Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:07:06 AM EDT
My future brother in law and sister in law are as liberal as they come.  The rest of the in laws are pretty conservative.  (Must be a gene mutation.)  Anyway gun control came up and obviously they don't think anyone should have the right to carry a gun on the street.  I was told that if I had a gun strapped to my hip in Baltimore MD that I would be shot at simply for having the gun there.  I was also told that if people carried guns the murder rate would go up and they wouldn't feel safe walking down the street.  She is a nurse and said that the hospital has many unsecured entrances and that they would have people coming in blasting the place up all the time if that happened.  And just like typical good liberals they couldn't have a peaceful debate before my sis in law got made at the face I was making while she was saying all this crap and started yelling and shaking her finger at me.  "Don't look at me like I'm stupid Joshua blah blah blah."

I just had to vent cause it seems like no matter what facts are presented they only want to see their way.  Forget the fact that most of our neighboring states have CCW and much less problems than Baltimore MD.  AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!  How do you guys handle this crap?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]

How do you guys handle this crap?

I stopped trying to discuss the issue with anyone who disagrees. They're blinded by their self-serving logic.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I stopped trying to discuss the issue with anyone who disagrees. They're blinded by their self-serving logic.

I'm starting to lean that way cause they never want to listen and they always have the same defeated logic.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If it comes up again, just remain calm and don't stoop to thier level by getting angry.

Don't make faces when they make stupid remarks, otherwise they think you are making fun of them and loose it.

If it comes up, just ask them to discuss it debate style if you can, it might work.

Its impossible to win an argument against a fool, but you can at least try and hope for the best.

Calm even tones of voice, empathy and straight facts work best on those motivated by emotion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Baltimore MD

I was also told that if people carried guns

they wouldn't feel safe walking down the street.

Who feels safe, unarmed, walking the streets in Baltimore?

You're telling me someone believes that law abiding citizens, carrying guns, would make that shithole WORSE?

That is unpossible Sir!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Its easy, just ask them if they had to mug someone, would they chose an armed person, or a unarmed one?

And don't let them get off without a answer to it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Baltimore MD

I was also told that if people carried guns

they wouldn't feel safe walking down the street.

Who feels safe, unarmed, walking the streets in Baltimore?

You're telling me someone believes that law abiding citizens, carrying guns, would make that shithole WORSE?

That is unpossible Sir!

Tell me about it.  I am a real estate investor so I go into Baltimore pretty regularly.  I decided to drive through a neighborhood and I heard, "I'm gonna cut you white boy."  That was ever brought up in our debate and I was told I should just not go there.  Cause I don't belong and if I had a gun I would be asking for trouble.  It's not like I stopped the car, got out and started knocking on doors or anything.  I just drove through.  Libtards.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#7]
ask her what she is going to do if somebody or body(s) break into her home.

she will say call 911, ok then you say ok they are 4 or 5 minutes out.

then what will she do.....hide.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#8]

I started posting in this thread:

Most ignorant comments your "anti-gun" friends or coworkers have made???.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
brother in law AND sister in law? ya mean yer sister?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ask her what she is going to do if somebody or body(s) break into her home.

she will say call 911, ok then you say ok they are 4 or 5 minutes out.

then what will she do.....hide.

Oh here's the funny thing...  They're going to get a gun.  But you should not be able to carry it on the street.  Mostly because he isn't much of a protector.  Kind of small and skiddish.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
brother in law AND sister in law?

Yeah, it's my wifes side.  Her sister and fiancé.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
brother in law AND sister in law?

Yeah, it's my wifes side.  Her sister and fiancé.

gotya i feel for ya, arguing with liberals with facts, is like pissing out a Forrest fire.they know nothing about guns except what their ignorance and other liberals tell them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That is true.

If it had a ghey theme or something in regards to fashion or other "social programs" they are all about it.

Max
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...And just like typical good liberals they couldn't have a peaceful debate before my sis in law got made at the face I was making while she was saying all this crap and started yelling and shaking her finger at me.  "Don't look at me like I'm stupid Joshua blah blah blah."

QTF
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I doubt it's even possible for the crime rate to go up high enough for the number of people killed by criminals to surpass the number of people killed by governments in our century.

So who do trust to carry guns...  Your fellow man, who's a citizen, or you're fellow man who works for the government?

