Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/3/2007 6:44:59 AM EDT
Watch the Whole video they actually bust a guy.
Deer Decoy

So If the guy would have gotten out of his truck and went to the side of the road. Went Prone. Would It have been just target practice?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#1]
ok. so.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Good, I hate road hunters.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Good idea,.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]
They've been doing this for a long time. I've seen some pretty funny videos of them busting people shooting at them. One guy slung three or four arrows at one before they sprang the trap....pretty funny.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They've been doing this for a long time. I've seen some pretty funny videos of them busting people shooting at them. One guy slung three or four arrows at one before they sprang the trap....pretty funny.

Yep, they have had them here in GA for a while. One has been shot a BUNCH of times. Road hunters deserve what they get.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh yay!

Another dangerous criminal (and gun) off the streets!

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Porblem is the punishment is not that bad.  These people give hunters a real bad name.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]
They do it here every year.

As someone who spends countless hours in the woods I am glad they get these guys.

Had the shooter taken a couple of steps off the roadway he would have probably been fine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if it's legal to hunt deer over bait piles there?
Cause that's what they're doing to the hunters.

Are the "hunters" in the wrong? Yes. Would a real deer ever stand still long enough for this to happen? I honestly don't know.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Good for the DNR.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Road hunters.... screw 'm.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not a hunter, so educate me.

Why is "road" hunting so frowned upon?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Those same 'hunters' probably use the McDonald's drive-through window a lot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Had a buddy, put a stalk on a robo deer right at dusk. He was archery hunting and made a legal shot on the deer. The OSP told him he was the first person in a couple years to actually make a legal shot on it. Then helped him find his arrow, because he is a terrible shot with a bow!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Problem is the punishment is not that bad.  These people give hunters a real bad name.

The punishment is pretty severe in Colorado. You can lose your car & rifle because they were used in the commission of a crime.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Because your not on the ground, in a tree, or sitting in a blind- duh.

Sarcasm of course. I honestly don't see a problem with it esspecially for handicapped people.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Probably because "road" hunters don't bother to buy a hunting license or tags. There is usually laws against hunting within so many feet of a roadway, etc.

Not to mention it's dangerous.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Been doing that in my area for years.

I don't see any problem with it, road hunters are notorious for taking unsafe (ie towards people's houses) shots. Besides, if you're dumb enough to take a shot at a fake deer, you're among those that deserve to get busted.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#19]
This happened to a friend of a friend of my father's. no joke.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Porblem is the punishment is not that bad.  These people give hunters a real bad name.

In New York you get caught road hunting and they take your gun and have been known to seize cars as well.  My dad and the local ECO(New York for Game Warden) used to do this all the time.  The best decoy to use is a small 4 or 6 pointer.  When ever they put out big bucks folks wouldn't shoot but you put a mediocre deer out there and all of a sudden its shooting time.  

Some of the people who have been caught include a Town Judge,  very wealthy local businessman,  and the best one,  a town worker who was driving the plow and decided to take a shot at it (they decided not to seize the plow).  I got the chance to go out a few times with them.  Its basically hours of cold boredom broken up by gunshots. Good times.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#21]
We have a MAJOR problem with these guys. (They mostly come from San Antonio.)

The bastards will shoot anything that moves,  (Including livestock) cut the fence to retrieve it and never give one bit of thought to who or what may be downrange.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Someone passing by on the road probably doesn't know the area or who is in the area at the time he shoots.  Most likely to be shooting onto someones property where they don't have permission, traffic concerns, etc.

More about safety than anything.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In what way is shooting while standing on asphalt more dangerous than if you are standing on dirt?

Sounds like a circular argument to me:

Why is road hunting frowned upon?
Because it's illegal.
Why is it illegal?
Because it's dangerous.
Why is it dangerous?
Because it's illegal.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The bastards will shoot anything that moves,  (Including livestock) cut the fence to retrieve it and never give one bit of thought to who or what may be downrange.

