Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/29/2007 3:54:47 AM EDT
I'm not a revolver guy, I feel perfectly comfortable with semis, but if I were to use a revolver, it would be as the primary weapon, not a BUG. The first 6 shots you have to fire would be your most important ones, you would want it to go off without a hitch and should use your revolver here. If you need more firepower, THEN you turn to your semi, not the other way around. Agree?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:59:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The back up gun is usually the smallest, lightweight uber reliable gun you have ie a .38 snubbie.  If I were to find myself in a fire fight I would rather have my primary gun with a 13 round capacity than a 6 with lower powered ammo.  The back up gun is for when your primary either has a catastrophic failure or you run out of ammo (hopefully you carry spare mags)

Also, if you are talking about the first shot being important, a heavy DAO from a snub nosed revolver is the last thing I would want to pull.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]
By the time your on your backup,something has went horribly wrong. and your going to be in OH shit mode. Immediate action for a revolver is pull the trigger again instead of tap rack bang.
Your back up is all about what you have left for motor skills IMO.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
By the time your on your backup,something has went horribly wrong. and your going to be in OH shit mode. Immediate action for a revolver is pull the trigger again instead of tap rack bang.
Your back up is all about what you have left for motor skills IMO.

Yup.
Simple works best for backup.
You might be injured, or even just very sick.  Ever been flat on your back with a really bad case of the flu?  In that situation, I MIGHT be able to squeeze off a shot with a revolver; probably wouldn't be able to do anything more complicated than that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I will carry the 340 PD as a main carry gun. Back up is for the PO-PO.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:28:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

A man after my own heart. The S&W 340PD could be the best carry gun ever made. Yeah, it's about personal preference. Some guys must have a 1911. Some need 17+ rounds....and so on.

The bottom line to me is ease of carry and stopping power. The 340PD is lighter than some guys wallets. So light it easily can be carried in a front pocket and forgotten. Hell, it could be FIRED from inside a front pocket if needed. It's also a scandium/titanium mix which makes it one of the most corrosion resistant guns ever made. Carrying in FL, sweat can be a factor. Not with the 340PD.

I don't think anyone would argue the virtues of the .357 round and likely +P .38's many guys use in 340's as well.

The 340PD is easily accurate enough for any self defense situation. I can nail a target the size of a small plate from 25 feet all day long. I make sure I nail that target by using Crimson Trace grips, which, IMO, are an essential accessory. (Ask Larry Vickers how he feels about them if you don't believe me. Larry Vickers On C.T. Grips)

Light weight. (likely the lightest weight high power carry gun ever made)
Accurate.
Powerful.
Corrosion resistant.
Easy to carry in a variety of ways.
Unsurpassed reliability.

To call the 340PD a BUG is relegating it to a category it should not be confined to by any experienced shooter. It makes an outstanding primary carry gun.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Less likely to jam, perhaps?

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm not a revolver guy, I feel perfectly comfortable with semis, but if I were to use a revolver, it would be as the primary weapon, not a BUG. The first 6 shots you have to fire would be your most important ones, you would want it to go off without a hitch and should use your revolver here. If you need more firepower, THEN you turn to your semi, not the other way around. Agree?

No.

The reason I pack a S&W 442 as a BUG most of the time is because:

1. It is dead nuts reliable. (The lawyer lock infected Smiths are a little more vulnerable to failure because of unwanted engagement of the lock...) If you need to fire your primary weapon, you need it to work....but brother, if you have to pull out a second handgun you REALLY need it to work.

BUG carry positions often expose weapons to lots of crud and gunk buildup that can cause function issues in semi-autos. A revolver like the Smith 442 that has its operating mechanism essentially sealed off from such crud is a good idea.

2. It is that perfect blend of small and light while being just big and powerful enough to offer good performance and reasonable shootability.

3. It offers the best concealability of any handgun out there while still offering that incredible reliability mentioned earlier.

The S&W J frame revolvers are the ultimate backup pieces. There's a reason why guys like Ken Hackathorn own and carry them as BUGs and sometimes as primaries.

