Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2007 6:22:41 PM EDT
So all this talk about super sniper seal gunners of gunshow death has me looking at my DD214. I got to the section that lists awards and noticed I was awarded a Humanitarian Service Medal. Now I never was given this thing let alone told I was awarded it back in the day.

Second WTF?   I recieved a Navy Achievement Medal for participation and the winning of Division Comps. I have the medal, Certificate, and picture of me recieving it. This medal is NOT listed on my DD214 though.

I would like to get this stuff fixed. Any idea how?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
For Army:

Army Career and Alumni Program

My DD Form 214 contains an error, how can I have it corrected?  

To correct your DD Form 214, you must submit a written request to the Official Records Custodian who has the primary responsibility for correcting your form. Ask that a DD Form 214 or 215, as applicable, be issued and be sure to include any supporting documentation and a signed copy of your DD Form 214. Forward your request to the appropriate office shown below.

Active Duty Officers:
Commander, HRC-A
Attn: AHRC-MSR
Room 5N63
200 Stovall Street
Alexandria, VA 22332-0444
Fax: (703) 325-5204
Email: [email protected]

Active Duty Enlisted:
Commander, U.S. Enlisted Records and Evaluation Center
Attn: AHRC-ERP
8899 E. 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-5301
Fax: (317) 510-3685

ARNG Soldiers (Officers and Enlisted):
Respective State AG listed at http://www.ngb.army.mil/2007 Posture Statement/sags.html

Discharged and Reserve Soldiers:
Commander, HRC-STL
Attn: AHRC-CC-B
1 Reserve Way
St. Louis, MO 63132-5200
Fax: (314) 592-1290
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
good answer above, this link may provide additional details

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/correcting-records.html

as for the awards you weren't given....  you might want to check with the unit history or get in contact with the unit itself prior to making a correction.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Contact your PersCom (Personnel Command or whatever the squids ) and tell them about the problem.  You may have been awareded the HumService medal and not know it.  It's strange, but does happen.  Anyhow, tell them about your Navy Achievement medal and how it's not on your DD214.  The YN's at your last unit may even be able to fix it.  I had this problem w/ my 9/11 medal, GWOT Exp and GWOT Service medals, AND my Spec Ops medals.  Damn YN's were too busy fiddle-fuckin' around the first time and I was on terminal leave when they sent my DD214 to my house.  Best of luck...

Go Coast Guard!  J/K  Half my family's a buncha squids.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I'm gonna'a ask a dumb question here, is there a continuation in one of the lower box's for your NAM?
Yes? No?
Discovering new awards on your 214 is nothing new. Thats how I found out about my 5th AAM. I was like you, WTF? I didnt read my 214 completely when I was discharged, and I found one error as well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an award that I was never awarded,somehow,I really don't care. Strange,only thing is I wonder who put me up for it.....they deserve a beer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Lower box just talks about the Good conduct date and that is it as far as awards go. I wish I was not so excited to get out back then! I would have checked this shit over better. You know, when they tell you to ... Uh  Look all this shit over and make sure it's correct.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
You just have to submit a DD215 to personnel.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Lower box just talks about the Good conduct date and that is it as far as awards go. I wish I was not so excited to get out back then! I would have checked this shit over better. You know, when they tell you to ... Uh  Look all this shit over and make sure it's correct.

Oh well.

I remember it well:

Them:  Pay attention and read this shit, it's very important.

Me: Fuck you, I've been standing in this line for 2 fucking hours, I need to piss. Gimme my shit. Fucking Pogue.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I got short changed an AAM, but got put down for an expert .45 badge I never qualified for-I figure me and Uncle are even.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine is skrewed six ways from sunday but thats part of the teritory so...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So all this talk about super sniper seal gunners of gunshow death has me looking at my DD214. I got to the section that lists awards and noticed I was awarded a Humanitarian Service Medal. Now I never was given this thing let alone told I was awarded it back in the day

Sounds like one of those medals that's automatically awarded to everyone with higher cerebral functions who happens to be serving at the same time as some clusterfuck like Somalia or Bosnia, even if you were on the other side of the world and never even met anyone who was deployed there.  Find a few other folks who served at about the same time as you and check their 214s...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I played for a while in E-Timor....

That could be it I guess.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#13]
It's been thirty years since I got out.  Other than the "Honorable" there's not much there I really give a shit about any more.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Sent mine back twice before they got it correct, never accept a DD 214 that is not perfect or you will be screwed. If you have  more than one make sure you know where they are all at or it will cause you grief.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:48:50 AM EDT
[#15]
On the line where it says: "Machine Gun", cross that out and type "Pizza Oven".
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
On the line where it says: "Machine Gun", cross that out and type "Pizza Oven".

Then fill out 22 stroke 15 you are allowed a pizza oven.

I love MASH until Alan started directing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top