Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 4:01:54 PM EDT
How do you budget your income?  How do you log your expenses?

When you do monthly data, how do you count your income if you are paid weekly?  Just count 4 checks and when a month comes around with 5 pay days just throw the 5th check into savings?

What else do you do?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
no budget.

I just dont buy anything.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
no budget.

I just dont buy anything.
That's actually what I've been doing for many years.  Being single with no kids, I have always made more than enough to cover my expenses and save money.  I never had to set a budget or log my expenses.

I would like to start just to see what I'm spending my income on and I would like to budget to see if I could save even more money.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Income/Expenses are logged into MS Money. With over 4 years of data I can easily caculate how much money I need per paycheck. Anything left over that figure goes into a long term savings account.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
It's called the Wing-it system; a highly evolved scrapbook of not-paying-attention.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have little green pieces of paper with numbers on them to keep track of how much currency I have.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Quicken. For each paycheck you receive you need to enter your pay. Plus you have to enter and account for every single penny spent unless you just want to categorize a can of soda at the machine a miscellaneous expenses. However then you don't really get a true picture of where your money is going. It becomes a pain in the ass at first but once you get into rhythm you can map exactly where you are wasting your money!! I found that my largest single optional expense was going out to lunch. Once I reduced that spending I suddenly found my next greatest expense increase was guns stuff!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
hmm i just downloaded Quicken trial, and frankly my 8 page spreadsheet seems alot simpler to use and more useful
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I just use an excel sheet.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I run out of money when I run out of checks. And if anybody asks, I wasn't here.

BRB, somebody's at the door.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
hmm after playing with quicken for an hour I am now convinced I can do it all better with a spreadsheet, except for future predictions.

Anyone know how to write a function in OpenOffice that is date dependent?

IE something like

IF(check date command)>X then input a deposit/ debit?

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My brain.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I check my bank account balance.  Then I try not to spend more money then I have.

After bills of course....

Does that count as a system?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#13]
MS Money
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I use Excel to keep track of my normal monthly stuff, mortgage, electric, etc.  Just to make sure I didn't misplace a bill and forget about it.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I log my earnings and expenditures in my check book.  Receipts for expenses are managed by giving them to the Mrs, who happens to a meticulous records keeper.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I run out of money when I run out of checks. And if anybody asks, I wasn't here.

BRB, somebody's at the door.

Dude, you look, and sound just like my brother!!!(if that is your picture)

If nothing goes to overdraft protection, then YEAH ME!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I just keep a flat text file for all my accounts: checking, savings, credit card.  For checking I just put the date, memo, transacation amount on each line, sort of mimicking the old check book ledger.  Then I wrote a perl program (one of the benefits of having programming skills) that will add and subtract all the transactions to the penny.

Then with each months statement I balance the checkbook, crossing off everything thats in the statement.  Works well.

I keep a log by year of stuff I buy, rounded up or down to the nearest dollar, it's just a running flat file as well.  I use the same perl program to add up how much stuff I've spent.

If what I buy has a serial number, I put the serial number in the description field.  Great for insurance purposes

System works pretty good, I can grep for "ammo" for example, and specify a wildcard for the filespec and find how much I've spent on ammo over the years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top