Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/24/2007 10:15:40 AM EDT
I am so pissed.  I went to pick up my Honda at the dealer for the second time of them trying to fix the piss poor paint job the had done in an attempt to fix a ding on the driver door.  The first time the door had runs every where in the paint.  This time they not only forgot to paint a section of the door that had been sanded, they put a paint chip in the rear quarter panel and front fender.

The GM of the dealer offered an alarm w/ remote start, a deck spoiler for the trunk, and the first month's payment.

The guy that did the body work is meeting me at the dealer tomorrow to go over everything.

All of this stemmed from a ding on the bottom of the door that was there prior to delivery.  What what you do?

here's the original thread if you're interested.

UPDATE:

I just spoke with a lemon law firm who said they'd take the case.  I gave them all of the info and they are going to start with a letter to Honda demanding a new car.

UPDATE:

Okay, well I just spoke with the GM at the dealership. They're telling me that they took the car to a body shop, which no one seems to know the name of, and he buffed out the door because that is all that is needed.

I spoke with a lawyer that says I am entitled to get the $$$ it would cost to have the entire car repainted. The dealer wants to make my first payment and throw in an alarm w/ remote start or a spoiler. What the hell should I do now? I am so freaking pissed. I haven't seen the car yet but I know that the door needed to be recleared.

UPDATE 11/28/2007 :

I picked up the car today.  I really didn't have a choice because the GM said that this was the best it was going to get.  The clear coat is way too heavy, there are sand marks in the paint, and runs on the edges.  On top of that they messed up the leather on the top of the door panel on the inside.   I took it to a body shop and they want $2,000 to repaint the door and fender and quarter panel.  The body shop said the whole side would need to be painted because the body shop sanded to deep into the color and they would need to completely strip the door down and to match it properly the adjacent panels would need paint.  The dealer is saying that they won't pay for it.

UPDATE 11/30/2007 :

Okay,  I called the dealership today and spoke with the GM asking him for copies of the work orders and also telling him that they really need to fix the car right this time.  He told me no, that he is done with me, and since I took the car that is it.  I told the GM that the only reason I took the car was because he gave me no choice.  I said that I am getting a lawyer and that I am considering stanfing across the street from the dealership with a sign saying that I feel like I am getting screwed.  He said if I do that he will have me arrested.  Can he do that?  What if I go into the dealership just to get my workorders, can he have me arrested?  I am so freaking pissed and at a complete loss for words.

LEOs,  can I be arrested for standing outside, not on their property, with a sign that says "I got screwed at this dealership" ???

UPDATE 12/01/2007 :

Well the general manager called me this morning and said that if I get three estimates for the needed repairs he will pay for it if the hire ups approve.  I guess I did good.  I'm also sure that the guy from corporate talked to him.  The corporate guy got a letter from the BBB on my behalf and really doesn't want me to sue.  Let's see how this goes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't take delivery of it if you aren't satisfied with the condition.  Other than that at least they are offering something for your troubles but if those things don't interest you then maybe they could work something else out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The guy that did the body work is meeting me at the dealer tomorrow to go over everything.

Unless you plan on going the F' off on him, IMO, he is not needed. He will probably just try to talk you down. If your not happy just skip that step and take one of your own, go higher than the GM.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you plan on going the F' off on him, IMO, he is not needed. He will probably just try to talk you down. If your not happy just skip that step and take one of your own, go higher than the GM.

Actually the body guy just called me and said they can reglaze it.  I told him that was crap because the clear coat doesn't even go to the edge of the door.

Am I expecting to much when I say I want showroom quality?  The car literally has 359 miles on it and I paid $26,000 for it.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Call Honda Corporate, get them involved.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't take delivery of it if you aren't satisfied with the condition.  Other than that at least they are offering something for your troubles but if those things don't interest you then maybe they could work something else out.

They're repainting and screwing up panels on a new car?  Take another car.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
This is the reason I specifically told them NOT to do any sort of "dealer prep" on my car before I took delivery. They insisted that they do a great job washing and waxing the cars, I told them thanks but leave it alone. I drove it home with the plastic still on it.