Sounds a little paranoid, but leads to our Founding Father's idea - better to have many armed citizens then a large standing army.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#16]
It all depends on the situation for me.

If someone claimed people would be coming into their work on a regular basis shooting up the place I would not even discuss it with them because they are of the crazy type of liberal and not worthy of my political insights.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I usually present as many facts as I can and try my hardest to keep all emotion out of it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

And just like typical good liberals they couldn't have a peaceful debate before my sis in law got made at the face I was making while she was saying all this crap and started yelling and shaking her finger at me.  "Don't look at me like I'm stupid Joshua blah blah blah."

Because libtards cannot control their emotions & actions, they think that others cannot as well. Thus, no one should have a gun because they think they would be prone to have an emotional shooting.    
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And just like typical good liberals they couldn't have a peaceful debate before my sis in law got made at the face I was making while she was saying all this crap and started yelling and shaking her finger at me.  "Don't look at me like I'm stupid Joshua blah blah blah."

Because libtards cannot control their emotions & actions, they think that others cannot as well. Thus, no one should have a gun because they think they would be prone to have an emotional shooting.    

Raging Against Self Defense: A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Good advice on this page.

Know your facts.  The more facts, backed with statistics (liberals LOVE statistics, because the facts never back them up) the better.  For every point they present, have a counterpoint ready.

Don't lose your cool.  Keeping an even temper REALLY pisses them off.  Smile CONSTANTLY, like you are talking to a retard (which, you are).

Be prepared with documentation.  Websites are good, books are better.  Find the once-in-a-lifetime pro-gun article from a libtarb publication for the best impact.

Just remember, have fun with it!  

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Stay calm.  Grab a pen and paper and takes notes of what they say so that you can nail them when they start contradicting themselves (usually only takes a few minutes).  

If you can stay calm and smile the whole time, they will just get more worked up.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't bother arguing with them.  Liberalism is a mental disease and you can't win.  Facts mean nothing to libtards...its all about "feelings".  Common sense means absolutely squat to them as well.

Give it up and move on...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My future brother in law and sister in law are as liberal as they come.  The rest of the in laws are pretty conservative.  (Must be a gene mutation.)  Anyway gun control came up and obviously they don't think anyone should have the right to carry a gun on the street.  I was told that if I had a gun strapped to my hip in Baltimore MD that I would be shot at simply for having the gun there.  I was also told that if people carried guns the murder rate would go up and they wouldn't feel safe walking down the street.  She is a nurse and said that the hospital has many unsecured entrances and that they would have people coming in blasting the place up all the time if that happened.  And just like typical good liberals they couldn't have a peaceful debate before my sis in law got made at the face I was making while she was saying all this crap and started yelling and shaking her finger at me.  "Don't look at me like I'm stupid Joshua blah blah blah."

I just had to vent cause it seems like no matter what facts are presented they only want to see their way.  Forget the fact that most of our neighboring states have CCW and much less problems than Baltimore MD.  AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!  How do you guys handle this crap?

I point out that $20 and a lack of a felony conviction in our state gets you a CCW.
I also point out that studies have been done that prove crime rates drop after CCW is offered, not rise.
If I am still not getting through I tell them to look it up, then change the subject.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Should have drawn down on the bitch
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Oh here's the funny thing...  They're going to get a gun.  But you should not be able to carry it on the street.  Mostly because he isn't much of a protector.  Kind of small and skiddish.

Josh that is your golden opportunity.  Offer to take him to the range for some "proper safety lessons & target practice".   Work your way up from .22 in rifle and handgun.

Introduce him to an AR15.

Work on him in a mature & self assured manner & you may convert one more guy over to the right way to think.  You may even be able to restore a portion of his man card
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#26]
these people are crazy.  there is no talking to them.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If it comes up again, just remain calm and don't stoop to thier level by getting angry.

Don't make faces when they make stupid remarks, otherwise they think you are making fun of them and loose it.

If it comes up, just ask them to discuss it debate style if you can, it might work.

Its impossible to win an argument against a fool, but you can at least try and hope for the best.

Calm even tones of voice, empathy and straight facts work best on those motivated by emotion.
That is sound advice.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Well , my kids like guns (oldest was in the Corps) and old Dad lives with me and every ounce in a while he comes home with a new pistol , I guess were not the norm.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#29]
It's tough. Sheeple are pretty fuggin' stupid.

Best advice I can give, is to study, study and study some more.