I heard of "regular" hunters doing the same thing, and a road had nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In what way is shooting while standing on asphalt more dangerous than if you are standing on dirt?

Because it's illegal.
Why is it illegal?
Because it's dangerous.
Why is it dangerous?
Because it's illegal.

yeah, i see the words "probably" and "likely" in those descripitons.  not words that should go with "illegal"
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because your not on the ground, in a tree, or sitting in a blind- duh.

Sarcasm of course. I honestly don't see a problem with it esspecially for handicapped people.  

There are permits a handicapped person can get in order to hunt from a vehicle.  You have to be off the road and there are a few other stipulations.

That is different from Joe Bob and Billy Jeff being to lazy to get out in the woods, and don't be fooled into thinking they are just salt of the earths trying to get by.  I have seen cases of road hunters who were doing it for profit and absolutely decimating a resident deer population. If people let them get away with it gets worse and worse.  Its just wrong and no justification can change that.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard of "regular" hunters doing the same thing, and a road had nothing to do with it.

Glad to see your record of defending asshat behavior is intact.

What part of "it's dangerous as hell and destructive of other people's property" do you not get?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Generally speaking,

Road hunting east of the Mississippi = Illegal and viewed as unethical.

Road Hunting West of the Mississippi = Acceptable method of taking game.

No rhyme or reason other than there is more ground to cover out west.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#30]
had a guy drive off the road and run over A FAKE DEER here.alcohol and drugs involved. I posted artical here last year
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it's illegal.
Why is it illegal?
Because it's dangerous.
Why is it dangerous?
Because it's illegal.

Rule #4
Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Thats why

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Just want to hang around and see the ensuing train wreck as someone argues against something that has been around for decades and is liked by the people in the area it is used.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:35:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad to see your record of defending asshat behavior is intact.

What part of "it's dangerous as hell and destructive of other people's property" do you not get?

I'm not defending "dangerous" behavior as much as I am trying to find out why    it is intrinsically more dangerous when an asshat takes a shot at a deer from a road vs. when an asshat takes a shot at a deer from behind a bush.

After personally witnessing asshattery from "regular" hunters, I'm left wondering why it's such a big deal when it's pavement under one's feet instead of dirt and leaves.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I saw one where the guy drove off the road and rammed the decoy with his truck. It seriously messed up the front of his truck.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it's illegal.
Why is it illegal?
Because it's dangerous.
Why is it dangerous?
Because it's illegal.

Rule #4
Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Thats why

Are you insinuating that "regular" hunters aren't capable of violating rule #4?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yep.

Although most of them I report/catch come from the Houston area. Ever see a grown man cry when his 40k Suburban gets towed off?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Here in North Carolina hunting from the road is regulated on a county by county basis.  In Columbus County the regulation states:

Hunt, take or kill any wild animal or wild bird with a firearm on,
from or across the right-of-way of any public road or highway
without obtaining written permission of the owner or lessee of
the land abutting the road or the land across which the weapon
is being discharged.

So, If you have gotten the written permission of the land owner you are good to go.

That being said, I have a friend that was busted for shooting one of those decoys.  He had the written permission but just before he took the shot he took off his orange hat.  And that was the only thing that the game warden got him for.   If he had only left that hat on the game warden couldn't have done a darn thing to him.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a hunter, so educate me. /snip
/quote]
Rule #4

Thats why

hows it going
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Serious question: What, exactly, is the crime? Shooting too close to a road? They aren't shooting animals, even though that's obviously their intent, they're shooting robots. So are they charged with destruction of property or vandalism or something?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#40]
That guy did it all wrong, your supposed to hang the rifle out the window of the truck from the seat (in the heated cab) fire the weapon, drive off then come back in like a hour in a different vehicle with a pal to help you load it up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a hunter, so educate me. /snip
/quote]
Rule #4

Thats why

hows it going

Going fine, thank you. And you?