It is nice for them to at least offer you things in an effort to kiss your ass, but *I* would be more worried about them fucking up other things when installing the alarm and spoiler. Refuse to take delivery of the car and have them give you a $1K in cash or check, perhaps more. All the stuff he offered you will easily add up to that, keep that in mind. Plus, how much of the car's value has depreciated due to all the body work it now needs/will have? Remember that, and make them pay for it since it was THEIR fuck up.

A small ding could or should have been fixed without the need for any paint - that is, by someone who knew WTF he was doing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Your car has been repainted, damaged, and is worth less than what you paid. You have the right to cancel and I highly advise that you do so.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Your car has been repainted, damaged, and is worth less than what you paid. You have the right to cancel and I highly advise that you do so.

All new cars are worth less than what you paid.  And once you sign, you do not have a "right to cancel".  Some states allow a "cooling off" period of 3-5 days.

There's about zero chance at this point that the OP could just "get another car".
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I ran into a similar situation a few years ago. I took delivery on a "brand new" car that only showed 42 miles on the odometer, and then I got home and found out that the "trip" meter was showing and the odometer actually showed that the car had 5,200 miles on it (one of the salesmen had been driving it as a "program car" and it had also been used as a demo...

I still remember when the sales manager offered me a "sunroof spoiler" as payment for the 5,200 actual miles on the car. Then he offered to add 3-free oil changes to the spoiler deal (WTF?) Of course, my trade-in had already been sold and was "off the lot".

I left the new car with them, called my wife to come pick me up (they'll do anything to try to keep you on the lot...) and then called the Oklahoma State Motor Vehicle Commission the next morning and handed the matter over to them.

The dealer had a BRAND NEW car delivered to my residence at the original agreed price even though they had to scrounge one up from a competitor's dealership. I also detailed the whole matter on the Nissan factory follow-up questionaire that was sent out by the factory after the purchase and told them that I would NOT ever use that particular dealership again, nor would I recommend them to anyone else.

The damn questionaire seemed to have shaken them up worse than the contact by the state licensing board...go figure.
I firmly believe that the streets of hell are paved with the bodies of car salesmen.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
they screwed up twice why give them another chance.

MAKE them give you another undamaged vehicle or your money back.

+1, already the CarFax Report will show the dealer did some kind of repair. It is already not "New" and now has been damaged- they can't even sell it for "New" pricing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you bought a Stag rifle from a vendor, and the vendor screws up the rifle, do you think Stag will fix the vendors mistake?  Probably not.

Same thing with the car business.  People dont understand that they are dealing with a vendor who simply stocks Honda vehicles.  They arent dealing with Honda directly.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
+1.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All new cars are worth less than what you paid.  And once you sign, you do not have a "right to cancel".  Some states allow a "cooling off" period of 3-5 days.

There's about zero chance at this point that the OP could just "get another car".

You have 30 days to cancel from time of delivery.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you bought a Stag rifle from a vendor, and the vendor screws up the rifle, do you think Stag will fix the vendors mistake?  Probably not.

Same thing with the car business.  People dont understand that they are dealing with a vendor who simply stocks Honda vehicles.  They arent dealing with Honda directly.

Dealerships Stealerships deal with corporate, they have to keep corporate happy too. believe me.

My Wife works in the car biz (15 years), she has seen it a million times...it gets results.

What else do you have to lose at this point?
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dealerships Stealerships deal with corporate, they have to keep corporate happy too. believe me.

My Wife works in the car biz (15 years), she has seen it a million times...it gets results.