I wouldn't lead off in a gunfight with my 442 over my 1911 for the same reason that I wouldn't lead off in a gunfight with my 1911 rather than my AR.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No, backups are not just for the po-po.

Folks, I hate to be the one to break this news to you, but the reality is that police gunfights are with the same sorts of scumbags who will start a fight with ordinary civilians. Ordinary citizens also purchase firearms that are not somehow immune to the phenomenon of malfunctions or parts breakage....

In fact when it comes to reliability police sidearms often have a much better track record than many of the firearms ordinary citizens conceal...

Backup guns are a GOOD IDEA for EVERYONE who carries a firearm for personal defense.

"Two is one, one is none..."

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Because they don't teh jam like glockz!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Failure to fire drill for a dao revolver? Pull the trigger again!

Light weight and small package that just slips into my right front pocket in any clothes I wear. If it prints too much a piece of cardboard slips in front of it.

A 5 shot smith 642 loaded with +p's in your pocket beats hell out of a 500 S&W in the safe.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The 340PD is easily accurate enough for any self defense situation.

While that is true, the J frames are NOT easy to shoot well under stress by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, they can be used effectively, but they take a LOT of practice to master.

I can nail a target the size of a small plate from 25 feet all day long. I make sure I nail that target by using Crimson Trace grips, which, IMO, are an essential accessory. (Ask Larry Vickers how he feels about them if you don't believe me. Larry Vickers On C.T. Grips)

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Vickers. After playing with some CT grips I'm sold on their utility especially on J frames.

To call the 340PD a BUG is relegating it to a category it should not be confined to by any experienced shooter. It makes an outstanding primary carry gun.

I would disagree here.

The little Smith J frames are fantastic little weapons. I love mine to death....

But the reality is that if I knew a fight was coming there's no way in hell I would pick one as my primary weapon because of how difficult they are to shoot well and how little ammo they have.

I've carried my little J frames as a primary on many occasions...typically occasions when I simply couldn't get away with carrying anything bigger. That being said, I was NEVER happy about it.

If all you can carry is a J frame, by all means do so. But I would strongly advise carrying something bigger along with the J frame if you can pull it off. If you have to compromise, a J frame (or a *pair* of J frames) isn't a bad compromise by any stretch.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:49:32 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread got me thinking...  Why hasn't someone developed a revolver-like gun which, instead of the rounds being fed through a cylinder, are instead fed in a single-stack design, similar to a stripper clip?

Every pull of the trigger would move the cartridge housing device up one round's distance, just like a revolver rotates the cylinder one turn with each trigger pull.  It would be different from a semi-auto because it's the same function of a revolver, but instead of having a fat middle, the redesign would allow for a much slimmer overall size, and you could just pull the trigger again instead of the tap-rack-shoot.

_MaH
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This thread got me thinking...  Why hasn't someone developed a revolver-like gun which, instead of the rounds being fed through a cylinder, are instead fed in a single-stack design, similar to a stripper clip?

Every pull of the trigger would move the cartridge housing device up one round's distance, just like a revolver rotates the cylinder one turn with each trigger pull.  It would be different from a semi-auto because it's the same function of a revolver, but instead of having a fat middle, the redesign would allow for a much slimmer overall size, and you could just pull the trigger again instead of the tap-rack-shoot.

The concept is called a "harmonica" gun....
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:52:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Didn't it come about originally when Officers with privately purchased revolvers were re-trained and issued semi's?

Carrying a revolver backup makes a bit more sense in that context?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:52:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been carrying a BUG for the past 8yrs day in and day out.  I either carry a Glock 22 of 23 as a primary and a S&W 642 as a back-up, on-duty or off.  I usually carry the smith in my jacket pocket especially this time of year.  Having heavy clothing on (ie winter jacket) that my have cinch cords and you're wearing a belt holster, try getting that primary out under life threatening conditions and place 2 well placed shots into your attackers chest cavity and see who comes out on top.  I can squeeze off  the revolver from inside the pocket and I'll take my chances of having the cylinder turn vs. trying to get to a primary that may or may not get hung up.  Sure under the perfect conditions I'd love to have my 13 or 15 rnd auto in hand, who knows maybe those  first shots gave me enough time to creat some space, get some cover, or allows me just enough time to get that primary out.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While that is true, the J frames are NOT easy to shoot well under stress by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, they can be used effectively, but they take a LOT of practice to master.

