Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/30/2007 4:18:30 PM EDT
But still on Leave for threats against his life.

Its a sad world when cowards resort to death threats over an incident that left nobody permanently injured.

Dan

KSL story
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I told you he would be cleared and told to work on his tactics and communication

he Utah Highway Patrol has completed its investigation into a Taser incident near Vernal that been seen more than a million times on YouTube, and the decision is the trooper acted reasonably.

At a news conference today, investigators with the Utah Highway Patrol said they broke this case down into several categories as they did their internal review.

First, they announced there was a breakdown in communication. UHP investigators feel the officer who dealt with Jared Massey in this incident did not communicate well enough with Massey when he giving him the speeding ticket.

The second area they went into was the investigative process. They say there was a delay in reporting the incident. The Department of Public Safety said they did not find out about it until three days after it happened, about the same time it was posted on YouTube.

The most important area UHP officials talked about today was the use of the Taser. They said they feel that using it was justified and reasonable because when an officer is out there he or she has only a split second to make a decision on the use of force. In this incident they feel that use of force was justified because Massey had turned his back and looked like he was reaching into his pocket.

Officials say they held the news conference today because they are very concerned and want the public to feel safe with troopers out there. "We are worried about public confidence, and that maybe the confidence with the Highway Patrol, with the Department of Public Safety and law enforcement in general was damaged here, and so we hope to restore that confidence," explained Scott Duncan, commissioner of the Utah Department of Public Safety.

Meanwhile, Trooper Jon Gardner is still on leave, primarily to keep him safe. He's received numerous anonymous threats.

Right now, UHP doesn't know what the consequences for him are going to be because this is still under investigation. Officials are, however, turning the investigation over to the Utah Attorney General's Office to see if there was any criminal wrongdoing in the case
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
w00t! Good on ya Trooper!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Both parties from that encounter have the same problem.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Good.  I'm glad.  That guy was a fucking dick and got what he deserved.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Meanwhile, Trooper Jon Gardner is still on leave, primarily to keep him safe. He's received numerous anonymous threats.

Hey, he is one of those priviliged citizens that can carry everywhere we can't.  Put him back on the street.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I had no doubt he would be cleared, good deal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Good, that guy was being a freaking dick.  Hope the loser learned to respect others.  From the video he needs to teach his wife to listen too.

UHP:  "GET BACK IN THE CAR!!!!!"
Dumb wife:  "NO, I WON'T!"

Lucky she didn't get tased as well, or shot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Hey, he is one of those priviliged citizens that can carry everywhere we can't.  Put him back on the street.

I'm willing to bet they won't let him.  

Last thing I need to do is attend his funeral.

I can't carry "Everywhere" you can't.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Idiot driver got what he deserved.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Actually, we can carry pretty much everywhere he can.  Only place off limits to us is the secured part of the airport, and federal building.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]
sorry, but the man should be removed from the force.

His communication skills suck and he does not need to be given lessons, he needs to be let go.  When your job has such a large effect on lives, fuckups should be taken much more seriously.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm willing to bet they won't let him.  

Last thing I need to do is attend his funeral.

I can't carry "Everywhere" you can't.

If you can carry in an Applebees in Georgia you sure got a head start though.

I meant it purely as an observation though and it came out wrong.  If the guy wouldn't have put his hand towards his pocket I would have felt differently about the whole thing but it looked pretty straight-forward when viewed objectively.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
+1
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

His communication skills suck and he does not need to be given lessons, he needs to be let go.  When your job has such a large effect on lives, fuckups should be taken much more seriously.

Is that your personal or professional opinion? What do you base you opinion on?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
That UHP is a PRICK nonetheless, death threats from Utahans yeah right...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

looks like the majority, even on here, disagree with you.  Training can fix simple faults.  Regardless of his poor attitude, the suspect needed to comply.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Article says Att. General will investigate to see if any criminal wrongdoing accured.

Roy
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that your personal or professional opinion? What do you base you opinion on?

Its a personal opinion from a tax payer.  While I don't hold the officer at fault for the situation, the results could have been a whole lot more peaceful had the officer actually explained the legal situation to driver.

