Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2007 10:31:53 AM EDT
I bought a new HP laptop, and my trial period of Microsoft Office Word 2007 has expired. I didn't really care for the new version in the first place, so I've decided not to buy it. Can anyone recommend a good, free word processor?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Open Office
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
OpenOffice.org. It has pretty much all the functionality of MS Office and without the damn annoying paperclip. I use it even though I could get MS Office through my school for almost nothing. And you can save in MS Office formats for compatibility.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Got mine 38 years ago.

Sorry, took a nap and woke up a smartass.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.openoffice.org

yep.  

Good stuff, and the price is right.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

HAHAHAHAHA!

Well done.

~GnSx

P.S.: One more vote for Open Office
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#8]
google docs (docs.google.com) is free, your docs are accessible anywhere you can get internet, and is  adequate for many simple tasks.  No software installation is necessary, it's all web based.

StarOffice is Sun's "productized" Open Office, if you felt the urge to pay a little money and get support.  It's mostly the same as open office.  There is a free version if you don't want to pay for the support.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
google docs (docs.google.com) is free, your docs are accessible anywhere you can get internet, and is  adequate for many simple tasks.  No software installation is necessary, it's all web based.

StarOffice is Sun's "productized" Open Office, if you felt the urge to pay a little money and get support.  It's mostly the same as open office.  There is a free version if you don't want to pay for the support.

privacy issues...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

StarOffice is 100% Open Office.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I bought a new HP laptop, and my trial period of Microsoft Office Word 2007 has expired. I didn't really care for the new version in the first place, so I've decided not to buy it. Can anyone recommend a good, free word processor?

About the only one out there for Windows is OpenOffice...

Used to be StarOffice, and was pretty bad back then, but they've had a good 5+ years to make it better...

The key is MS Office compatibility...

The big draw-back on development impetus is that most non-business Windows users just pirate MS Office, rather than using an alternative...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want only a word processor and not an entire office suite, you might also take a look at AbiWord. It's free and open source and has many nice features including Microsoft Word compatibility, but it's not anywhere close to the size or resource usage of the monolith that is OpenOffice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Got mine 38 years ago.
i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/dlaaw/brain2.jpg

Abby Normal

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 on Open Office.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Another +1 for Open Office
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top