Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2007 5:44:31 PM EDT
Who says an FAL can't be accurate?

There are other holes in this target but they were .270win, and easily differentiated.

The first group to the left was the first shots fired after removing all the screws from the scope mount loctited the screws, and tightening them back down.

The .270 is one shot center and high

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Can it do that every time?  :)

With surplus ammo, I have some I can shoot about 4" at 100 yds.   My best one has a brand new barrel, Argentinian I think.

I have a G1 kit with a very worn barrel that throws about 8".  It was worse before I recrowned the muzzle with a marble and some grinding compound.   Now that DSA has some repro G1 barrels I need to redo that one, otherwise it's pretty nice.

At some point in time I'm going to see what it'll do with decent ammo.

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll bet that most FALs/parts that are built north of the equator can produce damn good accuracy.  I had a DSA a few years ago that was very accurate.  With Winchester 168gr match it was always under 2 MOA @ 100.  The only reason I got rid of the gun was that oddly, it would not function with any surplus ammo.  Commercial .308 worked great, but it cost $1/round and the 3,000 rounds of milsurp I purchased for $350 were rendered useless.  I still want another one.......
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#3]
This one was a frankengun from Century

I bought two, kept the more accurate one (3" groups) and worked on it alot.

I can do this over and over, but it is not cheap.

I shoot Hornady Ballistic tips @150grains.

I have lapped the bbl with 1000 grit diamond paste (sparingly) recrowned, stoned and polished the trigger group, cut some off the trigger return spring, and tightened up every damn last thing that should never move.

The pistol grip is customized by using butyl rubber fuseable splicing tape.

It has a cheap ass tasco Mil Dot scope that is 2.5-10x

It also wears a Bsquare mount, and lots of krylon.

The scope riser is a piece of rubber hose duct taped and electric taped to the stock until I was satisfied, then camo taped and painted.

This is not a beauty queen, but a damn battle rifle I would not hestitate to use.

I get lots of stares from fudds and gucci commandos

The rifle runs with the gas regulator opened up all the way all the time.

It wears no flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty dang good shooting.

Here's my FAL 50.63 (18") at 100 yards with open sights, using South African FMJ (5 shot group).

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's pretty dang good shooting.

Here's my FAL 50.63 (18") at 100 yards with open sights, using South African FMJ (5 shot group).

members.roadfly.com/Agent7/guns/FNFAL_50.63_100Meters.jpg

All mine shoot about like yours.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had mixed results.

I've had two extremely accurate FALs, one was a a new Argie CL barrel on an Imbel, and it LOVED Aussie F4 ball, 1" groups consistently with a Leupold on a DSA mount.

The other is my DSA SA58 carbine, which seems to shoot better than I do with any ammo, haven't bothered to scope it and really see what it'll do, but it'll put a mag of surplus into a 3" hole at 100yds with irons, which is as good as I can shoot with those coarse combat sights.

I've seen others that shot patterns or vertical strings, I think the nature of the marketplace with all the frankenguns gives the platform a bad rap.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
My Imbel from Brazil is pretty accurate, less than 2" at 100yards using the medium priced ball ammo. I got several 1.5" groups too. The cheap/old stuff opens up a bit. I cheat though and use a 4x scope. The standard FAL sights leave something to be desired.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top