To me, an officers job is extremely important.  It requires being both an enforcer and a diplomat.  They should serve with the communities interest in mind, as they should be part of it.  An officer should interact with people, be friendly and should give an effort to resolve situations peacefully (which this officer did not)

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

looks like the majority, even on here, disagree with you.  Training can fix simple faults.  Regardless of his poor attitude, the suspect needed to comply.

I never argued in favor of the suspect, I just think the officer should be let go.  Training will not fix the officer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since the "majority" see's it your way makes the kid deserve it and the trooper right ? The "majority" (in fact all) of the jurors on the O.J. case found him not guilty of murdering Nicole, but the other "majority" (the rest of the country) knew he did it. That UHP is a jackass, if he knew (and he knew) he was going to TAZE him bro, he should have got him on the opposite side of his car on that busy highway and then done it.Why do I say he knew he was going to do it? He had a "I am the BOSS and you are nobody" attitude from the start. If that UHP had any brains, he would have had that driver on the other side of traffic discussing it at the very least, how many videos have you seen where state troopers are hit by cars on traffic stops or nearly so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXNE8TW9t9Y..the genius trooper decided to Taze him bro, on the wrong side period, what if the kid fell out into oncoming traffic and got ran over, do you think the trooper would be walking away from it then ??
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never argued in favor of the suspect, I just think the officer should be let go.  Training will not fix the officer.

Thats crap!

He's been a Trooper for 14 years.  If this video had chronicled all of those years I may agree, but we have no idea if, while inexcusable, he was having a bad day.

I know a deputy that went to high school with the guy and works in the same county, he was on his 8th day of work without a day off.

I have bad days and while they never turn into that, I can get pretty impatient with people.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since the "majority" see's it your way makes the kid deserve it and the trooper right ? The "majority" (in fact all) of the jurors on the O.J. case found him not guilty of murdering Nicole, but the other "majority" (the rest of the country) knew he did it. That UHP is a jackass, if he knew (and he knew) he was going to TAZE him bro, he should have got him on the opposite side of his car on that busy highway and then done it.Why do I say he knew he was going to do it? He had a "I am the BOSS and you are nobody" attitude from the start. If that UHP had any brains, he would have had that driver on the other side of traffic discussing it at the very least, how many videos have you seen where state troopers are hit by cars on traffic stops or nearly so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXNE8TW9t9Y..the genius trooper decided to Taze him bro, on the wrong side period, what if the kid fell out into oncoming traffic and got ran over, do you think the trooper would be walking away from it then ??

Wow, a little out there with that one.

Double homicide vs. Tasing.

And now you're "what ifing" the damn situation.

I don't work in what ifs.

Give me an appropriate scenario and maybe i'll cater to you.

What if the kid had pulled out a gun and shot the trooper?

What if the wife had come around the side of the Durango with a Boston Cream Pie and offered the trooper a slice?

What if aliens probed him anally.

Blah.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see how that would go.........

"Sir, please step to the shoulder so I can Tase you bro"

"Whats wrong with you (Puts hand in pocket)?"

"Bro, get over to the shoulder, I need to Tase you?"

"What's wrong with you?"

And so on and so forth, like the song that never ends.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#26]
doubletap
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#27]
edited ~ 82nd
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see how that would go.........

"Sir, please step to the shoulder so I can Tase you bro"

"Whats wrong with you (Puts hand in pocket)?"

"Bro, get over to the shoulder, I need to Tase you?"

"What's wrong with you?"

And so on and so forth, like the song that never ends.
"Sir, please step to the shoulder so WE CAN DISCUSS THIS WITHOUT GETTING RAN OVER
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#29]
You defend the trooper all you want, I bet $100 bucks Dozens of the people he has written up, think he was a JERK to them and a Prick for no reason, a sign nobody wants to see, he is a problem employee.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#30]
That guy needs some training in communication.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats crap!

He's been a Trooper for 14 years.  If this video had chronicled all of those years I may agree, but we have no idea if, while inexcusable, he was having a bad day.

I know a deputy that went to high school with the guy and works in the same county, he was on his 8th day of work without a day off.

