Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2007 4:48:03 PM EDT
So lately I've gotten a very heavy intrest into older firearms. Black powder, muzzle loaders, cap and ball, cowboy guns, you name it. I would like to have several lever guns, about 5 or 6 eventualy if I only get one per caliber (how likely is that ).

So my question is pertaining to storing them all during transport and etc. I know Pelican cases are very high quality products. I looked at the weapon cases they had on their site, but they all are laid flat, like most cases do. What I would like is a deep enough case where I can store the rifles verticaly to save space and have several in one case instead of two or so. Is this possible? Can anyone recomend a case that could do this? I know the Pelicans have the pick and pluck foam, which is what I would like because that would be easier to make the spots for the rifles. I looked at the length of one of the lever guns and it was about 44" or so. So the case would have to be a bit longer than that. Would 50" be too much? Also how tall is a standard lever gun (I'm looking at Marlins but similar guns will do fine for this purpose) when you stand it verticaly? (As in the rifle is still parrellel to the floor or what have you). What would be a good depth to fit the guns well?

Also any other recomendations of case brands or models is fine too. It doesn't have to be a Pelican either, that's just what brand I know of that is good to go.

Thanks for any help. I hope all that made sense...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this for airline travel?

If not, build yourself a gun crate.  Make it as plain or as fancy as you like.

(not my pic)

edit because I can't spell "or"
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is this for airline travel?

If not, build yourself a gun crate.  Make it as plain or as fancy as you like.

No, this would just be for transportaion to the range and etc and for keeping them in there locked up. Tough I will most likely have a safe and be in my own place by the time I get all of the rifles . Still living at home with not a whole lot of space (nor guns) for a safe.

I like that crate idea, but it wouldn't work too well for what I want. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using these for years.

www.doskosport.com/Departments/Gun-Guard/DLX.aspx

I dont think I would fly with them, but for range use or storage they are perfect and they don't break the bank either. I can store 2 scoped bolt actions and maybe a pistol or 2 in one case depending on what rifles I'm actually carrying. I keep 3 or 4 desiccant packs under the foam, never had a problem with rust and my hunting guns spend most of the year in the cases.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been using these for years.

www.doskosport.com/Departments/Gun-Guard/DLX.aspx

I dont think I would fly with them, but for range use or storage they are perfect and they don't break the bank either. I can store 2 scoped bolt actions and maybe a pistol or 2 in one case depending on what rifles I'm actually carrying. I keep 3 or 4 desiccant packs under the foam, never had a problem with rust and my hunting guns spend most of the year in the cases.

Looks good, but different from my idea. I would like to be able to have the guns stand up if that makes sense. Instead of laying flat like in that link. My thinking is that if you put them in that way, they would be slimer so you would be able to fit more in. The case would be big and deep (and heavy) but would have everything all in one.

Like if you have the case on the floor and look at it from the top it would look something like this:

-------
-------
-------
-------
-------

but closer and slimer ha. I think you'd be able to fit maybe two possssibly three guns in the space one would take up. More than likely only two, but still.

Might just be a silly idea, I don't know, but I sure like it .

Quoted:
Cabelas has two and three gun safari cases  Expensive ($400 each) Two and three gun versions.

Whoa... that's a little much ha . But that is how I want them to be stored, just like that. Hopefully lever guns take up less space... haha. There is six tottal lever guns (if you don't count a possible lever action shotgun..) that I want and the longest is 44" I believe. I just need to know how tall they are.

Thanks for the help though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Be very careful about storing firearms in foam lined cases. In certain circumstances it will hold moisture next to your firearms and promote rust. They are intended for transport of firearms only..
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the starlite double rifle case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top