Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/5/2007 4:49:24 AM EDT
Light was red, turned right into and through a gas station parking lot to continue on cross street (so he determined).  Received a ticket for "Avoiding light".  What the heck?  No statute was listed and can not find anything online.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I"ve seen people pulled over for that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't do that in OH.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Common sense would indicate that it is illegal. Why are you so special that you get to go around traffic lights and not wait like the rest of us.

The purpose of traffic lights is to control the flow of traffic. By going around the lights you dick everything up.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#4]
yes, that's illegal in Florida...I think it's avoiding a red light by cutting through corner or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Illegal in most states, IIRC.
The purpose is to keep people from speeding through parking lots/gas stations.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Common sense would indicate that it is illegal. Why are you so special that you get to go around traffic lights and not wait like the rest of us.

The purpose of traffic lights is to control the flow of traffic. By going around the lights you dick everything up.

Did not ask about anyone's feelings.  Wanted to know if it is truly "illegal".
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he said if it ain't, it ought to be illegal.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:04:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:07:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For it to be illegal, there must be a statute addressing it.  Is there a statute addressing this in Duval county, FL?  Or the state?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah... I can see you getting dinged for that.  

"Cutting the corner" through the gas station endangers people walking to-and-from the gas pumps, and increases the non-paying traffic flow through that station owner's lot.  After all, that is private property, and he has to pay to maintain it.

It also increases the chance of an accident, as people aren't expecting some gomer to come zig-zagging through the lot to avoid the traffic light.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't matter.  If a cop wants to pull you over, he'll find a reason.  If you do something on the road and a cop sees it and doesn't like it, he'll stop you.  You have to do something to attract the cop's attention in the first place.  I figure that zipping through a parking lot or a gas station is a good way to get noticed by a cop.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Light was red, turned right into and through a gas station parking lot to continue on cross street (so he determined).  Received a ticket for "Avoiding light".  What the heck?  No statute was listed and can not find anything online.

you pretty much just got a ticket for being an asshole
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#13]
316.074  Obedience to and required traffic control devices.--

(1)  The driver of any vehicle shall obey the instructions of any official traffic control device applicable thereto, placed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, subject to the exceptions granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle in this chapter.

(2)  No person shall drive any vehicle from a roadway to another roadway to avoid obeying the indicated traffic control indicated by such traffic control device.

(3)  No provision of this chapter for which official traffic control devices are required shall be enforced against an alleged violator if at the time and place of the alleged violation an official device is not in proper position and sufficiently legible to be seen by an ordinarily observant person. Whenever a particular section does not state that official traffic control devices are required, such section shall be effective even though no devices are erected or in place.

(4)  Whenever official traffic control devices are placed in position approximately conforming to the requirements of this chapter, such devices shall be presumed to have been so placed by the official act or direction of lawful authority unless the contrary shall be established by competent evidence.

(5)  Any official traffic control device placed pursuant to the provisions of this chapter and purporting to conform to the lawful requirements pertaining to such devices shall be presumed to comply with the requirements of this chapter unless the contrary shall be established by competent evidence.

(6)  A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Most places it is considered a form of trespassing, because you have no lawful intent on the private property you just cut through.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For it to be illegal, there must be a statute addressing it.  Is there a statute addressing this in Duval county, FL?  Or the state?

Are you honestly that thick? I can't stand when people do this and create a huge danger to others. You should not have done it to begin with legal or not. Like said above it's common sense, but common sense doesnt seem to common anymore.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:19:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We live in a highly regulated society. If you think that your local legislature has missed passing a law prohibiting this type of irresponsible behavior, you need to pull your head out of your ass.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#18]
The cops here in Jacksonville don't like that. As you just learned they will ticket you for it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We live in a highly regulated society. If you think that your local legislature has missed passing a law prohibiting this type of irresponsible behavior, you need to pull your head out of your ass.

Well, there was always hope.    I found it though.  

316.074  Obedience to and required traffic control devices.--

(2)  No person shall drive any vehicle from a roadway to another roadway to avoid obeying the indicated traffic control indicated by such traffic control device.

I think that it is subjective, but o'well.  EDIT:  RACER934 was quick with the answer.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you honestly that thick? I can't stand when people do this and create a huge danger to others. You should not have done it to begin with legal or not. Like said above it's common sense, but common sense doesnt seem to common anymore.

Thanks dad.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks dad.

p.s. if you do this again, practice a stop and go while passing through the gas station. Then you won't be ticketed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Now fill us in on how much the ticket is going to cost.

I've got a buddy who does that all the time. He'll get in the turn lane, cross over the median and then jump back onto the road he was on in order to avoid a light. We're in Alabama though, but I'm still curious how much it will cost.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Should have got out bought a chocalate bar then gone on, cant do that in Florida.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
yep that is illegal here as well.

creates traffic hazards on private property when people do that.

illegal in NJ, 'avoiding a traffic control device'
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I've got a buddy who does that all the time. He'll get in the turn lane, cross over the median and then jump back onto the road he was on in order to avoid a light. We're in Alabama though, but I'm still curious how much it will cost.

The ticket is 121.  The online school is 19.95.  If you do the school, then you get an 18% discount on ticket.  Grand total, 119 and change.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ticket is 121.  The online school is 19.95.  If you do the school, then you get an 18% discount on ticket.  Grand total, 119 and change.
lawyer up if its your first offense, no pernts, no school for the price of $99
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks dad.

