Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2001 11:02:26 AM EDT
Airport Security Failed To Detect Weapon In Briefcase
Posted: 8:35 a.m. EDT October 24, 2001
Updated: 3:35 p.m. EDT October 24, 2001

KENNER, La. -- A man with a loaded weapon in his carry-on bag passed through security and boarded a Southwest Airlines flight at Louis Armstrong International Airport Tuesday.

The man was headed to San Diego, and was able to get past the magnetometers at a security checkpoint with a loaded gun in his briefcase.

The man said that he didn't realize that he had the gun on him until midway through the flight, at which point he notified a flight attendant about the situation.

"It is my understanding that the Southwest employee worked with the pilot and that the gun was secured before landing in Phoenix," Phoenix International Airport spokesperson Suzanne Luber said.

The man was interviewed by Phoenix police and the FBI. So far, he has not been charged with any crime. But it raises a bigger question: how secure are airport security checkpoints?

"Airports unfortunately have a very limited responsibility as far as the security checkpoint (is concerned)," Luber said. "It is really the airline's responsibility. But both airlines and airport want to be very serious about security measures and it seems unfortunate that anything got through."

Although no criminal charges have been filed, the man still could face civil penalties and fines by the FAA for bringing a weapon on board a plane, whether he knew about it or not.

Ever since flights resumed after the Sept. 11 attacks many airlines, including Southwest, began conducting random searches of baggage.

The baggage is searched by the airline and the carry-ons are searched by airport security.

The security is usually a private company hired by the airline. In New Orleans, security is provided by a company called International Total Services.
----------------
[url]http://www.koin.com/sh/news/stories/nat-news-102786320011024-131027.html[/url]
----------------

Jeez, who needs boxcutters with "tightened" security like that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate when that happens. [:D]
Ice
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#2]
funny...he dosnt want trouble so he tells an attendant he could of kept his mouth shut...now they are talking about fining him....a$$backwards.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking the same thing WOIM.

I think I would've just kept my mouth shut at that point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top