While true to the uninitiated, C.T. grips make stress shooting much more managable...putting the 340PD on level ground with any other hand gun IMO.

I can nail a target the size of a small plate from 25 feet all day long. I make sure I nail that target by using Crimson Trace grips, which, IMO, are an essential accessory. (Ask Larry Vickers how he feels about them if you don't believe me. Larry Vickers On C.T. Grips)

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Vickers. After playing with some CT grips I'm sold on their utility especially on J frames.

As I stated earlier, not just a good idea on J-Frames, but essential....for reasons stated above. The compromise of a very short barrel is eaily overcome using CT grips IMO....making it an outstanding combo for carry.

I would disagree here.

The little Smith J frames are fantastic little weapons. I love mine to death....

But the reality is that if I knew a fight was coming there's no way in hell I would pick one as my primary weapon because of how difficult they are to shoot well and how little ammo they have.

I've carried my little J frames as a primary on many occasions...typically occasions when I simply couldn't get away with carrying anything bigger. That being said, I was NEVER happy about it.

If all you can carry is a J frame, by all means do so. But I would strongly advise carrying something bigger along with the J frame if you can pull it off.

The S&W 340 is only little in appearance...and certainly not ability.

I understand your points and while valid, not always practical. In South Florida, much of the year (over 3/4) a light t-shirt, shorts and flip flops are what I wear. The climate restricts carry options significantly. Yes, a loose fitting shirt pulled outside the pants does work on occasion, but frankly when you spend as much time outdoors as I do...it just isn't what gets it done on a daily basis. I have a variety of hand guns, some for carry....others for home defense. As for how I feel carrying my 340PD as a primary much of the time? Very happy with it. I can have it drawn and on target faster than any hand gun I own, and lead on target extremely quickly.

The virtues of more than one gun & the virtues of more capacity and so on are all well understood by me....and often utilized. But I never feel vulnerable with my 340...quite the contrary. I do agree that 5 rounds is a restriction that is something of a concern....but not much. The virtues of the 340PD/Crimson Trace grips address all things sufficiently for my peace of mind.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:57:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Cheap. Reliable. Small. Light. Simple.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Didn't it come about originally when Officers with privately purchased revolvers were re-trained and issued semi's?

Carrying a revolver backup makes a bit more sense in that context?

Officers who carried revolvers as duty weapons were typically carrying some sort of medium or large framed wheelgun with a 4 inch or longer barrel...

In addition, many made a practice of carrying a smaller revolver as a backup.

When the semi-auto matured as a platform departments adopted them for duty weapons, but a lot of guys found that their small revolvers still worked great as backup pieces.

The idea of the backup gun wasn't new....people serious about self defense had been packing backups for CENTURIES. Since the revolver existed lots of people made a practice of packing a couple of them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A man after my own heart. The S&W 340PD could be the best carry gun ever made. Yeah, it's about personal preference. Some guys must have a 1911. Some need 17+ rounds....and so on.

The bottom line to me is ease of carry and stopping power. The 340PD is lighter than some guys wallets. So light it easily can be carried in a front pocket and forgotten. Hell, it could be FIRED from inside a front pocket if needed. It's also a scandium/titanium mix which makes it one of the most corrosion resistant guns ever made. Carrying in FL, sweat can be a factor. Not with the 340PD.

I don't think anyone would argue the virtues of the .357 round and likely +P .38's many guys use in 340's as well.

The 340PD is easily accurate enough for any self defense situation. I can nail a target the size of a small plate from 25 feet all day long. I make sure I nail that target by using Crimson Trace grips, which, IMO, are an essential accessory. (Ask Larry Vickers how he feels about them if you don't believe me. Larry Vickers On C.T. Grips)

Accurate.
Powerful.
Corrosion resistant.
Unsurpassed reliability.

Its what I pack, everyday, everywhere!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Because they don't teh jam like glockz!

