Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2001 9:35:36 PM EDT
Back in June of 1989 I was going to go on a 2 week kayak trip in Price William Sound area of Alaska with 3 friends who were avid kayakers. This was going to be my graduation present for myself for finishing university.  We had planned for this trips for almost a year and spent a lot of time training and preparing our equipment.  All 4 of us were mentally and physically ready for the trip.  Then the diseaster struck... Exxon Valdez incident occured just a little more than 2 months before we were to leave.  Needless to say, our trip was cancelled.

Tonight I get a phone call from my brother-in-law.  He said he and 5 of his friends are planning a 18-20 day kayak trip to Alaska next June as a graduation gift.  Instead of going to Prince William Sound they are headed to some bay near Nome area.  Since he does not have enough money to buy all the equpment he wanted to know if he can take some of my stuff... including a gun.

Needless to say I have no problem with my brother-in-law using anything I have but I don't know which gun I should let him take.  I'm thinking that the gun I was going to take on my trip would be ideal... a Remington 870 with 18" barrel loaded with 1oz slugs.  The gun's purpose is not for collecting food or anything like that but for protection against bears.  Also, he has been shooting trap and skeet with my Rem 870 for about 5 years so he knows how to operate, clean and maintain the shotgun.  My second choice is the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 which he has shot several times.  He said 3 other people will be bringing guns (a Winchester 94 in 30-30, Mossy 500 with rifled barrel and a Winchester 70 in 338WM).  He said 2 other friends will not bring guns because they have very little experience with them.          

So what do you think, a Rem870 or the Marlin 1895 for the trip??    
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Whichever one is the cheapest.[:D] Alaska can be hard on guns if you're not careful.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
45-70
You'd have a hard time killin' a bear with a shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking that I'll let my brother-in-law take the Rem870 and let the friend with the Winchester 30-30 take the Marlin 45-70 instead.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have a 44 mag. hand gun?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#6]
slugs in the 870 will work ok on bears I hear
john
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Sound like fun...Why don't you tack along and bring your AR?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#8]
To bad you didn't get to Prince William Sound. Its a beautifull area, I work for a telephone company and one of our sites is on an island in the middle of the sound. Went there this past summer and caught several halibut 100 yds off shore. Trying to get the boss to move me there, but so far not biting. I've also been to Nome, not as nice as the sound. If you get the chance to visit don't pass up Prince William Sound......[:D]

Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
45-70
You'd have a hard time killin' a bear with a shotgun.
View Quote

Your kidding, right?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#10]
870 without hesitation. That is what almost all guides carry, both private and public. Load it with 00 buck.

.44mag handgun, only with the front sight taken off, you know why... [;)]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#11]
My friend who spends a considerble amount of time on Baffin Island by himself always carries a 870 with slugs. I wouldnt want to shoot a bear with a 30-30 but it is better than nothing I suppose.

Ropes
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Boy, I would love to go and I still have my old kayak that I was going to use on my trip.  However, I can't take much time off next year as I'm saving all my vacation days for the birth of my first child.  Also, I'm not sure if I'm in physical shape for such trip.  When I was training for my trip I was paddling 5-10 miles almost every night and 20-25 miles on saturday and sunday with 100 pound load in the kayak.  Now I only paddle 5 miles or so few days a month if I'm lucky.  

I have 44mags but none of the guys have any experience with this type of handgun.  I don't want them carrying something they are not familar with.  All they boys will be coming to my house for the Christmas holiday break and I told them all to bring their guns.  I want to take them out to make sure they know what they are doing.  Also, to see if the kid with the 30-30 will take the 45-70 instead.

Finally, what kind of load is best in the 12G shotguns?  I'm not so sure about using buckshots on bears.  I would think one of the slugs would be better.  Which brings up which slug???

Damn I wish I went when I was younger.        
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]
the 870 will stop anything!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top