Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2007 5:50:03 PM EDT
Man do I feel like and ass, and the whole damn company is mad at me now. 3 months of probation and everyone watching over my shoulder from now on.

I work in IT, maintaining some servers with important financial shit on them. So today I spend most of my day arguing with a chick (via email) that after a couple months of dating hasnt put out yet. Long story short, says she just wants to be friends, I say forget that, see-ya. Seriously girls, guys do not want to be friends, they only want to bang you... if after they bang you and shit goes wrong then there's a slight chance you might be friends afterwards.. but thats the only way "friendship" is going to happen.... Well during this discussion I'm supposed to be upgrading a couple of servers with some new software.... server names is BIGIMPORTANTASSSERVER005, well turns out I accidently upgraded BIGIMPORTANTASSSERVER505. Boy did the shit hit the fan, caused about an hour of downtime and stirred up the hornets nest. Just by misssing one damn number.

I don't blame them, it was my mistake. But god damn, I picked a hell of a week to try to quit smoking and drinking.  The shit is still being processed by the fan so I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
These things happen.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
But god damn, I picked a hell of a week to try to quit smoking and drinking.  

I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing more fun then a fucked up server! Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats my biggest complaint with IT. Either everything is going as it should and no one knows you exist, or you fuck up BIG time and everyone wants your head on a platter.

And there aint no in between. Been there, done that. I isolated roughly 50,000 phone lines once, fortunately it wasnt my fault and a lot of people had my back, but you sure have that "awww shit" feeling when you screw up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh,... keep your personal and professional life separate for the 8 hours you are at work and problems should decrease.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I picked a bad week to stop shooting black tar heroin...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, and I thought my day at work sucked.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Dang, and I thought I messed up knocking up my boss.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Arguing with a soon to be Ex on company time and you royally fuck up because of it.

I would have shit canned you right there.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I hit a water pipe with the mast of the forklift on the ceiling and flooded the warehouse last week. Things could be worse.

I was more mad at myself than the boss was.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Work and arguing with women don't mix.

Focus in the coming weeks and be golden.  Don't make the slightest mistage, have everything done right and on time.  Be The Golden One.... and then they will get off your back.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I hit a water pipe with the mast of the forklift on the ceiling and flooded the warehouse last week. Things could be worse.

thats a HUUUUGE bong!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Man do I feel like and ass, and the whole damn company is mad at me now. 3 months of probation and everyone watching over my shoulder from now on.

I work in IT, maintaining some servers with important financial shit on them. So today I spend most of my day arguing with a chick (via email) that after a couple months of dating hasnt put out yet. Long story short, says she just wants to be friends, I say forget that, see-ya. Seriously girls, guys do not want to be friends, they only want to bang you... if after they bang you and shit goes wrong then there's a slight chance you might be friends afterwards.. but thats the only way "friendship" is going to happen.... Well during this discussion I'm supposed to be upgrading a couple of servers with some new software.... server names is BIGIMPORTANTASSSERVER005, well turns out I accidently upgraded BIGIMPORTANTASSSERVER505. Boy did the shit hit the fan, caused about an hour of downtime and stirred up the hornets nest. Just by misssing one damn number.

I don't blame them, it was my mistake. But god damn, I picked a hell of a week to try to quit smoking and drinking.  The shit is still being processed by the fan so I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.

I just replaced a guy like that.  This sort of fuzzy thinking leads to things like 25 different sendmail configs on 25 different machines.  You should really work on keeping things seperate.  If I had known the state of the UNIX side of the house when I started, I would have fired him.  He left three weeks after I came in when I started talking about security audits.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#14]
What the hell did ya quit drinking for? Cut the stupid sticks out of your life ( they just make you stupid..... oh, and a drug addict...)  but for gods sakes man..... Booze too?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yeah I'm more mad at myself than anyone else I talked to tonight. 10 years in the industry and I've never done anything half as bad as this. I think I was better off smoking, drinking and going out looking for women every other night, this whole, quit smoking, drinking and staying home to be responsible is really taking a toll on my mojo.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Grab a beer or twelve
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well, it does take two..........and , well, your job's secure for at least 9 months.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I picked a bad week to quit smoking meth.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#21]
At least you didn't let the magic smoke escape.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If you didn't actually run or get chased out of the building it's a pretty tame day.