Now, back to the discussion at hand, we have a few posters here saying how it is legal to shoot game from a roadside...and others who say it is illegal and inherently dangerous.

But no one can say why    it is inherently dangerous...other than it being illegal and the fact that the four rules of safe firearms handling are violated.

Well, HOW are they violated? How does a "regular" hunter intrinsically know what is down range more than a "road" hunter? They're BOTH shooting into the woods....
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I wonder what would happen if a severely de-ranged person or an absolute prankster were to stop by the roadside and not try to shoot the deer, but rather mate with it.  What would the DNR do with such a person?

(disclaimer: I am not such a person, but I think that'd make a pretty good prank on the DNR)
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I'm not defending "dangerous" behavior as much as I am trying to find out why    it is intrinsically more dangerous when an asshat takes a shot at a deer from a road vs. when an asshat takes a shot at a deer from behind a bush.

As a non-asshat hunter I'll give this a shot...

I thoroughly scout out the land on which I've received permission to hunt.  I purchase all licenses and tags that I need, and follow all the game laws.  I know exactly what's in the area, where I can shoot safely, where I've got good backstops, and where any houses or outbuildings are (no shoot zones).  I don't destroy fences, crops, or other property, I don't shoot or otherwise harass livestock, I leave gates as I found them, and I let the landowner know exactly when and where I'll be that day.

Road hunters don't do that, and don't know for certain that a shot they're taking won't hit a house or something downrange if they miss the deer.  They have to trespass on someone else's land - usually breaking a fence to do it - and will shoot game out of season.  In short, they're poachers who use their vehicles as their stands.  A pox on them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Serious question: What, exactly, is the crime? Shooting too close to a road? They aren't shooting animals, even though that's obviously their intent, they're shooting robots. So are they charged with destruction of property or vandalism or something?

In many places like here in WA it is illegal to shoot from or across a public maintained road, you have to be at least 30 feet from it.  It is also illegal to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle.  There are two crimes there, not to mention whether the guy has a tag or not.  They get a lot of them at night time, which is another offense.  

They even have decoy pheasants here.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I have never seen any evidence that road hunters are worse then any other hunter.

The worse part is other hunters can't see that.  You can not name 1 thing wrong with road hunting where that same argument can not be used for all hunting.

They are lazy....oh yeah sitting in a tree for 3 hours is a real work out.

they don't have permits....like mud on the shoe is a permit

they disregard whats behind the game...My house a new hole every year..and it isn't from the road.

If you are outside of the city limits it should not be a crime.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Oh yay!

Another dangerous criminal (and gun) moron off the streets!

More like it. Some dumbass who's too lazy and stupid to get out of his truck. He knew better, and paid for it.

Stupid hurts- and it should.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I wonder what would happen if a severely de-ranged person or an absolute prankster were to stop by the roadside and not try to shoot the deer, but rather mate with it.  What would the DNR do with such a person?

(disclaimer: I am not such a person, but I think that'd make a pretty good prank on the DNR)

I wonder if it would fit in a dresser drawer?

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Good for them.

HATE road hunters. If you cant get your ass out of the truck and at least do a little walking around..... screw ya. I see it every year here. You see the same guys driving up and down the road, scanning the hillsides and hoping some mulie is stupid enough to be wandering around during the day.

Now, if it is a hadicapped person and they have the permit, that it ok.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh yay!

Another dangerous criminal (and gun) moron off the streets!

More like it. Some dumbass who's too lazy and stupid to get out of his truck. He knew better, and paid for it.

Stupid hurts- and it should.

I'm not saying you are a dumbass, but you sure sound confident about the details of a video you obviously haven't even watched.

Then again, I have to remind myself that this is    AR15.com GD.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#50]
It's more about it being illegal to hunt from a vehicle.  'Cause if it wasn't, people would be driving through the woods running animals down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top