Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2007 8:51:48 PM EDT
Was deer hunting the last week.  So we drive out a swamp and I watch my cousin shoot a deer(doe).  It drops and gets up and hobbles back into the swamp where I jumped it.  So we find it still alive and put it down and drag it out.  He rolls it over to gut it and we notice the whole underside of the hinds are chewed up and scabbed over and the tail is stripped off and only the bone is left.  Its all infected and pussed.  it was a yearling and was running with three mature deer we didint get a shot at.  I figured coyotes got at it and the older deer probably drove them off or it hunkered down in that swamp to get away.  The meat in both hinds was pretty bad so we drug it back and left it for the scavengers.  The next day the whole thing was gone, drug off by one of the bears that roams the place I figure.  

What say you?  I have seen and heard coyotes in the area but wasnt sure if they preyed on grown deer?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Coyotes will do that.

I've seen feral dogs do the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Coyotes will do that.

I've seen feral dogs do the same thing.

+1 coyotes and/or feral dogs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
hell yes they do, they can kill catlle also the bastards...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Cattle are pretty good at keeping them run off though.  It will usually be a newborn that will get taken if any get taken at all.

Of course I shot quite a few coyote as a kid, that may be the reason they never got to the cattle very much.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
When I lived in Maine(early 80’s) the deer would herd in old growth pine groves because the snow would be 5+ feet deep in the hardwoods. The coyotes would slaughter them. I would find 10 to 15 dear that they had killed and half eaten. Damm coyotes. They would even try for the our horse every once and a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top