Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2007 9:36:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah and the CO's of the ships are usuallsy CWO's. A lot of BM's from the Coast Guard get out and lateral over to the Army, get an insta-promotion and take command. Pretty cool if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The army has a navy and an air force, and the navy has an army and two air forces.  For some reason the air force only has an air force.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to see them all the time in bahrain.

I too was shocked the first time I saw them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The army has a navy and an air force, and the navy has an army and two air forces.  For some reason the air force only has an air force.

We have a Navy too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Now does the Army still practice beach landings like they did back in the day?

Or is that just the USMC now?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

We had landing craft in Panama....
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I used to see them all the time in bahrain.

I too was shocked the first time I saw them.

That's where I used to see them too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

Where they used in the same manner as the European theater and Pacific or just to get shit ashore on a safe beach.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

Where they used in the same manner as the European theater and Pacific or just to get shit ashore on a safe beach.
They had the front drop ramps and they were used for moving trucks.engineer equipment up and down the canal...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Air Force has land combat assets (SF, Special Tactics, SOF) and there are Air Force Munition Ships.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a Navy too.

USAF might not have an army yet, but they're working on it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a Navy too.

what would you classify SP's, PJ's and FAC's?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

We actually have TRAINS, too. Yup. They're painted in USAF colors and haul supplies and equipment across the US.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

SP's and FAC's pretty much stay on the ground, so they'd be army, right?    Pj's do weird shit, in the air, ground, water...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#17]
IIRC, there were more army boats in Vietnam than Navy boats.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a Navy too.

At least two of those are very specific missions.  I would argue the cops are fairly mission specific as well.  What I am talking about is the training of large numbers of everyday airmen for combat roles.  

Pesonally, I think PJ's are some of the toughest guys alive.  I also know of some special forces types that are Air Force but I don't consider them "army" either.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a Navy too.

At least two of those are very specific missions.  I would argue the cops are fairly mission specific as well.  What I am talking about is the training of large numbers of everyday airmen for combat roles.  

Pesonally, I think PJ's are some of the toughest guys alive.  I also know of some special forces types that are Air Force but I don't consider them "army" either.

Their are units to take and hold airfields.  There are many units to defend airfields.  There are units to direct air stirkes.  There are units to recover equipment/personnel.

Bit more than just cops and PJ's.

Don't forget EOD, Red Horse, Combat Weather, Comms and more.  Lots of specialities in the USAF have a secondary ground combat function.  Typically it is simply to defend themselves, but there is a push from some in the SF community to be more proactive about the ABGD mission like controling the entire AO surounding an airbase with patrols, outposts etc and not just sit inside the wire all the time and only venture out with convoys.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We actually have TRAINS, too. Yup. They're painted in USAF colors and haul supplies and equipment across the US.

Any pics? That sounds pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So does the Army. You can still enlist as a train engineer in the Reserves. Some have even been to Iraq to help with the Iraqi rail system.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to work at a ship yard in Charleston and worked on an Army ship it was a dredge
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I used to work at a ship yard in Charleston and worked on an Army ship it was a dredge

I've probably been on it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
For awhile now:

WW II U.S. Naval Craft Information

Total Army vessels minus pontons- 111,006

Total Navy vessels excluding tracked amphibious vehicles- 74,708

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#25]
The air force has commandos that are sometimes integrated in with ground units and special forces type stuff.  My dad (air force doctor) says they are some pretty tough guys.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Own page 2 of my own thread

Now does the army still practice the clasical / USMC type beach landing or do they jsut use it for equipment like they did in Panama?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Army Ship
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#28]
My brother did 4 years in the Army as a watercraft operator, aka "Army Sailor".  He loved it.  Just for the irony of it I got a sticker from him that says "Sail Army" with the transportation command's ship's wheel on it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Air Force has their Special Ops. There is a large command about 40 miles from me.
Also, the Air Force Combat Controlers defend improv. air strips among their other duties.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:26:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've probably been on it.

i think it was called the McFarlen or somthing like that
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:20:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
www.onr.navy.mil/media/releases/image_gallery/images/020802-N-8894M-003.jpg

Army Ship

My wife got to ride on that one shortly after it got to Ft. Eustis.  It was a smooth ride she said.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Of course, they only get stationed at Hawaii, Fort Lewis, and Fort Eustis.  Hardship tours, all.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#33]
 They have their own railroad rolling stock, too.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 - I took a few rides to Ft. Sherman
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Now does the army still practice the clasical / USMC type beach landing or do they jsut use it for equipment like they did in Panama?