I have bad days and while they never turn into that, I can get pretty impatient with people.

If you ever get impatient like that UT officer did then you simply should not be a LEO

Your not flipping burgers at McDonalds or stocking shelves at wal-mart, how you act on the job has very permanent effects on the individuals you encounter.  When a burger flipper screws up the customer just has to reorder, if a LEO fucks up then lives can be ruined.  If you can not be a professional, then do not take the job of a professional.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a sad world when cowards resort to death threats over an incident that left nobody permanently injured.

Dan

KSL story

That's a bunch of crap.

True, it's a cowardly act to make an anonymous threat, but that POS trooper deserves a good ass-kicking by a free citizen.

I volunteer 3 minutes of my own time and a baseball bat in a locked room with that little-man, pansy, government employee.....

And the driver in that stop deserves more than a bitch-slap for not taking the easy way out and  adding to the mix....dumbass....

Just my opinion....

Guess what?  you just made an anonymous threat against the guy..  Just like the jackasses on YouTube did.  Exactly what YOU call a "cowardly act"

It's amazing how brave cowards get on the internet.

Anyone want to place bets how many GD posters also posted comments on YouTube?   No COC there. I'm sure they told us how they REALLY felt.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dan

KSL story

That's a bunch of crap.

True, it's a cowardly act to make an anonymous threat, but that POS trooper deserves a good ass-kicking by a free citizen.

I volunteer 3 minutes of my own time and a baseball bat in a locked room with that little-man, pansy, government employee.....

And the driver in that stop deserves more than a bitch-slap for not taking the easy way out and  adding to the mix....dumbass....

Just my opinion....

I'd pay for video of that.  It would be funny to watch Telecaster get his ass handed to him.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Just wondering, if he is such a little-man pansy, why do you need a bat?  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#35]
No back-up,no mace, no pistol, no Taze me Bro Device? Don't be so sure
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like a split decision. Waiting for the rest of the story..
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dan

KSL story

That's a bunch of crap.

Just my opinion....

. Double tap

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dan

KSL story

That's a bunch of crap.

Just my opinion....

Guess what?  you just made an anonymous threat against the guy..  Just like the jackasses on YouTube did.  Exactly what YOU call a "cowardly act"

It's amazing how brave cowards get on the internet.

Anyone want to place bets how many GD posters also posted comments on YouTube?   No COC there. I'm sure they told us how they REALLY felt.

If he happens to drive through my county and commit a violation and then choose to disobey lawful commands, I or any of my coworkers can hook him up with his dream.....

I don't think it will go 3min.... however

ETA: Its not that anonymous..

I happen to have some in laws that are UHP.... telecaster If you would like to discuss this in detail that can be arranged
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey,

I think there's a disconnect between the cops and civvies on this incident.

All the cops are like "good taze" and the civvies are like "quick on the trigger."

All the trooper had to be was be professional.

"Okay, hop out of the car."

WTF is that?

Even if he wanted to be casual about it all he had to add was FOUR words to that sentence  and all this would be moot:

"Okay, hop out of the car you are under arrest."

Instead you get a confused civvie thinking the cop has invited him to show him the sign that they were just talking about seconds before..

Cop should have told him what the consequences of not signing the ticket is and used professional language:

"Sir, please step out of the vehicle.  You are under arrest."

Instead of sighing and harrumphing.

I'm glad the investigation said:

UHP investigators feel the officer who dealt with Jared Massey in this incident did not communicate well enough with Massey when he giving him the speeding ticket.

Kevin "Damn straight."
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hey,

I think there's a disconnect between the cops and civvies on this incident.

All the cops are like "good taze" and the civvies are like "quick on the trigger."

All the trooper had to be was be professional.

"Okay, hop out of the car."

WTF is that?

Even if he wanted to be casual about it all he had to add was FOUR words to that sentence  and all this would be moot:

"Okay, hop out of the car you are under arrest."

Instead you get a confused civvie thinking the cop has invited him to show him the sign that they were just talking about seconds before..

Cop should have told him what the consequences of not signing the ticket is and used professional language:

"Sir, please step out of the vehicle.  You are under arrest."

