Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2007 5:51:24 PM EDT
Going to Africa in June.  Taking rifle, scope, a few other accessories.  Don't want to spend $350-$400 on a Tuffpak, so tell me about other options.

Pelican seems a bit too heavy (I have a weight limit) but the Storm and SKB look nice.  The Storm looks nice since it has 4 locking points as well as top and bottom latches as well as the 4 on the side.

Any opinions or experiences with any of these?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think all three make very durable cases. The Storm and Pelican may be a little tougher than the SKB. You might want to take a look at Starlight also they are a litle heavt but very tough.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
International baggage gorillas......I'd get a aluminum Kalispel case...No sense in going cheap if you are going to be spending alot of $$$ anyway on an African hunting trip.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
International baggage gorillas......I'd get a aluminum Kalispel case...No sense in going cheap if you are going to be spending alot of $$$ anyway on an African hunting trip.

Big +1.

In fact, when you get back, rent the damn thing here.  Charge replacement fee for deposit, and a rental fee.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I used a pelican when I went to africa.great case
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're spending the $$$ to fly yourself and a high-end scoped hunting rifle to Africa, spend the $$$ and get a decent case.  Personally I'm partial to Pelican for their performance and customer service.  A few years back United Airlines mangled my Pelican case.  The contents were fine, and Pelican replaced the case at no charge.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm leaning towards the Storm due to weight and latching/locking mechanisms.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Pelican even though it is a bit heavy. The extra protection is worth it. about 10 years I ago I went to Switzerland to compete in the Master's World Cup. When we arrived in Grindelwald one of my fellow Alaskans' found his ski's broken in half, even though they were in a locked hard plastic ski case. If you are going to spend a lot of money to get somewhere, its worth the extra expense to make sure your tools or toys work when you get there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top