Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2007 6:31:11 AM EDT
Yes there are other means but....
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
No, Take them to the Vet and have them do it.

That way they go out comfy and not bouncing around.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Use a Vet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Livestock, yes.  

Companion animal, no.  (...unless it's a cat.)
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  It's a sad thing, but unfortunately one I've had to do several times in my life.  I trust myself to take care of business more than a vet who probably doesn't give a shit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Livestock, yes.  

It is a cat...18 years old. I'm not against using the vet or other methods. Cat and I have just coexisted for the past 18 years...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Livestock, yes.  

Companion animal, no.  

I agree w/ this except for the cat part.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Livestock, yes.  

It is a cat...18 years old. I'm not against using the vet or other methods. Cat and I have just coexisted for the past 18 years...

I lost a cat that I had for 15 years and I wouldn't have been able to do it.  I say let the cat live out his/her life at home OR take it to the vet.

I had to have my cat put down and the dude purred during the entire episode (made it that much more heartbreaking).  But a gradual fall into the big sleep is MUCH better then a violent end!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Pay the extra to have a vet come to the house. The animal will know why you are bringing it out to the vet, many can sense such things. At least at home, it will be in familiar surroundings. Our vet said she would do it, if one our our dogs ever needed it.
They can do an injection at your house just as easy as the vets office. And then you don't have that sucky drive home.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Not a cat fan but ever see an animal bounce around if shot wrong?

Vet, Needle, goes to sleep.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#10]
If it is your pet, it is better to let someone else handle it.  Saying that, I grew up with hunting dogs, and I always felt it was my responsibility to put a dog out of their misery when the time came.  Do it enough, sadly, and it is a real simple process.  But those were hunting dogs, not pets.  Comes with being a farm boy...the little woman is a vetrenarian.  I posted in team a little while back about my dog that had cancer.  My sister was tore up for the dog and the future-Mrs. Crossedsabres was tore up since she found it and took care of it, and I had lost my dog.  Bad day.  I hope you can do what you think is right, but unless you have done the thing(with a canine--a .410 birdshot to the brain stem, a horse--large calibre slow speed rifle or pistol b/w the eyes with a slight upward tilt.)  Life is so fragile...love while you can.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes there are other means but....

It's your animal. As long as there are no restriction on firing a gun where you are, of course it's ok.
That said, it's hard as hell when you've had em that long.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Disposal of the body becomes an issue. There are legal, and illegal ways to do it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#13]
While there is nothing "wrong" about it, I'd prefer my last image of a loved pet to be of him or her going to sleep peacefully.  Not of the aftermath of being shot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Had to put one of my favorite cats down about 15 years ago.

He had gotten out earlier that evening and a neighborhood yellow lab got a hold of him about 2AM and tore him up real bad and broke his back. I got to him about 30 seconds after it happened and ran the lab off. He was going into shock and I couldn't get my vet to call me back in time to do anything for him.

It was the hardest thing I've ever done for a loved pet. Contact distance .22 to to brain pan. I've had other loved dogs and cats put down at the vet's office and that's hard too. Seeing the light go out of their eyes really gets to me.

Damn, I'm upset writing about this right now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#15]
      In different situations I have gone both ways. 22mag in the back yard on a cocker spaniel and the vet and needle with a Lab.
      It was the right time for the lab and way past for the cocker.
      If you have faith you can do the deed clean and there are not issues with the neighbors there is nothing wrong with it .
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll usually do it myself, unless we are already at the vet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Livestock, yes.  

+1
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#18]
at first i thought this was another grandpa thread from last ngiht

in some cases it is, but i could never do that to one of my pets it would be just like killing a family member
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Not a cat fan but ever see an animal bounce around if shot wrong?

Vet, Needle, goes to sleep.

They "bounce around" if shot right. CNS hits tend to do that . . .

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I had to have my 12 year old Lab put down a couple of months ago. I considered doing it myself. That shit is bad for your soul. I let the Vet do it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Use a Vet.

Good luck getting Ol' Yeller into the travel cage.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#22]
It isn't even conceivable for me to put down a pet by those means--even it had been run over and lay dying, I just don't think I'd have the heart to level a rifle at him/her.  

On the other hand, taking them to the vet isn't an easy task, either.  That whole ride over there you're looking in the rear view knowing what's going to happen, tearing up as the pooch just thinks they're out for a ride.  Worst day of my life was bringing my last dog to the MSPCA.  Did a lot of cryin' that day.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pay the extra to have a vet come to the house. The animal will know why you are bringing it out to the vet, many can sense such things. At least at home, it will be in familiar surroundings. Our vet said she would do it, if one our our dogs ever needed it.
They can do an injection at your house just as easy as the vets office. And then you don't have that sucky drive home.

by far the best option.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes.  A bullet to the brain is instantaneous and painless.  For the dog, anyways.