I'm not sure that kind of dealership your wife works at, but from my personal experience  Asian car manufacturers could really care less.  The only time that they will get involved with the dealer is on a warranty issue that may turn into a buyback situation, basically when their ass is on the line.  
This paint issue has NOTHING to do with the manufacturer, its between you and the dealer.  There really is nothing you can you besides keep letting them repair it, and having them do it until its right.  All of the testosterone laden posturing is going to get you no where if the sales manager, or GM is the same type of guy.  When people try it with me, there are a few things that go through my head:

#1: "Wow, is this guy really that mad?, wow, he must not have much going on in life to be that mad.....boy I'm bored, whens lunch....I wonder if he'd be willing to yell at me while I smoke a cig....maybe he'll have a heart attack and die on the floor.....maybe he'll actually hit me...I hope so, i'm so bored.....wonder if I can kick his ass.....no probably not, hes big......HA after he hits me, I'll hit him with the trans input shaft thats next to my desk.....he'll go down for sure......maybe not.....fuck it, if he hits me hes getting shot.

or

#2: "Boy, its too early in the morning for this shit.....I wonder if this guy understands that sometimes shit happens......if he would just shut the fuck up, I could get on with the day, and get on with getting his car fixed.......nope.....nope......I'm not saying "I'm sorry" again......OH THATS BULLSHIT, that chip on the rear was there when he drove in and i fucking saw it, this guy is a POS liar......no sense in arguing, its not like I'm going to get him to admit this hes a liar......I wish he would just leave the car here.....I would let it rot until the bank comes to pick it up.....HAHA repossession for him = FAIL....oh, ok, your never coming back ever?.....cool....thats all I needed to know.....no sense in losing my job over this guy.....but I'm going to to the bare minimum and do what ever I can to make his life miserable..........yea sure,  I'll make sure that the drivers ontime to pick you up.....suurreeeee buddy"

Be professional, as if you were dealing with a contractor at work.  No matter what kind of dealership commando stories you hear on this site, nothing changes the fact "That you get more flys with honey, than you do with vinegar."  

Sorry you've had a bad experience, and I know that you are angry, but theres nothing you can do except be nice, and roll with it, and don't shop there in the future.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I have sold 8 different lines of cars/trucks.

Call Honda corporate, they will be interested in making sure this is resolved correctly. They understand that while a satisfied customer may tell 3-10 friends, a dis-satisfied customer will tell 10-100 friends.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Call Honda corporate, they will be interested in making sure this is resolved correctly. They understand that while a satisfied customer may tell 3-10 friends, a dis-satisfied customer will tell 10-100 friends.

A dealership around here lost their franchise for just this sort of crap.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Or nine million mutherfuckers on the Internet.  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1.

Ditto.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#24]
As a guy in the car business, here is what I would do.  Have the GM bring out the paint meter and check the whole car.  When it has 2-3 times the amount of paint thickness where they did all of the work that is the end of the argument.  

When you go to trade the car to me, I am going to put the paint meter on it and when the panels are all over the place on paint thickness I know your car isn't "right".  Regardless of your story your car has had paint work and it is worth less.

They have gone way beyond the call of duty to fuck up your new car for sure.  New car or they can fuck off.  They created this problem and they need to fix it.

Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure that kind of dealership your wife works at, but from my personal experience  Asian car manufacturers could really care less.  

Mike

It is an Asian car company.

I had an issue with my Honda that I bought back in 1987, was an issue with the dealership.  They stepped in and told the Stealership how to make it right.

I traded that 1987 car for another Honda at the same dealership in 2001 because I had such a positive experience with the corporate office and the Stealership had changed hands too.

Again, get corporate involved, what do you have to lose at this point?
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Be happy it wasnt Ford. They would offer to cover half of their repair cost with an additional $100 for being a great customer!

The public liason to the CEO would call that more than fair.

I own page 2, and my next vehicle will be a used Buick because I know a secret.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Contact the BBB and ask them for the information on getting an "arbitration hearing". It won't cost you a dime and the dealer will likely end up having to buy the car back after the hearing. I took Nissan to arbitration and they had to buy my new car back. It took about two months for the whole process, but it didn't cost me a dime.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1.

Ditto.

All Honda Corp will do is repaint the car. Who the fuck wants a brand new car that's been devalued by being repainted, and likely ends up with sub-standard paint compared to the factory paint?

Schedule an arbitration hearing (no cost to the car owner) with the local BBB and make Honda buy the car back. You stand ZERO chance of getting your money back or a new car unless you do this. All the dealer will do is repaint.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'm trying to do that but they say since the car is registered they won't take it  back because they would have to sell it as used and lose a lot of money.