No Son... what about you??
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Who's to say that you went in to get gas, and upon seeing the price at that particular station, decided it was too much ad pulled back out?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Illegal here " Avoiding a Traffic Control Device"
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Who's to say that you went in to get gas, and upon seeing the price at that particular station, decided it was too much ad pulled back out?

Exactly, that is why I said to him that it was subjective.  It is a thought crime.  Nothing measurable. like a radar gun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly, that is why I said to him that it was subjective.  It is a thought crime.  Nothing measurable. like a radar gun.

It's too bad you still don't get it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's too bad you still don't get it.

O' give me a break!  I "get it".  I am just sayin.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Jax cops will pull you over for anything.

Just so happens you actually broke the law.  Count it as a blessing he didn't search your vehicle, taze you, hobble strap you, and have his way.

And this just in: your 20 seconds at the light aren't that important.  Let go of the stress, man.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Just so happens you actually broke the law.  Count it as a blessing he didn't search your vehicle, taze you, hobble strap you, and have his way.

And this just in: your 20 seconds at the light aren't that important.  Let go of the stress, man.

I just asked the question here because I was looking for some love.  Guess I was lookin in all of the wrong places.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:20:27 AM EDT
[#35]
What if you want to turn left, but the left turn arrow is red... so you go straight (green light), go down 100yds and do a u-turn, come back from the opposite direction and make a right(green light or yield)?

You're following all the traffic signals, not taking any shortcuts... but you're obviously avoiding that red arrow.  I do this on the way home from work sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I got pulled over for this once. I wanted to make a right hand turn but the guy in front of me wanted to go straight and I was on a minor road turning onto a major one, so the red light for the minor road at that intersection is reeeeeeeeeeeeally long. If the guy hadn't been in front of me I could have just turned right since traffic was light. Instead I pulled into the gas station and went through to make a right turn. The officer was nice enough to let me off with a warning. He also asked me to inform officers when I'm carrying even though it's not required.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
yep that is illegal here as well.

creates traffic hazards on private property when people do that.
  TBS, What is the 32 code for that? Still learning the 32 laws.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just asked the question here because I was looking for some love.  Guess I was lookin in all of the wrong places.  

Yup, you're totally looking in all the wrong places. You have to walk along Phillips hwy at night if your looking for love.... or go to those gay bathhouses in riverside.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

And all of the bone heads in the intersection, who have no place to be, (if that is what happenend), can feel a measure of revenge because the big black truck got pulled over.  

Side note, Jax is requesting funds for 200+ more cops?  If they have the man power to sit at gas stations looking for me, then they have PLENTY of cops.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, you're totally looking in all the wrong places. You have to walk along Phillips hwy at night if your looking for love.... or go to those gay bathhouses in riverside.

LOL
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:26:54 AM EDT
[#41]
One of my pet peeves.  I don't give warnings on that one.

What's bad is that one moron will do it and get followed by 6 OTHER morons. It almost always leads to an accident in the now choked-up parking lot.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

What's bad is that one moron will do it and get followed by 6 OTHER morons. It almost always leads to an accident in the now choked-up parking lot.

Well then you can add to your retirement fund x7.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

And all of the bone heads in the intersection, who have no place to be, (if that is what happenend), can feel a measure of revenge because the big black truck got pulled over.  

Side note, Jax is requesting funds for 200+ more cops?  If they have the man power to sit at gas stations looking for me, then they have PLENTY of cops.
So everyone on the road has no place to be?  Self-importance at its best.

When I'm at the gas station and see people whipping thru the lanes/parking lot to avoid the light, I hope they get pulled over, or at least delayed by the oncoming left-hand turn traffic.  That's private property that has people walking around, including kids.  If you are in that big of a hurry, leave for your destination earlier.

Guess I just have "pedestrian rage", or it's that old Spaghetti Western mentality of my White truck vs. your Black truck.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's really fun is impounding the asshole's car and making them walk.  Onlookers will cheer when you do.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#46]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
One of my pet peeves.  I don't give warnings on that one. hat

yeah, 'cause cops get paid per ticket.  Those Waldo cops must be rich!

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/03/13/Columns/No_pity_for_speeders_.shtml
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's really fun is impounding the asshole's car and making them walk.  Onlookers will cheer when you do.

Wow, the language that has shown up in my thread.  You guys are taking this too personaly.  Jesse Blackx was caught!  Rejoice, your wimmenz and childern are safe now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been kind of bothered by the call to increase the police force. Like you, I think we probably have enough police in Jacksonville. From what I've seen, the police we have here in town are not utilized correctly most of the time. They tend to only hang out or patrol certain parts of town at certain times. Sometimes, it's just to give out tickets. Other times it's like they are trying to avoid stopping the drug dealers or the different criminal rings that work around town.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, 'cause cops get paid per ticket.  Those Waldo cops must be rich!

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/03/13/Columns/No_pity_for_speeders_.shtml

"I do not like to write tickets."  Bologne (sp?)!  The cops in Waldo drive pretty new cruisers.  I am sure that the tax base in that town is not very large.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, the language that has shown up in my thread.  You guys are taking this too personaly.  Jesse Blackx was caught!  Rejoice, your wimmenz and childern are safe now.

Yep, there are three kinds of drivers that the general public wants to see hung from a lamppost.  (figuratively speaking)  

Apparently you fit one of the three categories.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top