Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:15:21 AM EDT
A couple of weeks ago they posted a job opening that myself and 2 other guys applied for. I found out last week that I got the job when payroll screwed up my paycheck badly.

The Job is a Fleet Mechanic 1 position. All three of us were Mechanic Helpers.

Here is the problem.

The 2 other guys still don't know they didn't get the job. I've been told to keep it under my hat.

One of the guys has worked there for over 10 years and was considered a shoe in for the job. Even the foreman told him he was going to get it.

The other guy has been there 9 years and is a damn good worker.

I've been there 5 months after transferring from being an Automotive teacher. They shut down all the auto tech programs and I needed to keep putting food on the table so I took what was available.

I'm ASE certified in 5 areas plus certified in Air conditioning. In addition I've got a degree in Automotive Technology and training on heavy diesel from the local transit authority.

The other guys only had On the job training going for them. So I know I'm the best qualified for the job. That part doesn't bother me.

Is there anything I can do to smooth things over if they have sand in their vagina's over not getting the job? I am considering at least buying them lunch tomorrow when they find out.

Hive opinions? These guys are my friends so I want to do right by them if possible.

edit to add: I've got 14 years experience in field before I left a 70+k a year job as a tech to teach.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
If they are your friends, you should have no problem, they should be happy for you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#2]
School will never make you smarter than a guy who been doing the work for 10 years.

They will hate you and i am sure they will both find different jobs tommorow.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
This is too normal.  The bosses look at each individual for his or her talents and abilities, the workers often base it all on the number of times they have hit the timeclock.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Fall on your sword and let one of them have it?

No, huh?

You didn't make the selection, HR/Admin did.

Your buddies beef is with the boss.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#6]
They're mechanics, of course there will be a major bitch fest and they will hate your guts and try to back stab you until you quit or they get themselves fired.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
School will never make you smarter than a guy who been doing the work for 10 years.

I would think, given the fact that the OP took the time to get certified, his friends will stay friends and they'll be happy for him. Even with 10 years experience, that doesn't automatically qualify one as certified.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach.

Yeah, this is not going to go over well.  Sounds like you're going to have two openings at your company.

I'd be pissed if I got passed over for a FNG teacher.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#9]
They're good, you're better.

You win, they loose, its very simple.

If powers that be see it that way and they picked you, good on you.

Maybe they should've been better.

Thier beef should be with the boss, not you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach.

Yeah, this is not going to go over well.  Sounds like you're going to have two openings at your company.

wondered how long that would take.

I left a job making 70+k a year as a tech to teach because I love it. I think I fall in the "Those that can, do" category. I've also got 14 years on the job experience in field.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#11]
They have a history there which may contain skeletons in the closets...

and you don't.

Mysetry solved.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I seriously doubt that an auto mechanics teacher is more qualified than the other two candidates. I've known trainers in my profession who have every certification imaginable. In the field, they are next to worthless. Throughout my life, I've found that the saying, "those who can do, those who can't teach" is based in truth. It seems that they may have a reason to be angry if in fact you did get the job. Try not to fall on your face.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I seriously doubt that an auto mechanics teacher is more qualified than the other two candidates. I've known trainers in my profession who have every certification imaginable. In the field, they are next to worthless. Throughout my life, I've found that the saying, "those who can do, those who can't teach" is based in truth. It seems that they may have a reason to be angry if in fact you did get the job. Try not to fall on your face.

Had that happen to a male shift supervisor who got passed over so they could put a female with less experience and the same amount of schooling into the slot above him.He had at least two or three times the hands on experience she did. He was not happy to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't buy them lunch. It could be taken as a pitty gesture. Just do your job and don't gloat.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I wouldn't buy them lunch. It could be taken as a pitty gesture. Just do your job and don't gloat.

+1 IMO

Unless it is normal for you all to go out to lunch together, I think this may make things worse. Give it a little time at least. They might be a little sore over it for a while, but they will get over it, or they'll leave. If they are really your friends it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Just show them the respect they deserve. Don't gloat, etc.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 IMO

Unless it is normal for you all to go out to lunch together, I think this may make things worse. Give it a little time at least. They might be a little sore over it for a while, but they will get over it, or they'll leave. If they are really your friends it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Just show them the respect they deserve. Don't gloat, etc.

fair enough. Never had any intention of gloating. I am just looking to smooth things over some.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Good advice, when a guy's nose is out of joint they don't percieve gestures the way they're intended.  

Just be the normal you and be professional.  heck I wouldn't even start a conversation about it.  

