Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2001 9:57:33 PM EDT
I am considering buying an EXTENDED SLIDE STOP from Brownell's made by King's.  Anybody ever used one of this things before on a regular 1911? How is it. Need help.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Target gun:OK
Carry gun:No way
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
What size 1911 and what do you use it for? If this is a defensive gun can you manage the slidestop as it is now? Or do you have to readjust the gun to be able to function it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
SA-TRP 1911-A1. I can let the slide go with my left thumb but I have to rotate the gun 45deg. to use the right thumb. The gun is for ALL purposes, carry and range. Based on my experience with the revolver I'm trying to be able to use one hand ONLY just in case in a short amount ot time. From those that have one how does it feel when shooting and what are the pros and cons please.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
While im shooting my grip is not close enough to involve the slidestop. But since your gun is multirole i would get it. It may make the gun wider when carrying, but if you need to make a reload and you use the slidestop in your reloads, doesnt it make sense to be able to reach it? This will increase your speed and accuracy as you will not have to reposition your hand on the gun every time you reload.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While im shooting my grip is not close enough to involve the slidestop. But since your gun is multirole i would get it. It may make the gun wider when carrying, but if you need to make a reload and you use the slidestop in your reloads, doesnt it make sense to be able to reach it? This will increase your speed and accuracy as you will not have to reposition your hand on the gun every time you reload.
View Quote

Until you really need to put rounds downrange fast,get your hands in a bad position from the draw and accidentaly bump it, leaving you with a large shiny hunk of useless metal in your fist.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Please, of those that have it post any pictures of the area. It would help me a lot in makeing my mind by having a visual input.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't know about people's experience level with them but my other carry gun had one on it.  Worked well.  My duty holster was a little tight to snap, use a Level III Safariland but had no problems with the slide stop and it's functioning.

I have sense retired my Colt and sold it.  I carry a Kimber now and will be adding one, once I have some other projects taken care of.  I also must rotate my grip in order to release the slide.  This pistol is also my SRT pistol.  In this business, when you have to reload, then you got to do it fast because if you're having to reload in a deployement, then things have gotten pretty ugly and you must get your firearm back in service.

My buddy, who is the primary medic on our team, was playing with his Colt that he built up himself.  It has an extended release on it.  We went to the range Monday and shot a BUNCH of rounds.  He had no problems with it.

I guess it just works for some and others it don't.  But I have seen it work for me and will be getting one soon.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top