Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2007 8:12:36 PM EDT
I got summoned for jury duty on wednesday. I had the letter for a while and was going to go. But things have gotten really busy at work. There is nobody else there that can do my job cause he is going on vacation. My boss said he would write me a letter, but it's passed the time to contest it. What do I do? And what happens if I just say fuck it and don't go?

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Pathetic....

I bet you complain about a erosion of rights as well...

You have a chance to be the most powerful part of the checks and balances system and it's a burden

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the letter from your boss and go down there. If you don't show up, there will be a warrant for your arrest. They won't come and "get you", but if you get pulled over, you're going to jail.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Do I have to respond to the jury summons?

RCW 2.36.170 states, "A person summoned for jury service who intentionally fails to appear as directed shall be guilty of a misdemeanor." Please respond to your summons. The justice system in Washington State cannot function without citizens willing to serve on jury duty. As one juror said, "if everyone tried to dodge jury duty, then what ...?"

How do I reschedule jury duty?

Look at your jury summons form. There will be a telephone number to call, or an address to which you can write, so that you may request that your service be rescheduled, if necessary, to a more convenient time.

Who can be excused from serving?

Those eligible may be excused from jury service if they have illnesses that would interfere with their ability to do a good job, would suffer unusual hardship if required to serve, or are unable to serve for other legitimate reasons.

What if I have a disability?

Judges and employees of Washington courts are committed to making jury service accessible to everyone. Though some courthouses are in older buildings and certain features may not meet the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibility guidelines, the court will make every effort to ensure equal access to all jurors. Remember:  If you have a hearing, vision, mobility or other disability, please contact a member of the court staff to request reasonable accommodations.

What if I am caring for a dependent child or adult?

We would appreciate it if you would reschedule your jury service to another date when you can make necessary care arrangements rather than asking to be excused. On your jury summons form, you will find a number to call or an address to which you can write to make arrangements to reschedule.

What about my job?

Washington law says employers, "shall provide an employee with sufficient leave of absence from employment when that employee is summoned" for jury duty. It also says employers, "shall not deprive an employee of employment or threaten, coerce, or harass an employee or deny an employee promotional opportunities" for serving as a juror. It does not say your employer has to pay you while you serve.

How much do jurors get paid?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Since you can't  be bothered for jury duty I am sure looking up the information would be troublesome as well...

here ya go

www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/resources/index.cfm?fa=newsinfo_jury.links
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
See if you can reschedule. Just call/visit them. But, still, go do your duty. I've done it, and it was boring and cool at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If you do go, google "jury nullifacation" beforehand. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:40:22 AM EDT
[#7]
edited to not be an asshole
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:44:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#9]
If you don't show up they will issue a warrant- a buddy of mine got arrested for that and it was stupid. They told him he could have just rescheduled.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:51:16 AM EDT
[#10]
The last time I got called for jury duty was before my retirement.

I thought they would kick me out because I had always heard that cops never got jury duty...

They simply pulled me from the criminal trial pool and put me on the civil docket, I had to do it anyway.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#12]
When I go for jury duty I like to sit up by the bench.  That way I get to hear all the lame excuses the judge hears.  I get the impression that the judge has heard a few before.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:59:00 AM EDT
[#13]
People like you should be stripped of their U.S. citizenship and deported to China where you can be re-educated about what it is was to be an American.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you don't show up they will issue a warrant- a buddy of mine got arrested for that and it was stupid. They told him he could have just rescheduled.

Did they send the jury summons via certified mail with return request requested (the little green card) ?

Unless they did, you never got the jury summons.  Remember that.

The way my job used to be, if I did jury duty I would just lose pay for the week or however long it lasted.  Now if I get jury duty, they will pay me.  I'd love to get jury duty because my job is pissing me off.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top