I recall the same thing happening in one of our shops.  The mech with more time with the outfit got super burned that a guy with 8 years exp. got the job when he had 14.  Both were fine mech's but wouldn't even talk to eachother or pass messages regarding appointments to each other.  Finally the senior guy who didn't get the job transferred to another agency.  In the end he got a job with a bigger paycheck but it took the "insult" to motivate him to do it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think, given the fact that the OP took the time to get certified, his friends will stay friends and they'll be happy for him. Even with 10 years experience, that doesn't automatically qualify one as certified.

No, but if it were me doing the hiring, the actual hands on experience is what brings the money in the door.  Not how smart someone looks on paper.

But, I don't do HR.  I fix things for other people.  

Best of luck on your new job.  I have a feeling you're going to be doing it alone pretty soon.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've also got 14 years on the job experience in field.

There you go.

You are certified in several areas.

You have 14 years experience.

If it comes down to two or three guys who do good work, the guy with more experience and certifications always gets my pick. If you take the time to learn about what you do and stay current with the field, they you are proving that you WANT to learn and better yourself.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd wanna know why your Uncle who made the decision to promote you instead of them screwed up your payroll. Goddamnit Unc, get the paycheck straight or you aint coming over on Christmas this year!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd wanna know why your Uncle who made the decision to promote you instead of them screwed up your payroll. Goddamnit Unc, get the paycheck straight or you aint coming over on Christmas this year!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I would probably be mad if the same happened to me.  In my profession I have 10 years experience and can out do just about anyone that has just gotten out of school.  Hands on experience is better than a degree any day.  I do not have a degree or certificate for it.   Learning from a book doesn't mean squat IMO. Some employers just think that a degree means more.  On paper it looks great, but as far as skill goes, can you honestly say that you know more than a guy with 10 years of experience?  If you can, then good for you, you earned the job.  You have the degree and the knowledge.  I hope these guys will remain friends with you and do not leave their jobs, because you did not make the hiring decision.  Good luck with your new job as I am sure it will help your family out.    Hopefully there is a hefty raise.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#24]
You won, they lost. You must be doing something right. Feel good about your advancment, and if the others can't take it that is their problem.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow so much for hands on experience! I guess if you look good on paper you can solve the worlds problems right?

I worked in a Fleet Service and it's already been said about what in the real world is to be expected from the co-workers(which are no longer),,,,,seen it happen more than once

BTW to the OP your HR is very unprofessional
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#26]
they need to learn to deal with it or they will have issues at every job they have.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach.

Why don't you STFU?

Igorant people really bother me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A couple of weeks ago they posted a job opening that myself and 2 other guys applied for. I found out last week that I got the job when payroll screwed up my paycheck badly.

The Job is a Fleet Mechanic 1 position. All three of us were Mechanic Helpers.

Here is the problem.

The 2 other guys still don't know they didn't get the job. I've been told to keep it under my hat.

One of the guys has worked there for over 10 years and was considered a shoe in for the job. Even the foreman told him he was going to get it.

I've been there 5 months after transferring from being an Automotive teacher. They shut down all the auto tech programs and I needed to keep putting food on the table so I took what was available.

I'm ASE certified in 5 areas plus certified in Air conditioning. In addition I've got a degree in Automotive Technology and training on heavy diesel from the local transit authority.

The other guys only had On the job training going for them. So I know I'm the best qualified for the job. That part doesn't bother me.

Is there anything I can do to smooth things over if they have sand in their vagina's over not getting the job? I am considering at least buying them lunch tomorrow when they find out.

Hive opinions? These guys are my friends so I want to do right by them if possible.

edit to add: I've got 14 years experience in field before I left a 70+k a year job as a tech to teach.

So you aren't coming to work with me in Zimbabwe?

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

So you aren't coming to work with me in Zimbabwe?

Heh doesn't look like it.

240 day work year and no nights, weekends or holiday's. For about the same pay as the Zimbabwe job
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
They have a history there which may contain skeletons in the closets...

and you don't.

Mysetry solved.

Danny

That's probably the likely answer.  When I was a candidate to my current job I worked in sales applying for a technical position.  A machinist in the company also applied for the same position.  In the end, I got it and he didn't.  He had been an ass to a couple guys in management and had a bad attitude.  He was pissed when I was hired instead of him, and he did his best to get revenge on me and the guy that hired me.  In the end, he washed out - he quit right before they fired him because he was sandbagging on his production work and it showed up during a time study on his work area.