Yeah, but you're a lawyer. Getting chased by angry mobs with torches and pitchforks is an everyday thing for you.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Lemme guess: windows?

I'm pretty sure that seeing

root@BIGIMPORTANTSERVER505> _

for each command would have clued you in.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Two things:  
1) Shit happens.  I am in telecom and the result is similar, only a BUNCH of folks can't make phone calls or their calls drop while in progress.  (Yeah, that was me: Yer welcome!)  Just nut up and accept your fair ration of shit, apologize and SHOW them it won't happen again.  Worst thing you could do would be to make any excuses.

2) Grow up a little and remember that you are being paid real money to do a real job, not dick around with tha womens.  It's harsh but you know it's true or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

goodluck.

dk
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Look at the bright side. They could have tazed you.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Page 2 are mine............

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you didn't actually run or get chased out of the building it's a pretty tame day.

Yeah, but you're a lawyer. Getting chased by angry mobs with torches and pitchforks is an everyday thing for you.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I would rethink the naming of the servers....I had to look twice to see the difference.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Look at the bright side. They could have tazed you.

No kidding.  The original poster better taze himself just to secure the safety of everyone and also give himself a nice kick in the ass!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey, you should get a job where I work.  The two employees who demanded the DBA position be made fulltime and given to both of them have not done any maintence since they took over.  Every 2 weeks the server has been going down causing production applications to fail.  They just clean fix the immediate problems without addressing the real issue and in 2 weeks it happens all over again.  They are constantly being praised for how great they are by their boss.  

Last night part of the server rack lost power taking down several key servers and causing everything else to fail.  No one noticed or was alerted until someone walked into the server room this morning.  We have big time financial info on these servers as well.  It is really screwed up where I work.

Trust me, I would rather work at a company that expects perfection and holds people accountable instead of rewarding people who lie about the problems and get away with it because their boss doesn't know a server from a loaf of bread.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Two things:  
1) Shit happens.  I am in telecom and the result is similar, only a BUNCH of folks can't make phone calls or their calls drop while in progress.  (Yeah, that was me: Yer welcome!)  Just nut up and accept your fair ration of shit, apologize and SHOW them it won't happen again.  Worst thing you could do would be to make any excuses.

2) Grow up a little and remember that you are being paid real money to do a real job, not dick around with tha womens.  It's harsh but you know it's true or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

goodluck.

dk

Telecomm here too.
Bitch of it is, if we fuck up someone can die. Nothing says your having a bad day like isolating 911 services.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Evidently I picked the wrong week to quit huffing paint before auto erotic asphyxiation
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Evidently I picked the wrong week to quit huffing paint before auto erotic asphyxiation

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#33]
You were more concerned with your foundering social life when you were responsible for a mission-critical IT function?  You're lucky you still have a job.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Just talked to my immediate boss, he said it's cool. Shit happens and he can handle the bigger bosses. The probation was what my bosses told the other managers to show them that I was being punished. My name never really came out, they all just knew it was someone on my team, only my bosses and co-workers I was working with know who it actually was. I've been with the company 4 months now and just passed my 3 months initial probation so another 3 months wont be too bad. But after talking to my boss I doubt It'll be anything formal. Everyone is just picking on me but I think the big big boss man is really pissed off.

I'm just mad at myself, just cause I missed 1 damn character. It's all windows, so it's drag and drop and icon with a name attached to it and click "Go". Not much you can do after that.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Well during this discussion I'm supposed to be upgrading a couple of servers with some new software.... server names is BIGIMPORTANTASSSERVER005, well turns out I accidently upgraded BIGIMPORTANTASSSERVER505. Boy did the shit hit the fan, caused about an hour of downtime and stirred up the hornets nest. Just by misssing one damn number.

Ahhhh, you shoulda just swapped the hostnames...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Pics of your ex girlfirend or your banned
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You were more concerned with your foundering social life when you were responsible for a mission-critical IT function?  You're lucky you still have a job.

I agree. Do your emailing and web surfing at lunch time or at home.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Reminds me of a time when I was working on implementing a CRM system for a utility company in the north east.  Buddy and I were working late one night (around 11pm) and he had been tasked with a job of cleaning up some data.  Well, I'm sitting there when all of a sudden I hear "OH FUCK!" .  I ask him what''s wrong.  "I just ran a delete statement against production with the wrong where clause on it".  So I say, no problem, it's not commited yet.  His repsonse?  "Yes it is, I ran a script and the commit was part of it"  End result was the company lost an entire days worth of transactions.