Uh-Oh!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I understand your points and while valid, not always practical. In South Florida, much of the year (over 3/4) a light t-shirt, shorts and flip flops are what I wear. The climate restricts carry options significantly. Yes, a loose fitting shirt pulled outside the pants does work on occasion, but frankly when you spend as much time outdoors as I do...it just isn't what gets it done on a daily basis. I have a variety of hand guns, some for carry....others for home defense. As for how I feel carrying my 340PD as a primary much of the time? Very happy with it. I can have it drawn and on target faster than any hand gun I own, and lead on target extremely quickly.

The virtues of more than one gun & the virtues of more capacity and so on are all well understood by me....and often utilized. But I never feel vulnerable with my 340...quite the contrary. I do agree that 5 rounds is a restriction that is something of a concern....but not much. The virtues of the 340PD/Crimson Trace grips address all things sufficiently for my peace of mind.
Dude, in the hot steamy months of summer here in Virginia when it is T-shirt and shorts, I have no problems concealing a P229.  The whole "to hot for something bigger" just doesn't hold water.  Get a decent compact auto and carry it in a Bianchi, you will wonder why it took you so long to do it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, in the hot steamy months of summer here in Virginia when it is T-shirt and shorts, I have no problems concealing a P229.  The whole "to hot for something bigger" just doesn't hold water.  Get a decent compact auto and carry it in a Bianchi, you will wonder why it took you so long to do it.

If you knew me better, that post would never have been made.

I own the rig you suggest. I use it for carry as well. To each their own.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you knew me better, that post would never have been made.

I own the rig you suggest. I use it for carry as well. To each their own.
Fair enough!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It depends a great deal on your physiology.

Personally I have absolutely no trouble concealing a full-sized handgun when I use a good holster, a good belt, and an untucked T-shirt, in addition to packing my J frame in my pocket.

I've carried 1911s, USPs, Beretta 92s, Glock 17s, Sig P220s, Walther P99s, S&W revolvers (medium frame), and countless other handguns that way.

Others might not be able to pull it off.

That being said, I am absolutely CONVINCED that there are vast numbers of people who really *can* carry more if they would invest some time and energy into finding the right holster, belt, and clothing combo.

Like an experienced fellow I know said once: "If you don't have a box full of holsters you've tried, you aren't trying hard enough..."

BTW --- Galco > Bianchi
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The back up gun is usually the smallest, lightweight uber reliable gun you have ie a .38 snubbie.  If I were to find myself in a fire fight I would rather have my primary gun with a 13 round capacity than a 6 with lower powered ammo.  The back up gun is for when your primary either has a catastrophic failure or you run out of ammo (hopefully you carry spare mags)

Also, if you are talking about the first shot being important, a heavy DAO from a snub nosed revolver is the last thing I would want to pull.

My primary and only carry gun for 90% of my work is a S&W 342pd.  That's mainly because only the most determined, organized and trained perps will stand and fight once the first shot goes off.  

I also can't afford to carry a larger semi auto gun.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Like an experienced fellow I know said once: "If you don't have a box full of holsters you've tried, you aren't trying hard enough..."
Pretty darn accurate right there!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty darn accurate right there!

I have that box-o-holsters. Paddles, shoulder, IWB, ankle...I think there's a belly band in there somewhere too!

I'm convinced we could have one hell of a holster exchange program here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:I think there's a belly band in there somewhere too!

Talk about a device that should be burned

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:35:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I agree...total waste of time. I had to buy one online, get it home, strap it on and only then relaized what a stunning waste of time it really was. It never got worn after that.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree...total waste of time. I had to buy one online, get it home, strap it on and only then relaized what a stunning waste of time it really was. It never got worn after that.

My old boss uses one to carry a G27.  By the time he digs it out of  his crotch and racks the slide, he could probably dial 911 and get the cops to this rescue before he could use his weapon.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least I am not alone with my box of holsters.

SRM
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I actually find that to be a decent option. I use the Galco version to carry my 442 when I go to the gym. Can't exactly run on the treadmill with the 442 flopping around in the pocket of a pair of workout pants....

The Galco version fits pretty well and the leather holster pockets work well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Am I an odd man out for carrying a 2" snub as mostly my primary?