When I first enlisted back in the early 1990's, I spent a year with a reserve transportation unit at Ft. Eustis.  Aside from the reverse racism, they actually did some pretty cool things.  The mission was known as LOTS (logistics over the shore).  They would come in to a beach and set up to offload ships using hovercraft, boats, and amphibious vehicles.  Cargo ships would anchor offshore, and they would lighter the cargo over the beach to a transportation point.  

These are some of the things they used (not my pictures):  

LARC:

"Mike boat" - LCM 8

Hovercraft - LACV 30

See that LARC?  It's a big-ass vehicle, right?  The dumbshits at my unit were transporting a couple of them on barges in the James River.  They got to their destination only to look at the barge, do a count, and realize one was missing.  It had rolled off the barge and sunk somewhere, but they had never noticed.  It was finally found, but wasn't salvageable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#36]
The Army has always been appropriately focused on logistics.
We plan ahead, which is why we're tasked with supporting and even replacing the failed USMC logistics model.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#37]
The Army needs its own nuke ballistic missle subs, that would be cool
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#38]
The Air Force does operate at least one ship.  Maybe more.   I can't recall the details.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I first enlisted back in the early 1990's, I spent a year with a reserve transportation unit at Ft. Eustis.  Aside from the reverse racism, they actually did some pretty cool things.  The mission was known as LOTS (logistics over the shore).  They would come in to a beach and set up to offload ships using hovercraft, boats, and amphibious vehicles.  Cargo ships would anchor offshore, and they would lighter the cargo over the beach to a transportation point.  

These are some of the things they used (not my pictures):  

LARC:
img132.imageshack.us/img132/5743/larc60image100tz8.jpg

"Mike boat" - LCM 8
img131.imageshack.us/img131/66/lcm83ob5.jpg

Hovercraft - LACV 30
img132.imageshack.us/img132/9715/lacv30cw9.jpg

See that LARC?  It's a big-ass vehicle, right?  The dumbshits at my unit were transporting a couple of them on barges in the James River.  They got to their destination only to look at the barge, do a count, and realize one was missing.  It had rolled off the barge and sunk somewhere, but they had never noticed.  It was finally found, but wasn't salvageable.

How the hell do you miss something that big rolling of the barg and making a splash
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How the hell do you miss something that big rolling of the barg and making a splash

That was one of the big questions during the investigation.  Drinking or screwing was the likely answer, but nothing could be proven.  

I've got a coffee mug somewhere that has a drawing of an upside down LARC under the water, and it says "Raiders of the Lost LARC".
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was one of the big questions during the investigation.  Drinking or screwing was the likely answer, but nothing could be proven.  

I've got a coffee mug somewhere that has a drawing of an upside down LARC under the water, and it says "Raiders of the Lost LARC".

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#42]
damn, I didnt know that and its great for them to have one incase the navy is to busy lurking some feamles on the shore :)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#43]
which just goes to show, that for anyone considering military service, there is always a way to find your niche. I like it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a Navy too.

And a deep water port too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Didn't you see Apocalypse Now? IIRC those weren't Navy guys on that boat.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#46]

Wrong.

They were Navy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#47]
I did but I did not know that had things other than brown water boats.

I did learn to never get off the boat though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Wrong.

They were Navy.

Realy I would have sworn they where army.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#49]
In april of 1991 my unit (Marines) boarded an Army ship to transport our vehicles back south after DS. This ugly fat chick was cooking eggs and bacon and bisquits. She was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. It had been 100 days since my last hot meal.
It was the best meal of my life.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Wrong.
They were Navy.

Woops.... you're right. My bad.
Apocalypse Wiki

...Willard begins his trip up the fictional Nung River on the PBR (Patrol Boat, River) Erebus, with an eclectic crew composed of by-the-book Chief Phillips, a Navy boat commander...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top