The only good thing that came out of it was that it showed that the last several years of backups were absolutely no good at all.  They went to restore from the backup that ran about 9pm and it wouldn't work.  So, the disaster recovery team got an anal reaming over that and then proceeeded to get another one when they were tasked with going back until they could find one that did work, which they couldn't.

IT work can cause some serious stress when you screw up.  Your screw up will be forgotten just as soon as the next guy downloads a virus that brings down the mail server
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Uh,... keep your personal and professional life separate for the 8 hours you are at work and problems should decrease.

+1

What were you thinking man?  Arguing with a chick over e-mail during work?

You're on probation for a good reason.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Lemme guess: windows?

I'm pretty sure that seeing

root@BIGIMPORTANTSERVER505> _

for each command would have clued you in.

Linux just gives me those warm and fuzzy feelings on the inside
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Thats my biggest complaint with IT. Either everything is going as it should and no one knows you exist, or you fuck up BIG time and everyone wants your head on a platter.

And there aint no in between. Been there, done that. I isolated roughly 50,000 phone lines once, fortunately it wasnt my fault and a lot of people had my back, but you sure have that "awww shit" feeling when you screw up.

I can beat your story, it wansnt me, but the end result was a man died because somebody took out the number 911...

No comment..
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#43]
So when discussing things with this chick using email, were you using company resources in a manner consistent with all applicable policies?

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Two things:  

goodluck.

dk

While not exactly on subject, I have been off for 2 weeks, last week and this week.  During my absence, someone walked into the switch building and took a bunch of cards out of some Cisco servers, both working and protect.  It took down about 300 EVDO sites and the shit has hit the fan.  I have been being kept updated.  The police, the Feds (because some TS stuff goes through the building), and all kinds of alphabet people have been there.

There is a lot of construction going on and a lot of contractors on the premises.  So many people that the security folks cannot keep up with them.  I don't blame them, but I don't know what exactly to expect when I get back.  I understand a bunch of codes have been changed, etc.

So, with all that construction crap going on, someone can just walk into the building and do whatever.  And we are not supposed to be armed.  Yeah, right.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Telecomm here too.
Bitch of it is, if we fuck up someone can die. Nothing says your having a bad day like isolating 911 services.

Ain't that the damn truth.  Telecom here as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I arrived at a big name financial company for a consulting gig. While I was waiting for my ID card, a new guy arrived to get his.

Later in the day there was much excitement when a couple of servers went down together.

Turns out that someone gave the 2 new guys the job of decommissioning a couple of old servers -- rip them out of the racks and ship them out to the reseller that they use for old equipment.

Well, *everyone* knew which these servers were, but when the new guys asked where the servers were located they were given a wrong rack number - so they merrily pulled all the cables out, unracked the servers, packed them up and put them on the back of the truck.

By the time the sysadmins realized that their servers where physically gone , it was too late, the truck had left with them.

Of course, the two new guys who had started that morning were the ones fired rather than the moron that gave them the wrong rack number.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Well.. the MPI of your story is greater.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
So when discussing things with this chick using email, were you using company resources in a manner consistent with all applicable policies?

Of course, I have a work laptop and a personal latop. I use my personal laptop and it was 6PM so I was at home having dinner with my feet propped up on my desk in my home office while telecommuniting and watching the history channel to get this done so I wouldnt have to deal with it in the morning. My servers weren't exactly "mission critical", they were in a datacenter that was brought down just for the purpose of upgrading and patching. Problem is that the server I accidently upgraded belonged to a totally different department and there are supposed to be AD security permissions to keep this from happening, just because this has happened before because like everyone has read, the only difference in production and test is one character. Now those guys are up in arms, and also something else broke that was totally unrelated but I think they're trying to blame me for that too. We'll see how it unfolds in the morning.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#49]

"I just ran a delete statement against production with the wrong where clause on it". So I say, no problem, it's not commited yet. His repsonse? "Yes it is, I ran a script and the commit was part of it"

T-SQL is a weapon of mass destruction. No other language known to man can cause so much destruction in so little time. It happens to all of us - ONCE.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#50]
www.monster.com

Get another job before they fire you.  You're ready for a change anyway.

PS - not to be harsh - but they should have fired you.  (sorry)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top