Instead of sighing and harrumphing.

I'm glad the investigation said:

UHP investigators feel the officer who dealt with Jared Massey in this incident did not communicate well enough with Massey when he giving him the speeding ticket.

Kevin "Damn straight."

UHP guy needed to communicate better in this instance.  Now if he was having a bad day or if this is symptomatic of a larger attitude problem is anyone's guess.  However, the LAST thing you want to do as an LEO is tell someone they are under arrest while they are still seated behind the wheel of their 4000 lb missle.

Gary "Equally damn straight"
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#41]
The "You are under arrest" only occurs after the suspect is actually detained and under control of the officer.  Officers that announce a suspect is under arrest before the suspect is actually detained, usually find the suspect running or driving away.

The officer did nothing wrong.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dan

KSL story

That's a bunch of crap.

Just my opinion....

Bringing a bat to a gun fight is surely a loss.... have you not learned anything on ARFCOM??

Cops carrying guns....... not rocket science.

But a rocket scientist wouldn't be telling us how he wants to commit a violent felony against a government official.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I agree the cop's manner might have been a bit better, but anytime an LEO has to tell you THREE TIMES to put your hands behind your back, and you continue to ignore him,
for the sake of law and order, you need to go down. That's the bottom line.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#44]
The ARFCOM peanut gallery wrong once again? Color me surprised.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

He didn't fuck up though. He did just fine.
You may not like it but that matters not.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Its a personal opinion from a tax payer.  While I don't hold the officer at fault for the situation, the results could have been a whole lot more peaceful had the officer actually explained the legal situation to driver.

To me, an officers job is extremely important.  It requires being both an enforcer and a diplomat.  They should serve with the communities interest in mind, as they should be part of it.  An officer should interact with people, be friendly and should give an effort to resolve situations peacefully (which this officer did not)

Well here is the opinion of another tax payer. I do not want the Officer to waste a bunch of time pussy footing around when he could be arresting assholes who are breaking the law and resisting arrest.

Here is another one of my tax paying opinions. The situation could have been completely peaceful if the idiot driver would have simply signed the citation.

OK one more of my tax paying opinions. Officers should serve with the communities interest in mind.  Not just the idiot driver but all the community.  Driver was speeding.  Write his ass a citation and move one to the next violator. Oh wait, he is refusing to be released.  What's that? He is resisting arrest. OK take him to jail using that degree of force necessary.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I understood him perfectly the first time I saw the video.
Idiot driver needs some listening/comprehension training.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understood him perfectly the first time I saw the video.
Idiot driver needs some listening/comprehension training.

Yeap.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I was surprised by how negligent the cop was.  When he told the guy to get out of the car, he actually turned his back on him.  The guy could have popped him.  And the cop didnt't secure the prisoner before going and talking to the girl.  The cop didn't realize that the guy was behind him until the guy was practically standing on him.

I wasn't clear if he tazed the guy a second time and what the cirumstances were there.  Other than that, the cop's actions seemed technically proper.  He had a lawful power to arrest in those circumstances, and tazering is preferable to trying to physically subdue the guy.  The guy in the car was a definate moron.

The cop could have done a much better job of explaining why the moron should sign the ticket, and that it was not an admission of guilt.  I didn't hear any explanation of that.  The cop just told him to sign and when the guy refused he told him to get out of the car.  The guy clearly did not know that the consequence was arrest, because he thought they were going to look at signs.  Instead, the copy immediately pulled the tazer and told the guy to get on the ground.  He assumed that every joe blow knows how the law works.  Most people do not write tickets for a living and know all the procedures, unlike our valiant highway patrolmen.

I don't think the cop broke the law, but he looks pretty sloppy, negligent and horrible at communicating.  If I were his supervisor, I'd tell him to start looking for another job.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
"Sir, please step to the shoulder so WE CAN DISCUSS THIS WITHOUT GETTING RAN OVER

"Discussion" was over the instant the trooper told the driver to get out of the car - it was only a matter of what it was going to take to cuff the driver.  Given the entire stop, I don't think Ghandi(sp?) would have talked the driver into signing the cite/posting bail.

Brian
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top