The truth about gun violence and self protection is solidly on your side. You just need to be able to accurately quote sources, like the FBI crime stats, for example...

Overwhelm them with irrefutable information until they just can't argue against it anymore.

Follow this with a trip to the range for a little bit of familiarization with the "evil" objects

If all else fails then DRAW DOWN and tell them to agree with you or you'll shoot them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#30]
You're more likely to be a victim of a violent crime by someone you know (friends, family, coworkers, etc) than by strangers.

If your friends and family dont like guns, good for you!   That means they're less of a threat when they go crazy and try to kill/rape/assault you!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Josh that is your golden opportunity.  Offer to take him to the range for some "proper safety lessons & target practice".   Work your way up from .22 in rifle and handgun.

Introduce him to an AR15.

Work on him in a mature & self assured manner & you may convert one more guy over to the right way to think.  You may even be able to restore a portion of his man card

I've taken him skeet shooting and pistol shooting.  He wants a shotgun for skeet and a pistol for self defense.  He still does not think people should carry.  It is the darndest thing.  It has to be a mental disorder.  Or like the previous link someone posted that talked about projection.  What he really is really saying is he would probably go nuts and kill people over a parking space.  So no one else should have the ability to carry.  

The other thing that's hard about this guy is I just flat don't like him.  I try to talk civil with him and be his friend but I just can't.  He grates my nerves.  He's a little weenie.  During this debate when sis in law and I started going at it he got up and left the room and watched from in there.  He was too afraid to stay around the debate because I have no problem coming back at them when they're stupid.  I keep trying to be his friend so there is some civility and peace in the family.  They're just going to be those family members I hate visiting and seeing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:35:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

"I'm sorry, [name], but I keep hearing you talk and I just can't help it."
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#33]
You might also mention to Nurse Sis-N-Law that the 15000 murders this country sees every year pales in comparison to the 60000 to 120000 (depending on whose stats) people who die in hospitals every year due to doctor/staff boo-boos...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#34]
At least they're going to get a gun.  If my sister would allow one in her house, I'd GIVE her one tomorrow.

I don't really debate with her, I'll talk about it in context.  My current goal is merely to get her to understand that they are simply tools, and not inherently evil.  I think debating the issue would only help polarize her opinion.

Jeff
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I try not to argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.......................I'm pretty sure that's some on here's sig line.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:

Draw down?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is sound advice.

+1
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I hate MD.

Well Baltimore the rest of the state is decent but too many welfare so called do gooders in Baltimore.

Give Baltimore to Jersey then you would have another conservative state .
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Just ask why, if gun control works, DC and Baltimore have such high murder rates, while overall crime rates declined in Florida after it became a shall issue state.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#41]
You should just let your shirttail creep up over ther grip of your gun.  

You ARE wearing your gun right now, RIGHT??!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Just ask them a few  questions.

3)  Ask them why the violent crime rates are lower in areas that allow CCW vs areas that do not?

I think I'd steer clear of this one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

good article. but,  now im late for work. damnit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#44]

"Don't look at me like I'm stupid Joshua blah blah blah."

Well, if the shoe fits...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My experience with rabid anti-gun types confirms to me that they cannot control themselves and therefore they assume that nobody else has self control.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#46]
You should have grabbed her by the back of the paints and threw her out the back door
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#47]
When I asked why someone who normally fallows the law would suddenly go ape and kill people when he gets a CCW he said convenience.  That was the first time I'd ever heard that one.  Still crap though.

I've come to the conclusion that there is probably nothing that can be done for them except to have life bite them in the butt.  The statement, "but it only takes one" tells me that they aren't even willing to give anything a try if it costs one life.  It is a liberal ideology.  I guess I should be glad we made the law against killing people.  Otherwise it would have cost at least one life before they fixed it.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
You should just let your shirttail creep up over ther grip of your gun.  

You ARE wearing your gun right now, RIGHT??!

No CCW for people in MD unless you have an in with someone up high.  Which I don't.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

"Don't look at me like I'm stupid Joshua blah blah blah."

Well, if the shoe fits...

Actually I replied that NOW she looks stupid right after she said that.  Probably should have held that one in but I can't stand her so it flew out.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You should have grabbed her by the back of the paints and threw her out the back door

That would have been a riot since she still lives with her parents and it was their house.  Still would have been funny.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top