If you know a way to achieve this please let me know.  I am at my wits end with this crap.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm trying to do that but they say since the car is registered they won't take it  back because they would have to sell it as used and lose a lot of money.

If you know a way to achieve this please let me know.  I am at my wits end with this crap.

Can you get new painted body parts from Honda like you can for certain US models?  Kevin Whitaker Chevy in Greenville, SC cracked the front fender and door when they were repairing the stereo on his new Corvette that had less than 500 miles.  Whitaker refused to pay for their mistake, but he was able to get replacement body parts that were painted from the same lot of paint through a Chevy dealer in Montana.   It cost him a good bit, but the new parts matched perfectly and they still look great over seven years later.z
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#31]
unfortunatly, if I were to get a new door put on the title would have to be changed to "salvage" because of the vin numbers on the parts.

The salesman mentioned doing a trade up if I am not happy.

I bought a 2007 accord coupe v6 Leather, he mentioned me getting a 2008 and splitting the difference in cost which would be $4K out of my pocket.  I paid $23,900 before taxes so that would be $27,900 which is still less than the MSRP on the 2008 ($28,500).  Would you guys go for that?  I'm considering it just so I can put this behind me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Holy shit, this car is still jacked up and they still can't fix it?????

You shoulda bought a used car!
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
unfortunatly, if I were to get a new door put on the title would have to be changed to "salvage" because of the vin numbers on the parts.

I bought a 2007 accord coupe v6 Leather, he mentioned me getting a 2008 and splitting the difference in cost which would be $4K out of my pocket.  I paid $23,900 before taxes so that would be $27,900 which is still less than the MSRP on the 2008 ($28,500).  Would you guys go for that?  I'm considering it just so I can put this behind me.

So they didn't make enough off you the first time and you are going to pay them more for screwing up your car?

Call Honda Corporate...your car fixed right or no car.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Who do they have fixing it?  My new Ford had a 3" scratch on the fender when I bought it.  I showed them and they said" bring it back when their touch-up man was in."  

I did, he looked at it, mixed some paint just by eyeballing it, then painted it with a toothpick.  I guarantee you can't find the repair w/o a magnifying glass.  I would not believe it if I wasn't standing there watching.  BTW, it took maybe 3 minutes start to finish.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It's actually not a bad compromise to take a different car.  But they want too much more money out of you.  Invoice on the 08 you mentioned is roughly $25,600.  Offer to give them $1500 more for the 08 ($25,400 total) and go away happy.  But paying $600 under MSRP on the Accord coupe which typically sells for less than that for customers with no issues is a ripoff.  Don't let them get you twice.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you not seen multiple people posting for you to CALL CORPORATE AND THE BBB?

Get it done.

I don't even know why you accepted the dinged car in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Just call corporate and be done with it..
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just call corporate and be done with it..
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#39]

I own page 2, and my next vehicle will be a used Buick because I know a secret.

You obviously don't know the right secret.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As a guy in the car business, here is what I would do.  Have the GM bring out the paint meter and check the whole car.  When it has 2-3 times the amount of paint thickness where they did all of the work that is the end of the argument.  

When you go to trade the car to me, I am going to put the paint meter on it and when the panels are all over the place on paint thickness I know your car isn't "right".  Regardless of your story your car has had paint work and it is worth less.

Thats actually really good advice.  But be nice, after the readout shows its too thick, just say "I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from, what can we do to make this right?"  See what he offers.  
Trading up is not a bad idea, ONLY if they sell you the new one at DEAD COST (not invoice, dead cost. Invoice - hold back - any incentives - minus any commission), minus what  you paid for the damaged model.  Once you get them to sell it to you for the dead cost of the next model, take it, its not going to get any better than that.  Don't let them tell you that their going to "loose money" because your current car can no longer be sold as new.  They most likely can, and will just turn it into a service loaner, and then sell it in 1.5 years and make all their money back.  

