Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2007 8:32:03 PM EDT
I have some property I visit probably 4 times a year.

I was there this weekend and noticed someone had a deer stand up.  

Now I do not have no hunting signs up and I do not really care too much but I have had experiences where people will take advantage of things like this.

Proper arfcom action would be?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd leave a polite note on the stand that it was on private property and to kindly remove it.  I'd probably leave my cell phone number.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider it a free stand obviously.

This happens a lot on our place, mostly bow hunters.  I haven't bought deer feeders or pop-up blinds in years.

I usually get a good price on Craigslist for them.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Consider it a free stand obviously.

This happens a lot on our place, mostly bow hunters.  I haven't bought deer feeders or pop-up blinds in years.

I thought about doing that but guilt got the better of me.  In all reality I will probably do nothing until the next time I make it out there and then just leave a note.

It is about a 4 hour drive to get there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it.

They will get the hint.

Why feel guilty for a criminal?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I am now offering a land protection service. Simply put I will keep others from damaging or using your property and it only cost you letting me hunt the place. I will even put the blind to good use.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

A lot of them get the hint when they find themselves buying their olld tree stands back.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd leave a polite note on the stand that it was on private property and to kindly remove it.  I'd probably leave my cell phone number.

+1
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you hunt the property ?

You could take it if you wanted.

If you don't have a problem with it and it looks like this hunter is the only one using the property . What's the harm?

You could leave a note on the tree with your number .

When he calls and if he seems okay let him hunt.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#9]
leave a note where the stand was, with your contact info and instructions on how to get their stand back.

this of course is a setup for trespassing charges, storage fees for the stand or what have you.

most likely, they won't call and you got a new deer stand
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to be excessively polite, you could leave a note explaining that the person who put it there disregarded your private property rights and hurt your feelings.

Me, I would probably just take it and plant a no-flash game camera to catch the perp when he/she came to use it.  I would also probably post some no trespassing signs on the property lines so there was no confusion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you want to be excessively polite, you could leave a note explaining that the person who put it there disregarded your private property rights and hurt your feelings.

Me, I would probably just take it and plant a no-flash game camera to catch the perp when he/she came to use it.  I would also probably post some no trespassing signs on the property lines so there was no confusion.

Good job MCGRUFF

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Since your land is not posted, I'd go the polite route and see how they respond. I'd also go buy some NO TRESSPASSING signs and hang them up if you don't want folks traipsing across the property.

If they continue after that, you get to open up "SoonerBorns' Used Deer Stands Inc." with which to fund some game cameras and other property improvements.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Does OK have a purple paint law? If so, I would make sure to paint fence post purple so you can bust them if you catch them out there
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I think my solution will be to first make sure it is not any of my neighbors who put it up, put a note up if they say no, and store it at my uncles out there.  That is of course if my uncle will agree to go take it down.  To expensive and time consuming for me to do it.

No real harm in them hunting there, I just would like to know who is coming and going on the property.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think my solution will be to first make sure it is not any of my neighbors who put it up, put a note up if they say no, and store it at my uncles out there.

No real harm in them hunting there, I just would like to know who is coming and going on the property.

Thanks

that is the way to handle it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]
This is my idea of "Polite"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top