to get the dang thing to unhook his claws from my shirt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Polydactyl cats are very popular. In some breeds, they actually advertise "guaranteed polydactyl" when you buy a kitten (Pixie Bobs , domestic and bobcat mix).

In most breeds it is not wanted. It shows poor bloodlines in purebreeds. They are cool looking kitties though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top