If I know that I will be traveling through, or in a bad part of town I will always bring a full size auto with an extra mag or 2 simply due to capacity. 95% of the time though it's my little 7 shot loaded with +P's. What do I lose in comparison to a Sub 9mm? 3 rounds maybe? Less moving parts to jam/break is a plus IMO.

Some of you will probably think I am stupid for it, and maybe I am. But I am not out looking for trouble, I keep a low profile and at short distances I can draw/aim/fire just as fast as anything else I would carry.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

COmparing Florida to VA is apples and oranges; what's hot for you is mild for them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accurate.
Powerful.
Corrosion resistant.
Unsurpassed reliability.

+1

I carry a 642ti, it would be perfect if it was a 340 pd.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Doesn't leave evidence behind.

Do not say that! You will completely negate the whole point of ballistic fingerprinting and microstamping!!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

If I know that I will be traveling through, or in a bad part of town I will always bring a full size auto with an extra mag or 2 simply due to capacity. 95% of the time though it's my little 7 shot loaded with +P's. What do I lose in comparison to a Sub 9mm? 3 rounds maybe? Less moving parts to jam/break is a plus IMO.

Some of you will probably think I am stupid for it, and maybe I am. But I am not out looking for trouble, I keep a low profile and at short distances I can draw/aim/fire just as fast as anything else I would carry.

My primary is a 3" barreled J-frame .357.  I can hit just fine with it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Another benefit to the revolver that has not been addressed yet is the fact that a revolver can be fired with any sort of grip or by any finger, not just the trigger finger.  Many, if not all semiautomatic handguns rely on a good firm grip to work the slide when firing.  

Additionally,  if the nerves or tendons of the forearm are damaged, the strength of the hand is lessened greatly, which may induce malfunctions in an auto hangun.  Many women, elderly or other people with dengenerative joint and/or muscle conditions my lack the strength to allow an automatic hangun to function properly.  A revolver is easier to load and unload for them and makes a viable self defense choice.

** I realize that if you are injured in your dominate arm that you should switch to your weak hand, and that the trigger pull may be heavy in a revolver and cause trouble pulling the trigger,  BUT  you can use an unorthodox grip on a revolver that can permit you to work a revolver **

Revolvers also have an irregular shape to them, and tend NOT to catch on clothing as readily as an automatic, especially the Centennial line from S&W.  They "ride" better in an ankle rig and in a pocket.

FWIW.

Regards,
Gregor
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#40]
My 2 carry guns are a G26 and 340pd.  

Right now at work I have the 340pd in my front pocket and it's no more than carrying a cell phone.  

The G26 is at home and it is uncomfortable to carry during the day, but I do keep it IWB holstered whenever I'm out in the public, ie, shopping, etc...

My 7 yard 5 round groups with each gun are:

Glock 2-3 inches.
340   5-8 inches,  a little more if I'm shooting heavy .357's out of it.

It's my first revolver and I've pushed about 300rds out of it and definately need more trigger time as it's a trigger that's totally new to me, BUT I do feel safe using it in any situation.  

One problem that I do have is that I'm terrible with speed loaders that you put in and turn to load all 5 rounds.  Seems the lead catches the cylinder and always hangs them up.  I'm even worse with the strip loaders as I can't get them out of the holder.  I wish there was a way I could carry an extra cylinder and just pop out the old one in place of this.  

Need more practice.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#41]
For LEO's, if someone is trying to snatch your duty weapon and you want to shoot them off of you with your BUG; you need something that isn't going to jam when you're practically holding it backwards. Think about shooting around your right shoulder with the gun in your left hand. Most small semi-auto's are very sensitive to limp wristing, so they would be one shot weapons.

Personally, for that situtation, I'd take a fixed blade knife over a gun.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#42]
If you have an unarmed person with you in a violent encounter, you can loan them your BUG is it is a revolver.  Point and pull trigger is pretty easy for them to figure out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#43]
A 38 snubbie (hammerless, of course) in your pocket is better than the 1911 in your safe.

You guys are dead wrong about DOA.

A nice smooth DA trigger can be shot just as accurately as a SA.

