Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2001 8:42:01 AM EDT
Ok, I sent an email to [email protected] asking for nearby Walther dealers so I could go look at and/or purchase a P99.  The reply I got is this:
"Please go to our web site at www.smith-wesson.com and click onto information and  then onto locate a dealer."
From this person:
[email protected]

Does anyone know what the relationship between Smith and Wesson and Walther is?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Interarms used to distribute Walther in the US. Since 1999 S&W has taken this task over. They also make all Walthers sold in the US.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, but S&W does NOT make the Walther pistols that are sold in the US. S&W does make a clone of the Walther P99.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I called Walther up on their 800 number, and the man on the other side said they are renting office space from them, and that is the extent of the relationship 2 years ago, he said that they are a seperate and independent company, I don't know if it has change in the interim.  In the S&W brochure, the SW99's frame is manufactured by Walther, and the slide & barrel is by S&W.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, if that is their stance so be it. It is a fact that the "Made In USA" stamped Walthers are manufactured in S&W plants. Whether they are made by "S&W employees" or "Walther US employees" is purely a matter of semantics.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#6]
They are still seperate companies.  Walther still manufactures the pistols that are sold here in the US.

[img]http://www.ereliant.net/~jshaw/pics/guns/sw99-1.jpg[/img]

That's the SW99.  The slide and everything above the frame is manufactured by S&W.  The frame is made in Europe by Walther and imported over.  On the other side of the gun, at the top of the frame by the takedown latch is a "Made by Walther" logo.

Here's the Walther P99:

[img]www.walther-usa.com/images/p99.jpg[/img]

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top