Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2007 2:36:14 PM EDT
here we go.  neighbors dogs bark all the damn time.  bark loudly anytime i am in the back yard.  they crash into the fence and knock the cedar boards loose and then come into the yard.  i have replaced the boards a couple times and screw them in with deck screws.  this is the first time they have dug under the fence.  it's a nice little hole about the size of a trashcan lid and about 1' deep.  i have sunk two 2x4s in the middle of the hole and plan to hose the area down with pepper spray so the dogs don't dig around it.  will backfill with lava rock because i have a bunch to spare.

any suggestions if they dig another hole someplace else?  i may end up getting some welded wire fence to lay on the ground to keep them out.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
invite burley over
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
invite burley over

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
the welded wire fence is a good idea. I used a bunch of old concrete patio blocks (16" square) along the fence to keep my dog from digging under, worked great.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I had that same problem for a short time. How long were the deck screws that you used? My old neighbors dogs kept tearing up the fence and they would not fix it so I had to. I just used screws that were a half an inch too long. I also made sure that they were down low on all boards. I spent about an hour "reinforcing" the fence. Problem solved!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Let them dig under then shoot them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
invite burley over
Ya beat me to it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
invite burley over

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Go buy an electric fence charger, youre problem will be fixed with a couple hours later and a couple weeks of having an unsightly electric fence run around the bottom of your property. AFter they get zapped a few times you can take it away and they will never touch the fence again anyway.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
invite burley over

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=644573
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Had the same problem once.

When the neighbors were gone fishing for the weekend on the Kenai Peninsula, I spent an entire weekend digging a foot-deep trench along the perimeter of the fence. Next I went to the recycling center and did some dumpster diving. I came home with a S-10 pickup bed full of bottles. Broke the bottles in the trench as i was filling it up.

Somehow after that first attempt to dig under the fence, the neighbor's dogs lost interest.

Then there was the time when I was putting up new cedar siding and the neighbor's dog trotted into the yard, lifted his leg and pissed on my pallet of cedar siding. I swung around, pulled back the nose safety on the nail gun and plastered that nasty little black lab with six or eight bullets nails. The neighbor came by my house pissed because his dog had a nail stuck in it's hindquarters. I said it couldn't have been me because I've only been siding in my back yard and his dog NEVER comes in our yard. He showed me the nail (yes, it was mine, but it was the kind I had run out of earlier in the morning. I pulled a stick from my nailer and showed him the difference). He left satisfied with that explanation. Then again this was the same idiot that painted his house John Deere green with John Deere yellow trim. That's okay, though. It covered up the light purple with dark blue trim.

Edit: typo.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I go to Lowes and get 3/8 inch, two foot long rebar and just pound that in to the ground.  Space 'em about every 6 inches or so.

But I do like the too-long decking screws, though.

I'd also be having a chat with the neighbors.  Then a chat with the Sheriff (if the neighbors don't listen).
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I go to Lowes and get 3/8 inch, two foot long rebar and just pound that in to the ground.  Space 'em about every 6 inches or so.

I did that along with landsape timbers topping the rebar, the dogs will give up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Had the same problem once.

When the neighbors were gone fishing for the weekend on the Kenai Peninsula, I spent an entire weekend digging a foot-deep trench along the perimeter of the fence. Next I went to the recycling center and did some dumpster diving. I came home with a S-10 pickup bed full of bottles. Broke the bottles in the trench as i was filling it up.

Somehow after that first attempt to dig under the fence, the neighbor's dogs lost interest.

Then there was the time when I was putting up new cedar siding and the neighbor's dog trotted into the yard, lifted his leg and pissed on my pallet of cedar siding. I swung around, pulled back the nose safety on the nail gun and plastered that nasty little black lab with six or eight bullets nails. The neighbor came by my house pissed because his dog had a nail stuck in it's hindquarters. I said it couldn't have been me because I've only been siding in my back yard and his dog NEVER comes in our yard. He showed me the nail (yes, it was mine, but it was the kind I had run out of earlier in the morning. I pulled a stick from my nailer and showed him the difference). He left satisfied with that explanation. Then again this was the same idiot that painted his house John Deere green with John Deere yellow trim. That's okay, though. It covered up the light purple with dark blue trim.

Edit: typo.

I like the broken glass solution. Cheap and simple.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
invite burley over

that was damn funny
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
invite burley over

Yep, that'll work...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Dump dog turds in the holes, if you have some. They usually won't dig them any deeper after that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Are you inside the city limits?  My answer will vary depending upon your answer.  

i am.  i don't want to hurt the dogs.  i just want to relax in my backyard without having to fix my property because of someone else's animals.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Let them dig under then shoot them.

Yeah, ask that guy (burley) who posted "I shot my grandmas dog"

get his dumbass (burley) to come over and aim 10' in front of it so it ricochets into your neighbors dogs heads just like he did his grandmas dog.