I mean within the limits of adrenalized combat type shooting.  Obviously, a target pistol would be SA.

To give you an example of DA shooting, I once shot 18 shots into a 4" group at 25 yards with a 22 revolver, shooting DA.

It's not anywhere near as hard to master as you guys let on.

You can get good enough with a snubbie loaded with 38 +P to keep them all in the black at 20 yards.  That's about it, unless you want to spend every weekend practicing with it.

Its primary role is to be small and pocket-able.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I shoot my 642 really well. Realistically, I don't have the need for a BUG at the present.

If I did, I would try one of the small semis to see which one I was better with.

Sometimes you only THINK you're GTG.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#45]
If you need a BUG then your primary isn't as reliable as it needs to be.

That is why I carry a a 642. If I need to use more than 5 shots then it's a gunfight I shouldn't have gotten myself in to.

ETA: I carry for personal protection, not to save the world from a crazed lunatic in wal-mart.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The average shootout involves 3 rounds total so you along with a lot of us are covered for an average encounter. A combat handgun is good if you expect combat. If I expect combat I bring a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Another benefit to the revolver that has not been addressed yet is the fact that a revolver can be fired with any sort of grip or by any finger, not just the trigger finger.  Many, if not all semiautomatic handguns rely on a good firm grip to work the slide when firing.  

Additionally,  if the nerves or tendons of the forearm are damaged, the strength of the hand is lessened greatly, which may induce malfunctions in an auto hangun.  Many women, elderly or other people with dengenerative joint and/or muscle conditions my lack the strength to allow an automatic hangun to function properly.  A revolver is easier to load and unload for them and makes a viable self defense choice.

** I realize that if you are injured in your dominate arm that you should switch to your weak hand, and that the trigger pull may be heavy in a revolver and cause trouble pulling the trigger,  BUT  you can use an unorthodox grip on a revolver that can permit you to work a revolver **

Revolvers also have an irregular shape to them, and tend NOT to catch on clothing as readily as an automatic, especially the Centennial line from S&W.  They "ride" better in an ankle rig and in a pocket.

FWIW.

Regards,
Gregor
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
You guys are dead wrong about DOA.

A nice smooth DA trigger can be shot just as accurately as a SA.

...and most J frames don't come with those nice smooth triggers.

I mean within the limits of adrenalized combat type shooting.  Obviously, a target pistol would be SA.

It's hard to hit a target under stress with a glass-rod-breaking 4 pound trigger pull on a 1911 that will shoot 3 inch groups at 50 yards...

Much more the case with a tiny revolver with a stiff trigger pull, bad sights, and nasty recoil. J frames are great little guns, but let's be realistic about their strengths and weaknesses.

It's not anywhere near as hard to master as you guys let on.

It's not about what you can do with it on a nice sunny day on the range. I've hit targets as far away as 100 yards with my J frame....but I've also shot it in serious training and I can tell you that while you can use one effectively it is *harder* to do than with other handguns.

...and the irony is that the little J frames are the LEAST likely to be practiced with.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
My 2 carry guns are a G26 and 340pd.  

Right now at work I have the 340pd in my front pocket and it's no more than carrying a cell phone.  

The G26 is at home and it is uncomfortable to carry during the day, but I do keep it IWB holstered whenever I'm out in the public, ie, shopping, etc...

My 7 yard 5 round groups with each gun are:

Glock 2-3 inches.
340   5-8 inches,  a little more if I'm shooting heavy .357's out of it.

It's my first revolver and I've pushed about 300rds out of it and definately need more trigger time as it's a trigger that's totally new to me, BUT I do feel safe using it in any situation.  

One problem that I do have is that I'm terrible with speed loaders that you put in and turn to load all 5 rounds.  Seems the lead catches the cylinder and always hangs them up.  I'm even worse with the strip loaders as I can't get them out of the holder.  I wish there was a way I could carry an extra cylinder and just pop out the old one in place of this.  

Need more practice.

Use ball in the speed loader. It is not a good round but you can get them to drop in quickly without looking. A little practice and you are at least able to return fire.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I dig my 340PD. It's my primary sometimes, but always on me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top