Watch your back, and listen to others about these two guys reactions to not getting the job.  They may act buddy-buddy to your face and be plotting behind your back.  I would steer as clear as possible from them.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Had a similar situation once.

I had 2 years in with the commission when an Area Forester position opened up.  Only two people put in for it, me and my boss.  My boss had 17 years in.

They gave the job to me.

I had a sit-down with my old boss and basically told him "sorry; hope this won't hurt our working relationship".  He said he understood, that HQ had it in for him anyway, and that he didn't hold anything against me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I agree- business as usual.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
they need to learn to deal with it or they will have issues at every job they have.

People that bitch about getting passed over always seem to think they are living in a different world than everybody else.

Which in actuality I guess they are- their own safe little cocoon.  They think people should just magically throw them cookies because they've been sitting there being a good boy.  They want rewarded for not fucking up, rather than actually bettering themselves.

I suppose there is some problem that nobody would understand that kept them from getting certified.  Like the 45,000 people that have the exact same sob story about why they couldn't ___________.  Meanwhile the guy next to them had the same or similar problem but figured out a way around it or sacrificed and worked through it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
All three of us were Mechanic Helpers.
One of the guys has worked there for over 10 years

They are there that long and are only helpers? No wonder they got passed over. Sounds like they are comfortable where they are.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Resign immediately. That guilt will eat you up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, lots of people making comments about you teaching, but completely ignoring the 14 years of experience that you had prior.

Pretty typical around here, post before reading the whole thread.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#38]
 Never feel bad for passing others on the ladder. If you decline a promotion, you'll never get another offer.
 Don't make excuses for why you got the promotion, that'll give your buddies the opportunity to say shit like " No offense but, you aren't as Great as I am". You know the "I'm the light that shines in this place" or "Without me this place would invert into a Black Hole".
 Their egos will heal and everyone will move on. Keep your head up and be proud of your victory..............just keep it to yourself.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread is full of assholes who think that seniority means a lot.

It doesn't.

My cousin was a foreman at 23. He had people under him who have spent the last 35 years not learning anything.

Fuck them.

The OP has more OTJ experience, and much more education.  No, it hasn't made him smarter.  Just better educated.  And he will reap the rewards of his hard work.

The most qualified candidates will continue to get jobs.  The OP doesn't owe anybody.  He's doing fine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#40]
All you guys bitching about hands on vs certification, the OP said he has been on the job for FIVE months.  He has proven to supervision what he is capable of doing, so . . .
unless it's a union shop . . . .Congratulations GeorgiaBII
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#41]
you have more experience is the way i read it...congrats on keeping the food on the table...buy them a nice bottle of $3 wine to drown their sorrows...oh dont forget the cheese and crackers...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I wouldn't offer to buy their lunches w/out more info.

They might see it as you lording it over them ("Hey, look at what I can buy for you guys w/ all the extra money I'll be making at the job you [think you] should have gotten!").

If they're really your friends, this shouldn't matter and they might suggest you buy their lunch ("Hey, you oughtta at least buy us lunch w/ all the extra money you'll be making now!").
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Damn, lots of people making comments about you teaching, but completely ignoring the 14 years of experience that you had prior.

"Reading" is one of those skills they teach you in "school", so I am not surprised that they have difficulty with the concept.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Reading" is one of those skills they teach you in "school", so I am not surprised that they have difficulty with the concept.

Yes, but they have time on the job - they took 8th grade twice!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Please re-read the OP's description of his qualifications: 14 years of field experience before he left to teach.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#46]
The Teacher bashers are amusing. The very fact that they can read and post is thanks to a teacher in their past.

Thanks for the input folks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Fall on your sword and let one of them have it?

No, huh?

You didn't make the selection, HR/Admin did.

Your buddies beef is with the boss.

+1
Don't say shit about it.
It'll only make it worse.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.. Buying them lunch is like slapping them in the face after they have already been pushed to the ground.  They wull have sand in their manginas for sure, its human nature, they will be pissed at you, when in reality they should be pissed at the people that decided... Congratulations on the promotion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The Teacher bashers are amusing. The very fact that they can read and post is thanks to a teacher in their past.

Thanks for the input folks.

It is pretty sad

this thread interest me.

My father sarted out as a mechanic for a chevy dealership, 15 years after that he was the service manager....10 years after that he landed a  job at a local highschool teaching auto.

Hes still making the the same base of 70k with the masters pay that they gave him for his experience, but only working 10 months of the year.

In the 8 years he has been teaching hes been to the state contest 6 years wining it 2 times going to the nationals in DC.(its a test both written and hands on, on car repair)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top