Not sure what you should do, i live in the country and don't have fences that dogs dig under

ETA to insert dumbasses name
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
here we go.  neighbors dogs bark all the damn time.  bark loudly anytime i am in the back yard.  they crash into the fence and knock the cedar boards loose and then come into the yard.  i have replaced the boards a couple times and screw them in with deck screws.  this is the first time they have dug under the fence.  it's a nice little hole about the size of a trashcan lid and about 1' deep.  i have sunk two 2x4s in the middle of the hole and plan to hose the area down with pepper spray so the dogs don't dig around it.  will backfill with lava rock because i have a bunch to spare.

any suggestions if they dig another hole someplace else?  i may end up getting some welded wire fence to lay on the ground to keep them out.  

Why, getting another Ostrich

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Yup, invisible fence. Run it along your fence underground and he wont go near it to dig anymore.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you inside the city limits?  My answer will vary depending upon your answer.  

i am.  i don't want to hurt the dogs.  i just want to relax in my backyard without having to fix my property because of someone else's animals.

I've got nothing then--unless you are willing to spend big money and/or go to a GREAT deal of work.  

You only have two options then--make it physically impossible or scare them away without hurting them.  The first can be done with buried barriers (chain link fence, for instance) or concrete, either in block form or poured the length of the fence.  You can scare them with an electric fence--if you can get it positioned just right without shorting it to ground.  

The cheap, quick, and easy methods involve the use of a Conibear trap(s).  This is really easy and VERY effective--but is illegal in virtually all cities/towns.

Its not hard to get the electric fence close enough to the ground without it shorting out. I have a 1/2 acre yard with an electric wire running all the way around 4-6 inches above the ground.  I have less than 100 dollars in the whole set up.  I bought a small cheap fence charger a tractor supply that is rated for 3/4 of a mile.  I have been shocked by it on a few occasions it does not hurt, but it startles the dogs and they are scared to death to cross the fence line open gate or no.  I am telling you this is cheap and easy and it will work.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Dump dog turds in the holes, if you have some. They usually won't dig them any deeper after that.

BIG +1
It keeps my dog from digging. I just put her poo in the hole and cover it up. Never digs there again. If your neighbors are cool suggest that they do this to protect their dogs.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Put their own poo in the hole. Dogs hate that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Its very hard to short out myt fence, even if wood or vines grow up on it, it will still shock you.  I think it would work, put it about a foot inside the property line and in this case I would run a double strand 6in high and 13 inch high.  I would be money this would put an end to it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#30]
get some of that rerod and drive it down into the ground. i think you can get it about 4' long. i would like to see them dig under that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#31]
round two...

i went with two pieces of 2x4 because i had some laying around.

tonight i come home to an enlargement of the hole.  so i filled it with plumeria leaves left over from yard work.  the dogs were pulling the leaves into their yard as fast as i could throw them in the hole.  plumy leaves and sap are irritating to skin eyes and mouth.  then i put in the hole an old bag of pine bark mulch that was more of a bag of fire ants than mulch.  the dogs are having a lot of fun dragging leaves around the yard and yipping at the ants.  

if it happens again i am going to do something drastic.      
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
round two...

tonight i come home to an enlargement of the hole.  so i filled it with plumeria leaves left over from yard work.  the dogs were pulling the leaves into their yard as fast as i could throw them in the hole.  plumy leaves and sap are irritating to skin eyes and mouth.  then i put in the hole an old bag of pine bark mulch that was more of a bag of fire ants than mulch.  the dogs are having a lot of fun dragging leaves around the yard and yipping at the ants.  

Cheap electric fence charger and a little bit of wire will end your problems. Easy cheap and problem solved.  It is a lot better than you fuming and planning on doing something drastic.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
round two...

Cheap electric fence charger and a little bit of wire will end your problems. Easy cheap and problem solved.  It is a lot better than you fuming and planning on doing something drastic.

i mean drastic like spend Any ammount of money to solve the problem
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Dump a CostCo sized jar of hot pepper in the hole.  One try to get under it and the dogs will get a face full of pepper and won't try it again.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Have you talked with your neighbor about this?

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Broke the bottles in the trench as i was filling it up.

I swung around, pulled back the nose safety on the nail gun and plastered that nasty little black lab with six or eight bullets nails.

This would have been grounds for a serious ass whoopin.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#37]
use an electric wire connected to a transformer, just like a cattle fence, don't turn it up too high.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Broke the bottles in the trench as i was filling it up.

I swung around, pulled back the nose safety on the nail gun and plastered that nasty little black lab with six or eight bullets nails.

This would have been grounds for a serious ass whoopin.

You're right.  In my area nuisance animals end up dead, and owners that don't control  them end up in jail.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Have you talked with your neighbor about this?

+1

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Dump a CostCo sized jar of hot pepper in the hole.  One try to get under it and the dogs will get a face full of pepper and won't try it again.

I tried this and my dogs ate the dirt that I put the pepper on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top