Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 3:37:35 PM EDT
I was watching Videodrome on tv a while ago and was marveling at Cronenberg's f/x. Then I started thinking of all the great horror and sci-fi movies that were made around that time and really miss those movies. Is there an '80's movie channel anywhere? If there isn't,there damn well should be! Todays movies are just so bland in the f/x department. Back then the f/x guys were true artists,now the only thing you need to be is a computer programmer! Anybody else miss these great movies?

P.S.

I also miss all of those great Cold War thrillers where the nukes are blasted and the people are left to fend for themselves.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
 Yeah... CG is so sterile..... the oldies are better!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree. Do you remember Evil Dead,and Live Evil? Those flicks gave me nightmares!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the sfx in Return of the Jedi were at the maximum necessary level for a sci fi movie.  The computer modeling of the death star II, the look of the ships traveling through space, the look of the power station on Endor, the speeder battle, and the look of the final battle between luke and vadar were 10/10.  I thought those were all well done and looked as good as need be for a sci fi film.  Now everything is CGI'd to death and is obviously fake looking.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I got big love for the way Blade Runner was done..but then I thought Transformers was awesome too
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The movie Tron was the first I recall.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
These effects aren't very special huh huh huh  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#7]
CGI is fantastic.Much better than the old techniques. However, too many films go way too far with the CGI. Used to be that the FX would support the film. Now the FX is the reason for the film.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
An American Werewolf in London & John Carpenter's The Thing look better than most special effects in todays movies.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
An American Werewolf in London & John Carpenter's The Thing look better than most special effects in todays movies.

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I got big love for the way Blade Runner was done..but then I thought Transformers was awesome too

Aahhhh,Bladerunner... One of my all-time faves! I never returned an un-edited vhs tape back in the '80's. It was the origional with the narration. I lost a few years back while moving. Does anyone know where to find one?(VHS or DVD)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top