Good luck

Mike
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats actually really good advice.  But be nice, after the readout shows its too thick, just say "I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from, what can we do to make this right?"  See what he offers.  
Trading up is not a bad idea, ONLY if they sell you the new one at DEAD COST (not invoice, dead cost. Invoice - hold back - any incentives - minus any commission), minus what  you paid for the damaged model.  Once you get them to sell it to you for the dead cost of the next model, take it, its not going to get any better than that.  Don't let them tell you that their going to "loose money" because your current car can no longer be sold as new.  They most likely can, and will just turn it into a service loaner, and then sell it in 1.5 years and make all their money back.  

Good luck

Mike

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  

I've had corporat einvolved sionce day one.  The only thing they said they can do was keep up woth the dealer but could not actually get involved.  The only thing they offered was 2 free oil changes.

Is there anyway I can find out what the dead cost is on a 2008 Accord Coupe, V6 with Leather?

Anyway I can find out t
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck

Mike

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  

I've had corporat einvolved sionce day one.  The only thing they said they can do was keep up woth the dealer but could not actually get involved.  The only thing they offered was 2 free oil changes.

Is there anyway I can find out what the dead cost is on a 2008 Accord Coupe, V6 with Leather?

Anyway I can find out t

Its gonna take someone who works at a honda dealer to tell you.  I'll see if I can make a call or 2 tomorrow, but I can't promise anything.  What I can do - IM me the price that they tell you is "dead cost", and give me the model number (DX, LX, SE ?  something like that)  Its a lot easier to ask an acquaintance "Is this dead cost" vs "what is dead cost".  

Mike
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#43]
okay I'll try and get a price from them today.. Thank you

I also called Lexus today and found out who they use... would you trust a body shop that lexus uses?
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Tell them to give you an upgraded model of the car as a replacement.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:35:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Walk away from the car.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:39:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Listen...I went throught the same thing earlier this year when I bought a brand new dodge truck.  I'm still fighting with the dealership and its almost been a year.  You'll never be happy with the car, no matter how many times it's been painted.  Everyone else that looks at my truck can't tell its been painted, not even the two dealerships I took it to to trade it in.  I see it because its my truck, I know whats been done to it.  

I bought the truck and when I got it home I noticed a crease in the door, I took it back to the dealership with 50 miles on it, and asked them to have a paintless dent guy fix the door.  They said no problem, I also told them that if it needs paint then don't worry about it.  The truck is Black metallic and I would rather have a crease in the door then fucked up paint....well a week later they call me and say that my truck is in the paint booth and will be done soon.......WTF, I said no paint work!!!  Well obviously they did a shitty job so now I have a nice new truck with a fucked up looking door.  Its been painted three different times, twice by the dealership and once by an independant body shop.  I still don't think its perfect and  to this day I hate the truck...yes, I hate it because of the door, stupid I know but damn... My truck is a year old with 5,000 miles (i don't drive it because it pissed me off)

the point I'm making is don't keep repainting it, you'll never be happy........
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Screw me once, your fault. screw me twice, my fault.
Demand a new car. No exceptions.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:48:29 AM EDT
[#48]
You need to tell them you want another car.  The painting process they're doing is NOT going to hold up like the factory paint.  The factory paint is pretty much baked on and is cured to be a LOT harder than the paint that they're putting on it to fix their screw-ups (unless they're correctly baking/curing it, which I doubt).  

I had a dealership "fix" a car I had and the paint on the hood they put on there was horrible.    It was so soft that any bird crap that hit it etched it.  The rest of the car didn't do that.  It scratched easier, showed marks worse, etc...  it was just horrible.

I predict lots of aggravation on your part if you "ok" the paint repairs they're doing and don't demand a new car.  You paid for a new car and that's what you should be getting, not a car with a ton of paint fogged onto it by Billy Bob at the Honda Stealership.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#49]
If you are anywhere that uses salt on the roads, you can expect that repainted body panel to start rusting within a year or two.  Do not accept the car.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 5:00:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Holy shit, this car is still jacked up and they still can't fix it?????

You shoulda bought a used car!

Yep.  I like not losing sleep over little dings and shit.  Paying way too much for the utility and then being concerned about minor imperfections affecting some arbitrary value is asinine.

I agree, however.  You paid for "new", and you should get it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top