Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2007 5:04:12 PM EDT
I just got a free copy of Soldier of Fortune magazine with my order from LA Police gear.  I was flipping through it and found some of the articles very interesting.

My question is this, how is SoF?  Is it legit or more or less armchair commando wet dreams?  Some of the articles appeared to be the real deal, but I don't know much about the magazine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I gather there used to be some heavy duty shit that went down through SOF.  I don't know anymore.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a copy of the mag from the late 70's.

There were ads for "foreign work" in Rhodesia and pictures of a guy shot by ZANLA. You could see the inside of his skull.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen the guys that publish it, but I've seen the guys that read it.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Soldier of Fortune used to be a real, honest to God, magazine for mercenaries.

I used to have old issues that had recruiting ads in the back, along with ads for mail forwarding service and ads placed by people who were trying to track down individual mercs for various reasons(one that comes to mind was from a guy's mother, letting him know that his father had died).

There was also a somewhat high profile legal case in which a hitman was hired through an SOF classified ad.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
They used to have good articles and the mag was fairly thick.

I picked up a copy a few months ago and it sucked, hardly any good info, and the thing was thin.  real thin.

-dan
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several years worth of SOF from the 1970s and 1980s.

Some of it seems like the real deal, other bits are a tad .

I do believe I have the issue where SOF releases all the info they could on the Russian 5.45x39 round prior to the CIA even getting their hands on it.

Also, if I recall correctly, there is an Arfcommer who is in one of the pics in SOF from the early 1980s.  He posted it, it isn't like I recognized him or anything.

- BG
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
It wouldn't go through when I submitted it, I swear!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember reading it back in the early '80s when I was in middle school.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
sorry for the mega-tap guys, and I didn't catch it for like half an hour.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy double-tap, Batman.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#12]
massive double-tap

EDIT:  Look at the time stamp... I spent two minutes trying to post that reply.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey BUCC_Guy, do you have several years worth of SOF from the 1970s and 1980s and an itchy trigger finger?  

Thanks for the input guys, I really don't know much about it much less how factual it was.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow a PENTATAP!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Some call it 'Soldier Of Fiction'.

Like others have said, it used to be a somewhat legit mag.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny article:  Fred Reed, "Life at Soldier of Fortune"

fredoneverything.net/FOE_Frame_Magazine.htm
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#17]
WTF Quintuplet Tap??????

your such a post whore
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#18]
When it started Robert K Brown and the staff at SOF were the total coolest group of guys going.  They went all over the world covering wars against communism that most people had never heard of.  They had reporters on the ground in...

Rhodesia
Afghanistan
Burma
Cambodia
Laos
El Salvador
Nicaragua
Angola
Lebanon

That's just what I remember.  Also good coverage on military hardware and reminiscing stories as most of the guys were Vietnam vets.

Brought back outstanding intel etc.  (the 5.45x39 story for one as well as a lot of shit from Afghanistan) I think they might have also had some of the first 3 gun matches but I'm iffy on that.

It doesn't look nearly as good as it used to from what I can tell, haven't seen one in years.

If your interested in SOF in its heyday, read "the Devil's Secret Name" by Jim Morris
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a sub & I enjoy reading them. They blend both new articles in current war-related countries as well as flashbacks to Viet Nam & other 1960s hot spots. One thing folks need to keep in mind is that their writers aren't professional writers, but mostly former vets who turned to writing on the side.

They also have a long, long list of their contributing writers who have been killed while in dangerous countries.

Are they perfect? No, but what mag is? But they don't suck the Republican schlong nor the military establishment schlong & tells it like it should be. That alone makes them worth reading, IMO.

My .o2    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top