Whichever is easier on you emotionally is the way to go.  To me, they're dead either way and I wouldn't feel any better driving them to be euthanized.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I have and will again do it myself.  I am not being cold or tough,  I will openly admit to crying like a baby when I have done it but that is the reality of life.  Just the way I was raised.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have and will again do it myself.  I am not being cold or tough,  I will openly admit to crying like a baby when I have done it but that is the reality of life.  Just the way I was raised.

I don't cry, but I feel bad.  Bad that it was necessary, not bad that I helped a friend out of his pain.

To be painfully honest, I have always thought it cowardly to pay a hitman, then call it compassion instead of admitting that one is just too soft to do it themselves.  The guys that say it's wrong to do it myself, but OK to buy it done are contemptible.  They are attacking my way as a means to assuage their own conscience.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#27]
If it's seriously injured and in extreme pain, put it down yourself.
If it's just sick and not in a tremendous deal of pain, but still needs to be put down, get a vet to do it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Had a dog get pinched between a trailer jack and the ground, had to put him down.  $73 for everything.  It didnt hit me to hard, I knew he was starting to having problems getting up and moving and that just did him in.  He was at that point where he wasnt getting better and you knew he would be better off.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#29]
What is more humane to the pet, being transpoted to a place he fears, getting restraind, and preforated by a needle, or sitting in a comfortable environment, recieving affection, and a mouth full of its favorite treat.

Note--Be sure you know exactly where the brain is,  Use a degree of force larger than realy neccessary to ensure it is humane,  If you're prone to flinching, or your vision isn't clear, have the vet do it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#30]
yes it is fine if you are cool with it

it will not matter to the animal

it is just an animal in the end
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#31]
i've had to do it several times.

shot placement is key, minimizes the flopping around and suffering bit.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Livestock, yes.  

agree with all.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't cry, but I feel bad.  Bad that it was necessary, not bad that I helped a friend out of his pain.

To be painfully honest, I have always thought it cowardly to pay a hitman, then call it compassion instead of admitting that one is just too soft to do it themselves.  The guys that say it's wrong to do it myself, but OK to buy it done are contemptible.  They are attacking my way as a means to assuage their own conscience.

I have no problem with other folks using a vet,  the folks that I really take issue with are the ones who are so selfish that they spend boatloads of money to keep thier pets alive in painful conditions.  
I find PETA freaks are more abusive to pets than most normal folks.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

One of the sickest things I've ever seen is when we took my brother's cat to be put down. They told us the animal wouldn't feel a thing. They injected the cat, his eyes turned completely black, he screamed and fell of the table where he lay twitching until he died.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have no problem with other folks using a vet,  the folks that I really take issue with are the ones who are so selfish that they spend boatloads of money to keep thier pets alive in painful conditions.  
I find PETA freaks are more abusive to pets than most normal folks.  

I'm with you; I have seen some horrible examples of that myself.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the sickest things I've ever seen is when we took my brother's cat to be put down. They told us the animal wouldn't feel a thing. They injected the cat, his eyes turned completely black, he screamed and fell of the table where he lay twitching until he died.

They cheaped out.
The animal should of been sleeping before the shot was given.
Hotshots are cheap the other stuff they use costs the most.
Hope he sleeps at night.

I am not a coward and want someone else to do it.
I dont trust myself to shoot that well while drawing down on an animal that I had loved.
I shot a cat years ago and wont do it again, Shouldnt of suffered like that and I couldnt aim again to kill it, It just turned out bad.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been putting down my own animals and those of friends and neighbors for years now.  There ain't no way I'm spending $50 to God knows how much to do the same job that a single round from a 9mm, .45ACP or a .357Mag will do...most people I know feel the same way.  I get no joy from it, it is simply something that needs to be done.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If it's seriously injured and in extreme pain, put it down yourself.
If it's just sick and not in a tremendous deal of pain, but still needs to be put down, get a vet to do it.

First correct answer.

If it is in pain, do it Right F'ing Now.

The CNS shot removes the consciousness, it is just the motor nerves that fire to make it jump. Yes, you will see it in your mind forever, but better you suffer a little bit than have your pet (or any animal) be in pain.

Any laws about putting down your own animal? I'm sure that the animal rights activists have worked in some animal cruelty law somewhere to make the really humane thing illegal.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#39]
I have been pondering this very subject myself for a while now.  At my ranch my lab loves it their, but I just do not know how humane a bullet is.  I work at a vet's office and have been their when animals have been put down.  When the time comes, (hopefully not for many years) I may ask the vet to give me a syringe full of the drug so I can do it myself at my ranch.  He will be buried their overlooking a lake which he has fetched many ducks off of.  I am really dreading that day.  Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An animal knows you are taking it to the vet to euthanize it? Wow I have been under estimating their capabilities for a long time now. Sorry but I ain't buying this not even a little.

TO me it is a good thing when you feel enough compassion to worry about it. I would for legal reasons have a vet do it. I bet in most of the country it is against the law to put your own animal down by shooting it unless it just got mashed or something and is in pain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top